INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Access key help needed (Solved)  (Read 1730 times)

erviv

• World Citizen
Media Access key help needed (Solved)
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:19:06 am »

I have two rpi's each running Media Centre 25 version 114.  Both running with a MC26 Master License. Both are hard wired to the same router.  They were working fine until I upgraded one from Stretch to Buster.  When I upgraded one rpi to buster, as a fresh install,  I re-installed MC25.  While I am sorting out the buster issues I noticed that now both rpi's JRiver have the same media access key.  Previously they had different access keys.
The rpi that I upgraded now has the same media access key as the rpi that is still based on stretch.  This doesn't make sense as JRemote needs a distinct access key to identify the correct rpi, and I thought that the access keys were a random 6 digit code. I was having some library issues, so I restored the library from my stretch rpi to my buster rpi, I wouldn't have thought this might be the source of my problem, but that is the only thing I can see that I have done differently from any other time that I have re-installed MC.
 How can I get the buster rpi's MC to get a new access key? I tried the reset and that didn't do anything, and I don't see any option to generate a new code.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Access key help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 10:44:30 am »

In MC Options, turn Media Network off and back on.  That will generate a new Access Key.

erviv

• World Citizen
Re: Media Access key help needed
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 11:20:57 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had already tried this on my buster rpi to no avail. I am doing a second fresh install on my buster rpi with a new sd card, hopefully to resolve some different issues with raspian, so cant try it again on that rpi.
However just tried it on my stretch rpi and the access key remained the same. To turn off the media network I opened tools/options and unchecked the box “use media network to share this library....”. Then ok’d and closed mc, then re-opened mc rechecked the “use media network....” and the same access key was given. I tried it with just unchecking and saving and re-checking the box first, but got the same acccess key, hence tried to go through the restart to see if that made a difference.

Not sure what to try next.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

erviv

• World Citizen
Re: Media Access key help needed - solved
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:57:19 pm »

I re-installed buster and JRiver on my rpi. I checked the access key and saw that it was a new value. Good.  However I wanted to restore the back up copy of my library from my stretch rpi, which I did. Yes it seems the media access key is associated with the library back up, as now my buster rpi access key was changed to the same as my stretch rpi, from which I did the library back up.
Toggling the media network off and on didn’t reset the access key. However I tried again tools/options/ and right clicked on Access Key and then clicked on reset. - and it worked this time. I now have a new distinct access key.  Not sure what happened the first time around,  perhaps I missed when trying to click on reset
Pages: [1]   Go Up