INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Entries in Tree View for Single File - Playlists  (Read 1030 times)

donlboy

• World Citizen
Multiple Entries in Tree View for Single File - Playlists
« on: December 27, 2019, 03:44:36 pm »

When I view files by drilling down from Tree View I see multiple entries if the song is in a playlist. See the image snip for an example.This is the case independent of which child view under Audio that I use - File, Artist, Album, etc. When I mouse-over, one entry just shows the file location path while the other(s) also show what playlists the song is in. If the song is in multiple playlists they are sometimes all in one entry, other times there are two or more entries, each with different playlists. I'm sure there is a setting that can turn this off, but I haven't found it yet. Any advice please.

donlboy

• World Citizen
Re: Multiple Entries in Tree View for Single File - Playlists
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 12:31:29 pm »

To clarify the image, the track "If I Had Known" is a single file. but appears in the list three times. One just shows the file information (album, format, file size, location path, etc.). The other two entries show this same information plus playlists the song is in. In this example, the second entry shows three playlists that the song is in while the third entry shows only a fourth one. I have looked at multiple examples of this and can't see a pattern of why/how different playlists are sometimes grouped and other times separate.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 04:57:52 pm »

I think you might be clicking on a playlist group name rather than opening the playlist group and clicking on an individual playlist - it is difficult to tell from your image. If you select a playlist group it will show the files in all of the playlists, if they occur three times then they are in three different playlists within that playlist group.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 05:17:04 pm »

I didn't get to this display from a playlist, I got to it by drilling down from the tree through albums, artists, files, etc. The result is the same from any of them, the song shows up three times. It is in four different playlists. I get the same result (multiple listings of a single song/file) most of the time, although some songs in a playlist only show up one time. Again, I have not been able to find a pattern as to what determines if there is one, two or more listings. some songs that are in four playlists only have a single listing, others in only one playlist have two entries - one with the basic song information and one with that plus the playlist name.

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:25:38 am »

I have two other inputs on this behavior that might trigger a thought (I hope). I just created a Smartlist to find duplicate files (- ~dup=[File Size],[Name]) as part of my occasional maintenance. Many of the duplicates found were, in fact, not duplicates, but the same files, listed multiple times because the song was in multiple playlists. I tried deleting one song of a pair of duplicates and both listings were deleted - obviously it was the same song listed twice, but when I deleted the instance that included the playlist it deleted the main instance too.

I also just searched for a particular file from the search box and it came up with six instances, all with the exact same Filename. Again, it is clearly one file (I did verify that via File Explorer just to be 100% sure) but listed six times. Four of the instances showed one playlist the song is in (all four were different playlists), one showed two playlists and one showed four playlists.  Yes, that song is in ten of my playlists. See the attached image.

As I said in my original post this behavior of seeing multiple entries for a single file makes life difficult for me. I still want to see what playlists a song is in, but prefer to see that in a single entry, not having to look at multiple entries. If there is a setting that can turn the multiple listings off I would very much appreciate your ideas.

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 10:53:11 am »

Is it (past) time for me to give up on getting a reply/fix/explanation for this? I'm on 26.0.22 now and the behavior is still the same. Do you see multiple entries for a single song/file if the song is in playlists? If so, do you know how to get a view with only one instance per song?

Someone please let me know if the "problem" isn't clear and I will try to clarify. This isn't a deal-breaker but it is sure annoying to me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:28:48 am »

Use the duplicates smartlist to find and remove the duplicates.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 07:41:43 am »

Matt - they aren't really duplicates. As I explained, there is only one file, but it has multiple entries if the song is in a playlist. Sometimes one entry for each playlist it is in, sometimes one entry shows multiple playlists. The snips I included show examples of this. If I delete one of the entries they are all deleted, since all refer to the same physical file.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 07:52:10 am »

Would you be willing to send me a library backup along with instructions about what view shows the duplication?  I'm matt at jriver.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 12:00:45 pm »

Absolutely. How do I do that?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 12:04:16 pm »

Try emailing to him.  He gave his address above.

Pages: [1]   Go Up