INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing Paths and Filenames with special characters (Accents, etc.) Mac/PC  (Read 12388 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Imported playlists are mostly empty because of broken links (I think).
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 02:57:46 am »

I verified, my Audio Folder rule is currently set to the MC default of [Artist]\[Album]\.

Okay, so we know that is what we should use in the RM&CF function. It may cause some issues, but it is going to be as accurate as we can, because it sounds like your metadata isn't consistent.

When you say "directory rule"

I was referring to the "directory rule" in the Rename, Move & Copy Files function, which is active when the "Directories" checkbox is ticked. The "Base Path" I referred to is also part of the RM&CF function. We are using the RM&CF function to fix the special characters in the path and file names. Nothing else at the moment.

If your directory rule has always been the default, and that is "[Artist]\[Album]\", then that is what we use to try to fix your Library.

I'm a bit confused by your above comment regarding El Huracan.  First of all, where do you see the Album Artist (auto) and the other fields you talk about?

I added those fields to the View I am using for testing. You can do that by right-clicking anywhere on the column heading (i.e. on the [Name] column and selecting a new field to add as a column - you can drag the columns left and right to put them in a sequence you want to see). I wanted to look at them to see what we should use for the "Directory Rule". Now we know, we leave it at "[Artist]\[Album]\".

From what I can see in MC El Huracan IS under the Artist "Alfredo.... ".

But under [Album Artist] "El Húracan", and hence [Album Artist (auto)] is "El Húracan".

Although I do have 10 different versions of El Huracan from different Albums, different orchestras etc., each using different naming conventions for Album, Album Artist etc... it's a mess!!  My guess it this is a long term project of manual fixing as I go.  No hurry on this. Just need library & playlists to work again, then I can clean up.

Yes, by the sound of it there is a lot to do. I can't really help with fixing all your metadata, or recommending how to handle composers, for example, as there are many ways to do it in MC, and it really comes down to personal preference.

There are quite a few threads on handling metadata for orchestral and classical music, and where to get the metadata from. That is a task for the future.

Yes, only Working with Windows7 right now.  <snip>  I wish I wasn't doing all the Library modifications there, because it's such a pain.  But I guess I'm already halfway committed.

If that external drive has original version of the files, and I'm sure you still have the Library Backup from Step 11 in post 15 above, or one after the transfer process in post 30, so you could move to the Windows 10 PC. At worst, the original files are on the Mac, with a Library Backup, and everything we have done is documented in this thread, so you haven't lost anything. That is up to you. I assume that the W10 PC is faster.
Also, the only actual fixing we have done after your transfer process is some Option Settings and the the RM&CF function, I think.

The (1) suffix was already in Finder on the MAC.  So it was also there in Explorer. What happened is when I accidentally did the Rename "[Track #] - [Name]" to clean up the special characters, neither of us realized that it would remove the (1) from MC making those files unreadable.

I realised, and expected, the " (1)" suffix to be removed in MC, and also on the file itself, as shown in Windows Explorer. Even though MC is showing the files as missing, and hence unplayable, Windows seems to be able to find them no problem. MC uses Windows functions to rename files, so I expected the RM&CF function to both update MC and rename the files.

I couldn't test for this, as my file system isn't broken, and the sample files you shared were always playable after they were imported.

It sounds like the RM&CF function run to update the file name did not update Windows, and hence left the " (1)" suffix on those files.

You said:
Update To Post:
Regarding the Filenames ending in (1) in Explorer but not in MC:  I used RM&CM to change one filename in MC and it played.

So I believed that my assumption was correct, and the file would be renamed in Windows.

UPDATE:
I see you have reversed the removal of the suffix, and now removed the suffix in MC and Explorer. Good.

So did you reverse the file renaming on all files, or just the ones with the suffix. I guess it doesn't matter too much, because if you try to rename files to the name they already have, MC will just not make changes. See attached image for how the RM&CF function should look.

BE CAREFUL to select and test just a few files. If the change looks wrong, Ctrl+Z will undo the change.

Select and test with files that have special characters in the path and file name. Make sure you refresh all MC and Explorer views when yu check the result. Both of them sometimes don't update their views quickly.

Check in Explorer after changing just a few files, to see they have been renamed in Windows (use the "On Disk (external)" function).

You need to confirm that:
The file names and paths in MC match the file names and paths in Explorer.
That MC doesn't show the files as missing.
That the files are playable.
That when you try to edit the [Filename (path)] or [filename (name)] field in a View in MC, using the F2 function or right-click and selecting "Rename", that the special characters look correct, without the gap.

