INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Zone Switch work with DLNA devices?  (Read 872 times)

landolfi

• Recent member
Does Zone Switch work with DLNA devices?
« on: December 27, 2019, 09:57:35 am »

I have MC 26 set up to send DSF files to my Oppo 203 for direct playback, and FLAC files to a Marantz 7700. I'm using "File Type is =" in the engage rules (I also tried "channels > 2" without mention of file type). Maybe it's the way I am trying to start playback (right clicking a track in the album track list and choosing Play), but often the DSF files get sent to the Marantz anyway if that was the last device used, and the Marantz can't play multichannel DSF. So maybe I am doing this wrong. I should also mention that I am using JRiver as a controller of a library on another computer and both the  Marantz and the Oppo are DLNA devices to both controller and library server. The library server has one DLNA server set up that sends files in original format.

Playing now seems to refer to the last zone used and seems to be the default for any new play commands, is that correct? I've tried clearing the playing nows for all zones and then doing the play command, and then the zoneswitch will choose the correct device. But then choosing a different file type and play goes to the previously used zone, as if I'm "in" a zone with no way to get out of it.

What I was expecting zone switch to do is enable having a playlist with both DSF and FLAC files that would select the appropriate DLNA player on the fly depending on file type. Is there a way to do this?

landolfi

• Recent member
Re: Does Zone Switch work with DLNA devices?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 08:59:33 am »

Hi,

I'm bumping this because I don't understand Zone Switch and Playing Now and the documentation and posts I've been able to find don't explain it.

The basic question I'm trying to answer is whether there is a zone-agnostic way to start a playlist so that the playlist will direct the output to the appropriate DLNA zone. I haven't had any success doing this. Playing Now seems to mean "last selected zone", because that's what happens when I say "play" on a playlist. I have Zone Switch enabled on both zones of interest so in the ideal world, Zone A (an DLNA AV processor) will switch to Zone B (an Oppo 203 DLNA renderer) when it sees a DSF, and vice versa for FLAC. But maybe this only works for devices attached to the library server? I am trying to run Zone Switch on a controller instance of Media Center on a different PC from the library server.

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 09:18:55 am »

Landolfi, in your rule, do you have "Stop playback in these zones" set to the OPPOSITE zone that you're wanting to play in?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 03:01:42 pm »

I'm not using Zoneswitch at the moment, and I haven't used it with a DLNA Renderer, so I can't say with absolute surety that I know what I am talking about, but...

Playing Now playlists, which are created when you add something to Playing Now by one of the various methods, are associated with just one Zone. So if you have a Playlist of mixed DSF and FLAC files, when you add that Playlist to Playing Now, it is going to add the whole Playlist to the one Zone. Probably based on the first file in the Playlist. You should be able to test this and see what MC is doing.

Continuing that idea, if you have a Playlist of say FLAC files playing to the Marantz, then try to add some DSF files to Playing Now, you would not want MC Zoneswitch to switch to the Oppo immediately. Hence the new tracks would be added to the current Playing Now list associated with the current Zone. I'm not sure if Zoneswitch would then get activated when Playing Now reached the new tracks, but I think not.

If playback of the FLAC files was finished, and you added DSF files to Playing Now, I would expect Zoneswitch to select the correct Zone. If that isn't working then the "Stop playback in these zones" setting may be the issue.

I have seen reference to Zoneswitch not working with mixed track formats, and specifically with DLNA Renderers. But finding a reference to that in the forum may be a challenge.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 05:57:44 pm »

You might look at this

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123465.msg855276.html#msg855276

Not DLNA, but it does discuss zoneswitch. It does sound like he may have gotten zoneswitch to work with DSD and PCM, although that is not clear.

The general belief is that zoneswitch does not work with mixed formats in a playlist, but it is hard to find detail.  If I remember correctly the issue is that it switches but does does not switch back.

Matt originally did not recommend it for per file switching.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=post;quote=519700;topic=76605.0;last_msg=656038

landolfi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 06:02:31 pm »

Landolfi, in your rule, do you have "Stop playback in these zones" set to the OPPOSITE zone that you're wanting to play in?

Yes, I've tried it with that and without. It appears as you all have suggested that it's designed to work on entire CDs rather than on tracks. I was just looking for a way to randomize tracks in my entire library, whether stereo or multichannel.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm beginning to think that my best options are either 1) play everything through the Oppo, but I have to have the Sony TV on or the Oppo audio drops out due to the Sony TV checking HDMI to see if the Oppo is still there periodically, or 2) allow downconversion to 2-channel on the Marantz, which can't play multichannel DSD. Or I could buy that Exasound e38 DAC that I can't stop thinking about, but that requires somehow explaining to my wife why I'm spending 4K on another audio component. Any suggestions are welcome. I have in the past just bought stuff and installed it without explanation, but I don't feel right about doing that on a 4K expense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up