INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Nonsense Remote Control for Blu-Ray Movie Playback via JRiver MC  (Read 1378 times)

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck

I want to use JRiver MC on a Windows 10 desktop pc to play decrypted Blu-Ray movies. In addition to MC's DTS-HD MA decoding, unlike all hardware and Windows players it is the only player allowing both fast/slow motion and zoom control of (decrypted) BD movies, as many of us have long enjoyed with DVD movies. https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/reclaiming-zoom-functionality-on-blu-ray-movies.57000/page-2

In my new 5.1 system the video will be fed via HDMI to my screen and the decoded DTS-HD MA audio
will be fed via USB to this excellent multi DAC.

https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/179/Configuring-JRiver-Media-Center-for-Windows-for-Bitperfect-ASIO-Playback-with-exaSound-DACs.aspx

It was encouraging to hear from Jon at USBuirt that his controller apparently interfaces nicely with JRiver for it to be included as a plug-in. I am new to JRiver so is configuring the plug-in to recognize and work with USBuirt hardware all done via GUI, rather than much if any code writing?

But Jon did not yet specify an actual handheld remote which will work seamlessly with USBuirt to execute all basic the JRiver commands I need-exactly like ALL of those on the remote of my standalone Oppo 95 player. That is, play, stop, pause, chapter select, fwd/rev, variable speed fast/slow motion in fwd/rev and zoom.

I went here http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm and clicked on all of those companies but all apparently either folded or make no handheld remote controllers or software products that would work with USBuirt AND other specific third party handheld remotes which would truly meet my JRiver BD player needs.

The only one seeming to come anywhere near close was http://www.hc-skipper.com/en/index.htm But the link to on its forum, assuming it actually exists, is broken. So far no reply after emailing them about this. support@HC-SKIPPER.com

So which if any handheld remotes (https://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-universal-remotes , https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00030329  et al) will work with USBuirt or another interface to make JRiver into a BD player fully functional via handheld remote-including slow/fast motion and zoom?

I need these remote control model suggestions before investing in the Exasound e38 DAC to use with JRiver, and thereby build what may be among the very best sounding 5.1 HT systems.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No Nonsense Remote Control for Blu-Ray Movie Playback via JRiver MC
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 08:10:05 am »

I have that DAC.  congrats!  it plays native DSD which for those of us with massive DSD collections and many in multi channel, it is fantastic.

so similar setup to you, though i use the DAC mostly for music and my pre/pro (Marantz) for movies and shows since it handles Atmos and DTS:X.   for DTS-MA and TrueHD having MC decode and output PCM is fine and that DAC will handle it nicely.   I set up zones and rules in MC to select which zone appropriately.

in any case i have a single Logitech Harmony One remote (they no longer make them, but the latest Logitech harmony hub+elite remotes will work fine) and a FLIRC dongle in the usb port - converts IR to a keyboard command -  to control MC and other devices.  The FLIRC is simply for MC and receiving IR commands.   i also had Harmony add a few remote codes to address some of the more exotic commands for the Marantz.   they are quite good at that type of support.

I have in another room the Harmony Hub and a couple IR receivers which plug into the hub and their Elite remote which achieves the same thing.   

happy to share additional details.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 04:26:30 pm »

The latest Harmony Hubs also do BT.  I have a mix of BT and IR from my Harmony's and they both work well though I prefer using BT as there is no line of site issue or need for IR blaster.  My Hub also controls some devices over IP (like my TV).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 05:15:35 pm »

What's the practical distance limit of their Bluetooth?

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 07:24:01 pm »

For the money the Harmony Elite is a good piece that won't make you feel wanting.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 06:37:59 am »

What's the practical distance limit of their Bluetooth?

we have not measured it, but given how and where people in the household have used it, at least up to 20’

this is based on standing across a large room and using it to control an nvidia shield

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 06:44:46 am »

Thanks.  I asked because I know the early standard had a 10 meter (33 foot) limit, but I think later standards have a greater limit.  Maybe.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 08:07:11 pm »

I've not had any issues with the Harmony Hub doing BT but the gear is all in one room and it for me is more reliable than IR in that you don't have to point the RC at any device in particular.  Looks like the Harmony Hub and Remote is Class 2.  BT does come in power settings, as the following table shows:

When I was trying various ideas for distributing audio around the house, I tried some of the 100m BT devices.  Kinda worked but it was fiddly and not that reliable (though this was now years ago).
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up