INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request (JRemote): OFFLINE listening (selective/automatic)  (Read 684 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!

I use MC and JRemote literally every day, in home and all over town/country, and on multiple devices. I've been thinking about this suggestion for years. I think it would fill a major gap in an otherwise awesome digital audio ecosystem.

Suggestion

Inside JRemote, make it possible to select some served library content for offline listening. Meaning -- selected library content could be downloaded to local storage on the mobile device within the JRemote app. This would follow the example commonly set by cloud storage servies/apps like: DropBox, Box.com, Adobe Document Cloud.

Benefits
  • Would reduce/eliminate cellular data usage caused by constantly streaming and often re-streaming the same content from home MC server when away from home and when no WiFi is practical
  • Would reduce/eliminate network-related interuptions during streaming from MC server while travelling (e.g., highway driving, underground subway system, etc.)
  • Would eliminate nuissance work periodically required to ensure there exists some desired offline content on the device, depending on one's evolved workflow and device(s): 1) hooking up mobile device to MC server PC/mac via USB cable, 2) transcoding/preparing/exporting selected content from library(ies), 3) surgically curating/replacing/refreshing content repeatedly per items 1 and 2 as listening interests/tastes evolve and the desire to explore more of one's MC library arises.
  • Would eliminate the need to use third-party music player app (e.g. Apple's Music app, paid VOX Player app) to play device-stored content; one could simply manage and play stored content right inside JRemote!
Basically: As things are, one can always see thier whole library using JRemote. However, one can't always play what one wants, without enduring hassles involved to ensure content also exists offline on the device. This offen feels like the carrot hanging in front of the donkey. This suggestion would squash that.

Details/Considerations
  • Downloading/refreshing offline-marked content could be limited to only happen on WiFi and to only happen while on the same LAN as the MC server, to avoid large cellular data usage.
  • Downloading/refreshing could be initiated on demand, or, let to run as a background operation (e.g., "when server is found on LAN, update locally stored content to match current offline selections...").
  • MC server would also need to transcode (per server settings) as part of the offline download operation.
Alternative/Hybrid Approach

Perhaps the current streaming functionality could be more simply enhanced to include "download track before playing", and "leave up to X GB of recently streamed content on device" as features. That way, users would always be assured of having some content available offline, and that content would automatically reflect thier recent listening interests/tastes. This approach would need to include an option within JRemote to "show only locally stored/offline content", so that users could focus on the offline availabilities, rather than being required to take a click-and-hope, or hunt-around-for-offline-content approach.

Thank you.
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
Re: OFFLINE LISTENING
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 02:45:13 pm »

This is a great idea. I'd vote for getting the search function to work and getting the ratio size correct before this but hey, we'll take what we can get.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: OFFLINE LISTENING
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:45:53 pm »

Thanks. I wonder if I should have posted this in the forum: Networks and Remotes > Media Network, instead. The topic spans wider than strictly "Remotes".
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up