INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get MC 25 DSP studio parametric eq to work with PS Audio DAC  (Read 1976 times)

utrak1

• Recent member

Hi Everybody,

I apologize for the simple question but I'm stumped.  I've been using MC 21 for a couple of years with Windows 7 and I just upgraded to MC 25 and Windows 10.  I'm trying to use the parametric eq feature in DSP studio. The dlna server is configured to share media with my audiophile 24-bit DAC (PS Audio PWD II).  I can play music just fine.  I generated a sweep file using REW and I'm playing it in MC 25 using the "file->open media file" option.  REW is running on a separate laptop that has a USB microphone connected to it.  I hit play in MC 25 and then start the capture in REW.  Everything works great.  Afterwards, I generate the PEQ filters in REW and I manually enter them in MC 25 DSP studio’s “Parametric equalizer” section and yes Parametric equalizer is checked.  Afterwards, I re-run the sweep.  The problem is that the newly entered PEQ filters don’t seem to have any effect what so ever.  The new REW sweep looks identical to the previous.  I’ve worked with parametric EQ for years off and on with products like Mini DSP so I can tell that the PEQ filters are not working in MC 25.  The MC version 25.0.114. I also have WDM disabled. Does it need to be enabled?  This has to be something simple. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Darrell

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about MC 25 DSP studio parametric eq with PS Audio DAC
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:16:05 pm »

are you using the DSP Studio for your DLNA server or the one associated with the zones?

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 03:50:53 pm »

Thank you for the response.  I'm using the DSP studio associated with my DLNA server.  My DLNA server points to "audiophile 24-bit DAC", which is my PS Audio PWD II DAC.

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 08:37:49 am »

I did notice that when I played the sweep file in MC 25, using the "file->open media file" option, that the audio came out of my tower PC speaker as well as my speakers connected to my DAC.  The mic connected to REW on the laptop picks this up so I muted the tower PC speakers to fix this. I also noticed that I can select "Process independently of internal volume" from "options" in DSP Studio, which made no difference but seems like this should e selected.  See attached image.

utrak1

• Recent member
Re: Can't get MC 25 DSP studio parametric eq to work with PS Audio DAC
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:22:02 pm »

Bump  :)

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 07:18:14 am »

2nd bump  :-\

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 08:48:11 am »

DLNA can make things hard to troubleshoot.

Can you make a direct connection to your DAC?  Like with USB?

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 07:37:02 pm »

I did notice that when I played the sweep file in MC 25, using the "file->open media file" option, that the audio came out of my tower PC speaker as well as my speakers connected to my DAC.

That shouldn't happen, unless you have two linked Zones in MC, one for the Dynamic DLNA Renderer (your PS Audio PWD II DAC) and one for the PC speakers. This indicates something is very wong.

In the screenshot you posted I can't see a Dynamic Zones for your PS Audio PWD II DAC, just the "Player" Zone, although the whole "Playing Now" section isn't visible.

Connect and turn on your PS Audio PWD II DAC, make sure it appears under Playing Now, then post a screenshot that shows Playing Now and your "Options > Audio" section of MC settings.

Also, if you have more than one DLNA Server, associate the "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" DLNA Server with your "PS Audio PWD II DAC" DLNA Renderer. See the attached image for how to do that, starting with right-clicking the Dynamic DLNA Renderer record showing under Playing Now.

In the image "BubbleUPnP" is the Dynamic DLNA Renderer and "DLNA Amintha" is the DLNA Server.

Also, if you still have the W7 PC with MC21 installed, have a look at the audio setup in there and make sure the W10 machine is set up the same. Not all that much has changed in the basic way MC is set up with a DLNA Renderer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 07:42:24 am »

Thank you very much for the response.  Here are the screen shots you requested.  I plan to hook up the old Windows 7 machine this weekend and I'll compare the settings and post my findings.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 03:40:06 pm »

Well, those screenshots look normal. You shouldn't be getting audio out of your tower PC speaker as well as the speakers connected to my DAC.

Unless of course it is system sounds coming out of the PC Speaker, and the sweep file playing via the DAC. But it doesn't sound like it from your description.

Try importing the sweep files into MC and play it from there. Maybe there is an issue with using the "file->open media file" method.

Maybe you will find something in the old settings.

PS: This needs to be fixed before your original question can be answered I think, but just on the WDM; No, it doesn't need to be enabled.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 05:07:00 pm »

Thanks for the response.  I've already tried importing the sweep files into MC and playing the from there.  This weekend I'll try the old server running MC21 and Windows 7 and I'll compare the settings and get back with the results.

I'll also try running MC25/Windows 10 over USB if I have the time.  I only want to do this for test purposes because I'll be connecting one end of the USB cable directly into a server USB port on a Windows 10 PC.

Thanks again for the help guys.

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 06:06:23 pm »

Problem solved!  Thanks Roderick. Your suggestion helped me figure it out.  There is an issue with the "file->open media file" method with respect to the parametric eq feature in DSP studio.  The problem is that you must play a file that is known to MC to activate the newly configured PEQ settings.  Afterwards, you can use the "file->open media file" method to play a sweep file and the peq filters will be applied. It works the same way in Windows 7 and 10 and in MC 21 and 25.

I used a “high shelf” filter set to 200Hz, -40db, and a Q of 0.1 to test this, which means that anything above 200Hz will be attenuated by 40dB.  It was obvious when the filter was working and when it was not.

Now I have to figure out how to import my sweep file into MC to avoid this issue.
Thanks again everybody.

Happy listening,

Darrell

utrak1

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 06:11:06 pm »

BTW, I don't think that I was ever playing through the DAC and PC speakers at the same time.  I think that the play selector kept going from my DAC to the PC player so the audio came out of the PC speakers when I hit play because I didn't realize that my DAC was no longer selected.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 08:07:21 pm »

Well, that is a bit strange. Maybe a restart of MC after loading the PEQ settings would have the same effect?

But if DLNA never really kicked in, and hence the DLNA DSP never was applied, it sort of makes sense.

Thanks for sharing the answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up