INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd song restarts after playing for 1 second  (Read 1891 times)

Subvet

• Recent member
2nd song restarts after playing for 1 second
« on: January 26, 2020, 07:51:40 am »

Media Center 25.0.113 64 bit Windows 10 (also happened on 24).
WASAPI exclusive mode.
Only DSP is volume leveling and Output Format which is only set for > 192.

Select an album and right click play.

After the first song, about 1 second of the second song will play, then there will be a split second break and it will restart the second song and play the rest of the album normally. Note this will also happen when I select shuffle, regardless of whether I select all albums or some.

This, as far as I can recall, does not happen again until a future JRiver session. This happens a lot, perhaps every session.  It is likely that the computer will have slept or been restarted between the issue occurring.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Subvet

• Recent member
Re: 2nd song restarts after playing for 1 second
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 07:31:41 am »

I upgraded to 25.0.115 and it still occurs.

I need to do more testing, but it may only occur when I'm running a Media Center install to access/control my primary Media Center install on a different machine. This is my normal method of listening.

I can also use remote desktop to run my primary Media Center install directly. I'll start using this method more and see if it occurs.

All installs are up to 115 on Windows 10. The primary install machine is connected to the DAC via USB and contains the library on a local SSD.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 06:43:20 am »

Well the issue still occurs when Media Center is run directly via remote desktop.

It would be nice to find a solution and it sure is odd that it is only the transition between the first and second song of a new session that has this hiccup.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try? It is consistent and happened in 24 and both versions of 25.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 07:02:44 am »

Can you test with a different DAC or sound output device?

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 12:48:47 pm »

My other options are the laptop speakers on my primary Media Center install's machine or over the network to an OPPO 103.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 07:13:50 am »

It's a small test sample size but I did try it outputting to the speakers and later to the OPPO over the network, both after a restart, and it did not occur. This morning I tried it to the speakers after waking the laptop from an overnight sleep. Again the issue did not occur.

Then immediatly after the speaker test this morning, I switched to outputting to the DAC over USB and it did occur. In all cases the switch was done by using different zones.

This makes little sense to me considering I can't recall it ever happening a second time during a listening session.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 07:00:49 am »

The issue appears to be resolved by unchecking "Maximize device volume". It's been more than a week of usage and the issue has not re-occurred.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:44 am »

Well I was wrong.  The issue still occurs with "Maximize device volume" unchecked.

I was able to consistently cause the issue this morning with different Audio Devices set. First time was after waking the laptop from sleep, each time after was after a restart.

I repeated the same process of clicking play on Fleetwood Mac Rumours CD (a FLAC rip of standard CD). The first song played, the second song played for about 1 second, then there was a very short silence and the 2nd song restarted. From that point, the songs played normally.

Except as noted, all setting were the default/recommended. DSP remained with Output Format set to convert Input > 192,000 and Volume Leveling, nothing else. Play as HDCD if possible is checked, as is write tool name and version. I believe all other settings are default.

• Yggdrasil USB [WASAPI] (set for exclusive access)
  • Yggdrasil USB [Direct Sound] (defaults/recommended settings)
  • Default Audio Device [Direct Sound] (in this case the playback device was set to Yggdrasil USB)
  • Default Audio Device [Direct Sound] (in this case the playback device was set to Speakers)

So it happens with USB DAC and with laptop speakers. It has been generally consistent and started when I first stared with version 24. I'm on 25.0.115 64 bit on Windows 10.

Previously the Yggdrasil DAC had a Gen 5 USB board. Last week the DAC was upgraded to their Unison USB board.

Thoughts?

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 02:26:00 pm »

I've upgraded to MC 26.0.22 (64-bit) and it made no difference.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 08:32:46 am »

Can you test with a different DAC or sound output device?

Do you, or anyone, have any other suggestions? Perhaps changing some setting or something?

Now that it is on the latest MC version 26, should the thread be moved or re-entered?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 08:46:28 am »

What if you test with a couple vanilla MP3 files.  Does it still happen?  I'm wondering if there's something special about your FLAC files?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 03:25:21 pm »

What if you test with a couple vanilla MP3 files.  Does it still happen?  I'm wondering if there's something special about your FLAC files?
Interesting idea.  I tried a few mp3 albums (all separate mp3 files) and it did not happen, then back to the Rumours CD and it did. As I was watching the progress bar I noticed it looked odd as the first second of the 2nd song played while the progress bar was still on the end of the first song. Then I re-ripped the CD as a WAV file and it still happened. Then I split the single WAV file using CueSplitter and it didn't happen. I also split the FLAC file into single files and it did not happen.

So is playing an album via a CUE sheet file instead of separate files the culprit? It would make more sense if it didn't only happen between the 1st and 2nd song when first playing after a sleep / restart.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 03:36:29 pm »

Interesting idea.  I tried a few mp3 albums (all separate mp3 files) and it did not happen, then back to the Rumours CD and it did. As I was watching the progress bar I noticed it looked odd as the first second of the 2nd song played while the progress bar was still on the end of the first song. Then I re-ripped the CD as a WAV file and it still happened. Then I split the single WAV file using CueSplitter and it didn't happen. I also split the FLAC file into single files and it did not happen.
So your FLAC file was actually multiple files?

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 04:05:35 pm »

So your FLAC file was actually multiple files?
Prior to today's experiment, the FLAC and WAV files that caused the issue were single files with a CUE sheet file.  I have not been able to make the issue occur with MP3, WAV or FLAC when each track is an individual file.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 04:57:33 pm »

You might try renaming them .cue

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 05:08:26 pm »

That's confusing. I should rename what exactly?  Many of my albums have a .flac and a .cue file. For the Rumours album, there was a Rumours.flac file and a Rumours.cue file. Other albums don't have any .cue file and consist of a .flac file for each track.
So far the repeat on the 2nd song occurs when the album consists of a single .flac and associated .cue file.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 09:18:44 am »

I removed a single file flac with associated cue file from MC. I then tried several different renaming schemes with a reimport. The only way import works correctly is with both the flac and cue file in the folder being imported and both flac and cue set as types to import.
I'm still trying to understand what your post meant.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 09:56:35 am »

I don't know the answer.  I was just suggesting that you try naming the file to something other than .FLAC -- .CUE, for example.

CUE files are strange.  CUE files pretending to be FLAC files are even stranger.

Try renaming .flac to .cue, then playing the .cue file, not the contents of it.  Import .cue or .flac, but not both.

My best advice would be not to use .FLAC files that are more than one file.  You could split your current CUE files to individual FLAC tracks.

Subvet

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:39 am »

I don't know the answer.  I was just suggesting that you try naming the file to something other than .FLAC -- .CUE, for example.

CUE files are strange.  CUE files pretending to be FLAC files are even stranger.

Try renaming .flac to .cue, then playing the .cue file, not the contents of it.  Import .cue or .flac, but not both.

My best advice would be not to use .FLAC files that are more than one file.  You could split your current CUE files to individual FLAC tracks.
Thanks Jim.  I'll go with splitting the single flac into a flac file per track. I've done some and it's good. Just need to do the other 100+.
Pages: [1]   Go Up