You could also add the "Playlists" column to your View, if you wish, and check if the test files still have the names of any Playlists they belong to recorded in there.

By the way, I suspect that the RM&CF function will say "No Change" on some of your test files, and won't fix the problem. If that is the case was will try a slightly different idea. Hopefully though we can whittle down the number of files to deal with, step by step.

Sorry for my very long posts. But the devil is in the detail.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2019, 04:06:57 pm »

HALLELUJAH...  I finally finished manual fixes to pathnames & the likes!!!  All files play and playlists are intact!  ;D ;D ;D  Hard to believe... I'm pinching myself!

I managed to document my process as detailed as possible, but I don't know if I should post it somewhere since it was very specific to my situation.  Let me know what you think.

Just did a Library Backup & I'm copying music folders & Library to External HD which will be ported to Windows 10 as soon as it's finished copying.  Fingers, toes, legs & eyes crossed!!

I assume I don't need to do anything special with regards to Loading a Library on the Windows 10 machine when I do the Restore?   I'm still digesting how this Loading a Library works.

Going forward, I think it will make more sense to first upgrade my MacOS to Maverick (from Sierra) before moving to MC25 in case MC25 is anticipating the latest MacOC to already be installed.  Do you agree with this thinking?  I'll probably wait until next week until I make sure everything looks okay with the DB.

BTW, when do I turn Auto-Import back on?  You don't suppose this could cause more duplicates or issues do you?  Is there a best practice or rule for setting "Ignore files previously removed from library" under Configure Auto-Import?      And, when/how is it safe to delete the “Media Center 22 on Mac” folder under My Backups (in MAC Finder)?  It's still showing in MC.
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2019, 04:20:31 pm »

Opps, I didn't see your last post before I wrote mine because it wasn't obvious there was a Pg2.   

Regarding RM&CF Directory rule.  I rarely use this, so I’m not too versed in how it works, but I think I understand how to use this to move folders around.   Is the base path the source and the Rule the destination?   Is there any advantage in to trying to change my entire DB to [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\?  Is there ever a case when you use the Browse button under Base Path to select something more specific than D:\Music\My Music\??

I suspect El Huracan was one of the many that were manually at some point – either as I Ripped CD’s or afterwards. 

Check in Explorer after changing just a few files, to see they have been renamed in Windows (use the "On Disk (external)" function).

I did this on a few, but it was time consuming.  I ended up just clicking the file to see if it plays, and to check Explorer to make sure representation was accurate. Then I did the final test for missing files and there are zero!!.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Fixing Paths and Filenames with special characters (Accents, etc.) Mac/PC
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2019, 06:02:26 pm »

Excellent that you have everything working, by the sound of it.

I managed to document my process as detailed as possible, but I don't know if I should post it somewhere since it was very specific to my situation.  Let me know what you think.

Post it, and change the name at the top of your post to something like the name I have used for this post. See above.

You could also change the thread name, which you can do by Modifying the first post in the thread and changing its Subject. I can't modify that post.

I assume I don't need to do anything special with regards to Loading a Library on the Windows 10 machine when I do the Restore?

Nothing special. You should load both the Library and the Settings, which is the default.

Going forward, I think it will make more sense to first upgrade my MacOS to Maverick (from Sierra) before moving to MC25 in case MC25 is anticipating the latest MacOC to already be installed.  Do you agree with this thinking?  I'll probably wait until next week until I make sure everything looks okay with the DB.

No, I don't agree. As I posted earlier, the discounted Upgrade price is available until December 10th. See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122405.0.html So buy now and take advantage of the 15% discount. You don't have to install it immediately though. In fact, do run MC23 for a week or so, and make sure everything is fixed and working correctly.

I assume that you have a MC Master Licence, since you are using Mac and Windows PCs.

I think the minimum System Requirements for MC25/26 OSX are still the same as documented here; https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/OSX_System_Requirements, although that is an old article.

Also, OS X Mavericks is version 10.9.5, while macOS Sierra is version 10.12.6. So I assume you have Mavericks now, and are thinking of updating to Sierra? Catalina is the latest, if your hardware supports it.
Reference: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201260

BTW, when do I turn Auto-Import back on?

As soon as you have a good Library Backup with all the fixes, and have finished copying music files to the external drive, so that you have a fixed version of the files.

Is there a best practice or rule for setting "Ignore files previously removed from library" under Configure Auto-Import?

