INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Categories and Sub Categories  (Read 818 times)

Gaspode

• Recent member
Video Categories and Sub Categories
« on: December 07, 2019, 11:11:39 am »

Is there any way to manage the categories under Video and add Subcategories/Genres? I've gone through the docs and done some forum searches but so far have struck out.

I have a fairly extensive collection of movies on my NAS and would like to organize them better in JRiver. I'm holding off on importing them because I'd like to organize them better.

I'd like to be able to add things like Christmas, Comedy, Romance, Horror, etc. under Movies. As ai expand my use of MC I want to do the same with Pictures.

Next, I'd like to be able to specify which videos go in which subcategories. If I need to create matching folders on the NAS and move files there to make it easier I'm good with that. Currently doing something similar with Christmas movies, though they show up under Movies and not say Movies --> Christmas like I would prefer.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video Categories and Sub Categories
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 04:36:31 pm »

MC uses the [Media Type] and [Media Sub Type] fields in specific ways. For you movies to be handled correctly, they need to be:
[Media Type]=Video
[Media Sub Type]=Movie

Then you can add any categorisation you like using fields such as Genre, Keywords, or any custom field you want to add to MC for the purpose. Some people add a [Sub Genre] field just to make that issue clear. Keywords can be nested.

It is then the power of MC Views that uses the metadata you collect or provide to display your media as you wish, and search for what you want easily. Views is what you need to learn about.

You have to import your movies into MC before you can add all the metadata you want, as video files generally don't support tagging, and MC puts video file tags into its Library and optionally Sidecar files next to the video file. You don't need to move your movie files to take advantage of this functionality in MC. Although I prefer to store each movie in its own directory, named "[Name] ([Year])" for clarity, and of course, full folder rips of DVDs and Blu-rays need to be in their own folder.

However, once you have collected or created the metadata in the Library fields the way you want it, MC has a powerful tool in the "Rename, Move and Copy Files" function that can move the files into a directory structure you desire, based on any of the metadata MC knows about.

The first thing to do is decide how you want to view or categorise your movies. Then learn about all the fields in MC and decide which to use. Read about Manage Library Fields in Options. Learn how to use View. Import all your movie files and start adding metadata. Build the Views you want.

That is the basics. The Wiki articles on View creation aren't brilliant, but the are some good forum threads. The is no "short course" on MC that would cover what you need to learn.

Have at it. Enjoy.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Gaspode

• Recent member
Re: Video Categories and Sub Categories
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 05:18:54 pm »

Thanks, that helps a lot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up