INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How similar is MC for Mac compared to Windows?  (Read 1619 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
How similar is MC for Mac compared to Windows?
« on: December 24, 2019, 12:44:43 am »

I have recommended to a friend in Spain that he try JRiver on his Mac. How similar is it to the Windows version? Essentially the same? (I know almost nil about Macs)

I assume that using JRiver he will be able to play FLAC files which he cannot currently do with iTunes (as I understand it they have to be converted to ALAC for iTunes)? Is that right?

Cheers
FF

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How similar is MC for Mac compared to Windows?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 06:15:22 am »

Quite similar with respect to audio.  FLAC will work.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 06:20:51 am »

Thanks Jim. Just to be clear, when you say with respect to Audio, can I presume you mean not just the Audio as such, when playing but the features, management and visual presentation of the Audio?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 06:46:19 am »

Yes. 

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:05 pm »

I mostly use the Mac version and the main features for local playback of audio files work flawlessly like on Windows.

Since your friend is on a Mac and may see there is an option to sync old iPods, which does work on Windows, you may want to let him know this does not work on a Mac. If he is expecting he can sync any handheld Apple devices (iPhones, old iPods, etc) it would be useful for him to know that's not possible.

If he sends audio to more than one Airplay device at a time, something Mac users may take for granted via iTunes for past few versions, there may be a way to do this in JRiver via dlna but I've never done so. However, it is easily achieved with third party software which I use to stream my JRiver playback to an old Airplay device while simultaneously playing through physically connected speakers.

I've been using JRiver on Mac for a while now and pretty much stopped using iTunes at same time. I tried another program that was more Mac-like in appearance / interface, but soon settled on JRiver because it has more features and is much more customizable, and because it is cross-platform which is beneficial to me.

There is also the ability to import an existing iTunes library, I believe, which I think will bring over play counts and playlists so if he has been a longtime iTunes user that could be great. I don't know if it works on the Mac version.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 03:09:38 pm »

Ok, thanks for that. I don't he will get too fancy, and he probably only sends music to his own head. He may have iTunes playlists, but, like me, he prefers the integrity of the album. In any case I'll point him to the forum here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up