That is debatable, but given the history of your Library, I would leave that turned on, as long as the number of files in your Library matches the number of files on your hard drive, within reason. If they don't match, we can discuss further.

And, when/how is it safe to delete the “Media Center 22 on Mac” folder under My Backups (in MAC Finder)?  It's still showing in MC.

You can delete that now, as long as there is nothing important under there. Your Library Backups now go elsewhere, to "/Users/susiemelo/Documents/My Backups/Media Center/Library Backups" so they are safe.

But what about the exported Playlist files you created? Where did they go again? I think it was under "/Users/susiemelo/Documents/My Backups/Media Center 22 on MAC/Library Backups/Playlists” as per the image below.

Make sure you keep those files until you are completely happy with all these fixes. Just move them somewhere else.

Shut down MC on the Mac first, delete, then start MC and see if that “MC Library Backup” Library disappears. That may be the solution for deleting that Library under Playing Now, but I don't think so. I still don't know how to delete the "Bad Main Library" and “MC Library Backup” Library in your Mac, if they are still there. Your image on Post 25 shows the latter gone, but it doesn't show the "Bad Main Library", so maybe that was from earlier.

You should also check if your Mac actually has a folder;
"/Users/susiemelo/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 23/Library\" which is associated with the "Bad Main Library" and has the backslash at the end, as opposed to the correct;
"/Users/susiemelo/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 23/Library/" which is associated with the "Main Library" and is the Library and folder which you are now using.

If there is really a "/Users/susiemelo/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 23/Library\", delete that as well, with MC closed.

If deleting the folders doesn't remove the unwanted Libraries from MC, asking how to do that may be a good question for a new thread in the MC25 Mac forum.

Whew. Another long post. But all questions answered.

Location of exported Playlist files.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2019, 06:13:42 pm »

Oh, there was one more post!

Regarding RM&CF Directory rule.

The Wiki article describes this pretty well: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Directories

Is there any advantage in to trying to change my entire DB to [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\?

Only if you first go through and fix your metadata so that [Album Artist (auto)] works correctly in all cases. Maybe after your long term project to fix up "the mess".  ;)

Is there ever a case when you use the Browse button under Base Path to select something more specific than D:\Music\My Music\??

While it can be done, no, not really, at least for music.. Particularly as you have a matching "My Music" folder on the Mac and PCs. Videos and Images will have a different Base Paths, I hope

Then I did the final test for missing files and there are zero!!.

As above: Excellent!

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Re: Fixing Paths and Filenames with special characters (Accents, etc.) Mac/PC
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2019, 09:33:14 pm »

I did try to change the thread name, but it doesn't seem to have worked.  I went to my original post and clicked on Modify, entered what you wrote and saved.  It shows in that post, but not the others.

Thank you for correcting me on my OS :P.  I said Maverick, but I meant Mojave (senior moment).  Not ready to go to Catalina because that's 64-bit, which will require me to purchase almost all new apps (MS Office, Adobe, and other) and most require a subscription now - when I own a perpetual license that I don't want to part with.  I am fundamentally agains subscriptions!  I just purchased the upgrade to MC26 but was will planning to upgrade my MacOS first since MC25/MC26 would likely function better if my OS is "mostly" up to date.  Now do you agree?

I deleted my  “Media Center 22 on Mac” folder after closing MC and it reopened just fine, but the Library was still there with the backslash.  I checked Finder and found no such folder.  I noticed it was no longer alled "Bad Main Library" and the DIRECTV2PC option has disappeared - not sure when all that happened.  I renamed that Main Library to Bad Main Library again and the DIRECTV2PC option showed up again. 

Thank you again for so much help on so many things!

Okay, my files are done copying.  I'm going to open MC and Restore the Library.  We've been waiting for this moment!!  I'll write shortly...

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Fixing Paths and Filenames with special characters (Accents, etc.) Mac/PC
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2019, 09:33:48 pm »

One more thing before I move to Windows10.

I just turn on Auto-Import on Windows7 and after it ran it says it Imported 0 files, Fixed 7805 broken links.  (0 fixed, 7805 removed).  Updated 7002 files that had external changes.  This sounds scary!  I can never understand the results window - not enough details for me to make sense of.  Anyhow, I thought I just fixed everything?  And, I had Fix broken links turned "Off".   So did this make it better or worse?  I have a copy of the report in a .txt file in case you want to see it.

