INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple SHUFFLE toggle?  (Read 697 times)

GeorgiaPine

• Recent member
Simple SHUFFLE toggle?
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:44:21 pm »

Hi, I'm new to this SW and wonder how to simple shuffle. I've seen the posts about the wondrous paradigm of "Playing Now", and how my expectations of a shuffle button are all wrong, and I need to get on the learning curve, and see the immense possibilities open up for me. I'll need a concise and informative overview page for that-at minimum--something that explains the big picture expectations first before going into the mass of details..... Thanks in advance.

What I really need right now though is a simple work around, when I'm listening to  a massive folder on my drive, on shuffle, to STOP the shuffle and continue straight thru from there, based on how it's sorted right then. One button press. And THEN, I need to know how to press the button, and it immediately goes back to randomly playing what I've chosen--whether it is a "playlist" or a folder full of flac.
If that's possible, please do tell.

If it's NOT possible, then please do tell. I have a few more weeks in the trial....
Thx
Dorsey :)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Simple SHUFFLE toggle?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 02:34:15 pm »

Playing Now is both simple and a bit hard to describe. 

The simple part:  Playing Now is just a list of files you want to play.  Add files to it and they get played, in order.  If you are on #39, #40 gets played next.  Drag stuff up and down.  Add to it.  Subtract files from it.  It just plays in order.  Press pause and it pauses.  Play and it plays.  Restart playback from any track by double clicking that track.  Now it plays from that track on down, in order.  Simple.

Shuffling:  MC has a shuffle mode.  It adds files to Playing Now in a random order.  They are played in order.   In the list from the top to the bottom.  But they are put into the list in random order.  I find this a little confusing because I can't always tell what will happen when I *add* files to this list.

There's another way that I really like:  Add whatever you want to Playing Now.  A song or two.  An album or two or three or more.  They all appear in Playing Now in a linear order.  But I want them shuffled!  So I press control-R.  Or select Player > Shuffle > Reshuffle.  That takes everything in Playing Now and puts it into random order.  Exactly what I want.  I can then rearrange selectively if I want to.  Delete files selectively if I chose.  ...and it plays in this one time randomized order.

You can also reshuffle only the remaining songs.  So that the ones you already listened to (up above in Playing Now) don't get mixed back in .  Player > Shuffle > reshuffle remaining

Now your idea of "listening to a folder", shuffling, unshufflling, and then back to the original shuffled order... I don't think this is easily possible.  If you can describe what you are trying to do, we might have a way for you to do it.  The way this is described, I'm not sure why you would do this, or what it would do for you.

I hope this helps some.  Playing Now is really awesome.  If you spend a little time with it, I think you'll get comfortable with it and the neat things it lets you do.

Ok, one neat thing just to show you...

Say you added all files in a folder to Playing Now and you did reshuffle (control-R) to randomize them.  You listen for a while, and a Metallica song comes on.  You're REALLY not in the mood for Metallica so you press "next".  Then you realize there are 20 Metallica songs in this folder and now they are all mixed in randomly.  What to do??

Leave everything as it is.  Keep the current song playing.  Now go to the search box at the upper right and start typing:  Metallica .  This will search only Playing Now and show you all the Metallica songs.  Now you go down to this filtered list, highlight all, and press delete.  *Poof* they disappear from Playing Now.  Erase your search and your Playing Now is still going, in the exact same shuffled order.  Except that now all the Metallica songs are not in Playing Now any more.  You smile and admire the design of MC and Playing Now.

Take care,

Brian.

GeorgiaPine

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:15:17 pm »

Thanks, that's a good start....what I've been doing is choosing Audio>ALL FLAC>Classical, and then my entire classical collection shows up. I can then hit shuffle, and it plays randomly.
I am now curious how I would do a search, within my "classical" collection folder, say FIRST, for the conductor, Giulini. THEN, I want a sub-search to single out only his "Beethoven."  Then, maybe even a sub-search of that, for "concerto".
Can you please direct me how best to do such a thing? I don't care if it's in "Audio" or "Playing Now" of course....
thanks again!

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »

GeorgiaPine

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 02:00:02 pm »

Thx, I will. I have another question about correcting a misspelled composer name, for 20+ files. I select them all, then ALt+E to open tag edit. It doesn't open. This can't mean that I have to open 20+ individual files to correct a composers name, right? What is the way? SOmetimes I also want to add dates, etc for multiple files...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 02:13:19 pm »

Search for misspelling.

Select all displayed.

Edit the composer field in the Tag Window.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:21:40 pm »

Thx, I will. I have another question about correcting a misspelled composer name, for 20+ files. I select them all, then ALt+E to open tag edit.

I'm not sure where the "Alt-E" came from.  In MC, the tagging window can be opened several ways.  A keyboard shortcut is Alt-Enter .  Or there's a menu item:  Edit > Tag

If you have several songs selected when you open the Tag Window, you will be able to edit them all at the same time to change common values like Artist, Composer, Album, etc.

I second Moe's suggestion to use a Panes view for your browsing/searching needs..  I think you will find it very friendly to do what you want to.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up