INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Video Freeze  (Read 544 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRemote Video Freeze
« on: November 28, 2019, 08:25:49 am »

[Edit]
I accidentally removed the thread on this topic.  I was able to salvage the last few posts.  Apologies.

JimH
[/Edit]

Author Topic: JRemote Video Freeze  (Read 2644 times)

bob

Re: JRemote Video Freeze
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2019, 09:00:28 am »

Checking on to see if there has been any progress on this issue. Everything I try to watch on my iPad freezes within 4 minutes.
From what I understand from Hendrik this can't be fixed until the method of streaming is changed from HLS. I don't know what time timeline is for this.

-------------------------------------------------------------

captain starlight

« Reply #51 on: Today at 04:13:38 am »

From what I understand from Hendrik this can't be fixed until the method of streaming is changed from HLS. I don't know what time timeline is for this.
This problem of videos freezing within minutes is dang annoying.  If I knew about this issue then I wouldn’t have forked out for jremote. Would be very nice to have it fixed.

I think to be fair for potential buyers of jremote that you should offer it for free until this bug is fixed.  Otherwise, they (like many others) are paying for an app with a known bug that renders the app near useless.

Hendrik

« Reply #52 on: Today at 04:51:15 am »

Strictly speaking its a bug in the apple video playback component and how brain dead it pre-buffers the video until it kills itself with too much buffering (you know, instead of just loading enough to guarantee stable playback). But we all know that we shouldn't expect Apple to actually care, so instead we have to do major renovations to entirely re-design how we deliver video, and that will simply take time.

Boson Higgs

« Reply #53 on: Today at 05:20:01 am »

Any chance there exists a simpler workaround (considering that HLS seems to be a popular video delivery protocol)?

tyler69

« Reply #54 on: Today at 07:16:59 am »
Strictly speaking its a bug in the apple video playback component and how brain dead it pre-buffers the video until it kills itself with too much buffering (you know, instead of just loading enough to guarantee stable playback). But we all know that we shouldn't expect Apple to actually care, so instead we have to do major renovations to entirely re-design how we deliver video, and that will simply take time.
Video playback does not work for me since I have bought JRemote a few years ago. To me it gets a bit tiresome to keep reading how Apple is to blame for things not working/not supported. Other vendors can do it, so things are certainly possible to fix/offer. If you'd "care" (read: "prioritize"), this issue would probably have been fixed long ago.

I just bought hardware for a new server, which should also give me the possibility to stream movies outside my LAN (on iOS, macOS and Windows devices). As far as I understand, this is not possible with JRiver's current product portfolio (neither Panel, nor JRemote works).

JimH

« Reply #55 on: Today at 07:52:28 am »

Video playback does not work for me since I have bought JRemote a few years ago. To me it gets a bit tiresome to keep reading how Apple is to blame for things not working/not supported. Other vendors can do it, so things are certainly possible to fix/offer. If you'd "care" (read: "prioritize"), this issue would probably have been fixed long ago.

Sure, but there are a lot of other issues that also need to be prioritized.

Both Apple and Microsoft often make our job more difficult, but we eventually get it done.

Pages: [1]   Go Up