INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote was never a fully functional remote on Android  (Read 751 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
JRemote was never a fully functional remote on Android
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:46:43 pm »

I'd like to quote and comment on this thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,96348.msg850542.html#msg850542

"Quote from: thecrow on November 02, 2019, 12:48:27 pm
Wow that is a kick in the teeth for all of us that paid for the original and never got a fully working app.

JimH reply was: Sorry if you feel that way, but it was a working remote.  It may not have been perfect.

We now have about half a man year in the new version and we need to cover the costs.
"

Well, it has been documented over and over again in this forum for so many years that JRemote was never a fully functional remote on Android. Frankly, I have given up all network playback with JRiver (it is still stellar in my home cinema!!). There are at least one competitor that does all the things JRemote, EOS, Gizmo have never been able to, which is a seamless user experience for all kinds of media (photo, movies, music) for playback on phone or casting to smart TVs/chromecasts.

That said, I will of course consider JRemote2 when it becomes available, even if it would take a lot of convincing to switch habits on remotes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote was never a fully functional remote on Android
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 01:09:48 pm »

If you have had problems with MC over a network, please bump your thread or provide more details.

Trumpetguy

Re: JRemote was never a fully functional remote on Android
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »

In general, I have not had any network related problems with MC. The shortcomings are on the remotes' user experience and functionality.
Without digging up the posts that I have posted over the years, I can summarize network playback like this:

Audio: Works fine with JRemote, Gizmo, EOS when used as remote controls for DLNA playback. Usually flawless, but lately mobile playback has been working...or not. Seems random.
Photo: JRemote never worked for local mobile playback. Eos and Gizmo sort of worked, but lacking hugely on user experience.
Video: JRemote, EOS and Gizmo have been able to play back video on mobile for some time, but have showstopping shortcomings on functionality when used as remote for casting to chromecast/SmartTVs:
- Not possible to adjust bitrate
- Not possible to change subtitles (deal breaker for family)
- Not possible to change audio track (partly a deal breaker for family)

The full MC client running on network computers does all these things. My complaint list is related to using the Android remote only.

Pages: [1]   Go Up