INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to add FireWire 800 drive to library  (Read 455 times)

jeraldej

• Recent member
Unable to add FireWire 800 drive to library
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:46:30 am »

Hello everybody,

Does Media Center 25 have a problem adding external FireWire/USB drives to a Library for auto-import?

I've created a new Library to which I want to add a single FireWire-attached drive. This drive also has a USB 2.0 connection and the problem exists with this connection as well. I want to work directly on this external drive to manage the files there. The problem is that Media Center will not save this drive in Options > Library & Folders > Configure auto-import > Folders. I've named the drive BMW_MUSIC and Media Center will not save /Volumes/BMW_MUSIC. It accepts the input and I can save my changes, but no media is added to the library and when I go back to Configure auto-import, it was not actually saved.

I also cannot add this drive to the Main Library.

BACKGROUND

I'm working with this external drive that I intend to use in my car as a source of music. This is working fine, but I need to convert M4A files to FLAC so that the car can read them. This is also working fine, but it is tedious the way that I was doing it. I was first creating the FLAC files on my Mac and then copying them over.

Instead, I decided to copy all of the files over to the drive and organize them the way that I want. I then intend to Convert the M4A files to FLAC directly on the drive, replacing the M4A with the FLAC.

SETUP

MacBook Pro 15 Mid-2012 Mojave 10.14.6
IOMega 500GB eGO HDD formatted ExFAT

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unable to add FireWire 800 drive to library
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 03:12:13 pm »

I have numerous external USB drives attached to my main Mac and I have auto import configured on several of them.  It seems to work fine.

Are you sure you are pressing the OK button when you are done adding your auto import paths?

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:06:52 pm »

If the drive and volume are visible to OSX, then it can be added to Auto Import, however...

Configuration of MC Auto Import folders requires that you Browse to the location, which must already exist, and then select it. In Windows, if you type in a non-existing location instead of using Browse when Adding an Auto Import folder, you get a message saying it doesn't exist. I don't know if you get the same message on a Mac.

What does this mean?
I also cannot add this drive to the Main Library.

How are you trying to add a drive to the Main Library, if not via Auto Import?

Regardless, if Handheld Sync works in the Mac version, which I don't use so I don't know if it does, then Handheld Sync is a better solution than your idea. You can just plug in your drive, set up Handheld Sync to select which files to transfer, what to convert them to, where to place them, what to rename the files to if you wish, whether to include Playlists and what format to use for them, whether to transfer Cover Art files or create them on the drive, what file type to transfer... you get the idea. It also means you can sync new files to the drive with special handling, or update files, or remove files.

So, have a look at Handheld Sync and see if that would work better.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jeraldej

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:38:47 am »

This is now working.
I chose to upgrade MC to 25.0.123 and after that, I noticed for the first time the activity window showing the status of the discovered files already on the drive.

This may have been working with 25.0.116 and I just didn't notice it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up