When I look at properties for \My Music\ it says I have 8127 files.  Now MC has 8120 (Windows7).  Seems like something was added w/o messing up my playlists, which is good, but I'm not sure what just happened.  This Auto-Import gives me anxiety.  :P

Before the Auto-Import MC had 8065 files - Now there's 8120 (Windows7).

Update:    Just noticed the Eternal HD & Windows10 have 8128 files - 1 more than Windows7 and I copied directly from Windows7 directory and haven't touched it since.I found a couple of duplicate Artist folders that got created during the Renaming process so I used RM&CF to fix that, so I'm recopying my music folders to HD, then to Windows 10.  Please advise if the results of the Auto-Import are anything to be concerned with.   

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2019, 10:39:35 pm »

It shows in that post, but not the others.

That's normal. With the first and recent posts renamed, the new name is what everyone will see in the forum.

(senior moment).

We are allowed those.  ;D

I am fundamentally against subscriptions!

Me too! They invariably cost more, unless you rarely use the software, and like Adobe you can start and stop the subscription at will, to keep the total cost down.

Now do you agree?

Yes.

DIRECTV2PC option showed up again. 

That must be a media server of some sort on your network. They take a little while to show up. A NAS running a DLNA server would be one example, or a Media Server on a router. If the router, there should be a setting to turn that off.

One more thing before I move to Windows10.

Hmmm. I think if the number of files on the W7 PC match approximately the number on the Mac, then all is good.

Importing 0 files is good. That means all your files were already in the Library, and so no more with slightly different names were found and imported. If MC actually removed 7805 files, you would know about it. If it just still had 7805 internal links that were broken, and it fixed them, then I guess that is fine. Updating for external changes is a bit strange, as you did all changes through MC. But as the files where copied from the Mac, they would have had different Date Modified or Created values, and so that information would be updated in the W7 Library. If there were 7002 files in your Library that didn't have special characters, I would expect that.

So, don't worry about it. Run Auto Import again manually (Tools > Import > Run Auto-Iimport now) a couple of times to see if any more changes that can't be explained happen. Then move the Library to the W10 PC and start using that. But do look for any issues for a week or so.

Thank you again for so much help on so many things!

You are welcome. It has been a long journey.

Post your new detailed process when you get time, for others to learn from.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2019, 10:42:20 pm »

Update:    Just noticed the Eternal HD & Windows10 have 8128 files - 1 more than Windows7 and I copied directly from Windows7 directory and haven't touched it since.

Probably just a thumbs.db or desktop.ini file, created on W10, or after you checked W7. Look in the root directory of the drive, although it may be a hidden file.

Nothing to worry about.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2019, 11:01:04 pm »

While I'm waiting to copy the final final version of my music folder & MC Library, I just couldn't wait... I went ahead and Restored the Library on Windows 10.

IT WORKED!!!  YES!!!  My Windows 10 machine recognizes every audio file and the playlists seem perfect!! Fantastic!!   The last thing I have to do to be fully up and running on Windows10 is copying the final version of my music folders & MC Library which was just to fix the last duplicates.  That should be a breeze.

I CAN'T SAY THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!  YES, THIS HAS BEEN A LONG JOURNEY AND I NEVER THOUGHT IN A MILLION YEARS THAT ANYONE WOULD HELP ME THIS MUCH!  I AM TIRED AND CROSSEYED.  NOW FOR SOME REST.   Looking forward to working with you again in the future.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »

8)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2019, 05:52:46 pm »

Hi RoderickGI.... Another Great News!!   I thought you'd like to know the "Bad Main Library" has finally disappeared from Playing from Main Library (one Windows 10).  Perhaps MC needed to be closed and reopened... I thought I did so, but don't recall. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2019, 06:07:56 pm »

Well, under Windows Libraries can be deleted. Maybe as the directory doesn't exist on Windows, MC removed the reference. Also, the Libraries that exist are tied more to the installation and settings than the Library Backup, I think, and we did run one Restore without settings, so that may have meant that the "Bad Main Library" was never created.

It is on the Mac that we couldn't delete the "Bad Main Library". Maybe when you do a Library Backup on W10, and a Restore on the Mac, with settings, the "Bad Main Library" will also disappear.

Also if you upgrade to MC25/26, only the "Main Library" will be created, I think (it has been a year since I did an upgrade!), unless you create and restore other Libraries. So it should disappear then.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2019, 05:23:09 pm »

I see what you mean.  It's still there on the MAC, but not on Windows 10.  Okay, looking forward to doing all the upgrades!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up