INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums occasionally vanish  (Read 2446 times)

gd0

• Recent member
Albums occasionally vanish
« on: January 28, 2020, 05:19:23 pm »

Hey

I'm actually still on MC23 (Mac), but that part of the forum seems deserted, and I'm posting here to see if others might recognize this odd issue on newer versions.

It doesn't happen often, but once in a while I'll scroll the library looking for a specific album only to find it's not there any more. It's more curious than annoying; it takes just a half-minute to re-import. But it does make me wonder if something else might be flawed or corrupted. Although everything else works perfectly (maybe a once-a-year freeze in playback).

I use only basic tools, with no particular incentive to upgrade MC:

Music playback from local storage.
Tagging and album art never present a problem.
No video.
No streaming services.
No playlists.
Maybe 2500 albums, which means roughly 43,000 tracks.
CD rips are done with dbPoweramp.
DVD rips are done with DVD Audio Extract.
SACD rips are done with instructions found on Computer Audiophile. Playback is DoP.
All formats and resolutions play back with no issues. The DAC confirms resolution.

System:
2013 iMac > macOS Sierra 10.12.6 > JRiver MC23 > iFi Nano iDSD DAC > old integrated amp + speakers.
Several hard drive backups.
Everything is hard wired.

This happens so seldom and randomly that it's hard to guess any cause.

In the unlikely case that it matters, the iMac is shut down every night.

If it's just a quirk, I can live with it rather than upgrade MC. But if it's a known issue that an upgrade will definitely fix, I can do so.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

gd0

• Recent member
Re: Albums occasionally vanish
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 12:51:22 am »

Same as this problem?
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123956.msg858411.html#msg858411
Hey Jim

Yes, that's the issue. Albums occasionally disappear from the Library, though very seldom.

I looked at Configure Auto-Import, and the setting "Yes (protect files on missing drives)" was already enabled under Fix Broken Links.

However, elsewhere in that thread, thecrow stated "In the upper window you should see the locations from which MC is importing files", and there is nothing there on my upper window.

Should I take that to mean I should simply add my general "Music" folder to this area? Is that something that should have been there all along?

Thanks for the reply.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:30:06 am »

Yes, you need to set up auto import.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 12:50:30 pm »

I personally set "fix broken links" to NO.  This is the safest option that gives you the most control.  Automated can be more convenient, but can also be more mysterious.  I prefer to know.

I also do not run auto import automatically.  I only run it on demand via a button on the MC interface.  It's very easy to import new files after I rip a CD or something.  Just press the button and watch the album show up.  Again, more control.

This is my approach and may or may not be the right way for you.

Brian.

gd0

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:50 pm »

Yes, you need to set up auto import.
I personally set "fix broken links" to NO.  This is the safest option that gives you the most control.  Automated can be more convenient, but can also be more mysterious.  I prefer to know.
I also do not run auto import automatically.  I only run it on demand via a button on the MC interface.  It's very easy to import new files after I rip a CD or something.  Just press the button and watch the album show up.  Again, more control.
This is my approach and may or may not be the right way for you.
Brian.

Thanks guys.

I started to learn/re-learn what Auto Import is, and started wandering backwards in the instructions, and ran across this under Library:

By default, the Library is stored on your disk in your User Profile's Application Data directory.
OSX: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center <version>/Library/
Media Center uses the Library files for all operations, and to drive all metadata searches and behavior in the application. For this reason, the performance of the disk where the Library (or Libraries) is critical. The Library files are not large, and should be stored on your fastest, internal disk in the computer (an SSD if possible).

I looked, and of course, there is no JRiver listed in this Application Support location on my iMac. I don't know where it is at all; but again, everything works.

Which makes me question whether I originally installed anything correctly at all, despite being deliberately slow at reading (and rereading) the installation guide.

So before I make further moves, and risk undoing everything, I gave each of your posts some thought. It's been 4 years(?) or so since I first installed, so I may not remember precisely, but I'm guessing I let JR do its Automatic First Use Scan to import maybe 2200 albums. And then MAYBE I read about Auto Import, and ignored? Attached below is what my Auto Import looks like.

And that reminds me of another personal preference that I didn't think to mention.

I want ZERO online interaction when using JRiver, or at least minimized to near-zero. For example, I wouldn't want JRiver to casually substitute album art for whatever reason. And that goes double for audio content; I have various mix/mastering/format duplicates in the library, among other unique content (see my usage in the first post). iTunes does that kind of substitution as a default, one of many reasons I've ditched them.

Everything I want JRiver to access resides in an external hard drive, and it's all hardwired. Unless I misunderstand how JRiver works (very possible!), there should be no need for an online connection to use it.

I guess I use JRiver as a big "carousel" CD player (that can play all audio formats).

So with all that considered, is it reasonable to forget Auto Import - or Auto ANYthing - and think of this "vanishing albums" issue as a mild flaw? One that may be addressed in a future update? I did a topic search and didn't find anything, until Jim pointed it out.

Thanx again.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 09:00:54 am »

I started to learn/re-learn what Auto Import is, and started wandering backwards in the instructions, and ran across this under Library:

MC terminology can sometimes be confusing.  This is probably one of the worst ones.  "Library".  In MC terminology, "Library" means the internal database that MC uses to track files, show views, etc.  It has NOTHING TO DO with your media file location(s).  The "Library" location is simply where the database files are.  You should never need to touch these or look at them.

I looked, and of course, there is no JRiver listed in this Application Support location on my iMac. I don't know where it is at all; but again, everything works.

You are probably not looking in the right place.  In each USER'S directory on a Mac, there is a Library folder.  But it's hidden by default.  So you have to know the tricks to get it to show up.  Inside there is Application Support, and inside there is the JRiver folder.  Feel free to go find it if you'd like.  But, as you said, if it's working correctly, then you are probably fine.

Attached below is what my Auto Import looks like.

And that reminds me of another personal preference that I didn't think to mention.

I want ZERO online interaction when using JRiver, or at least minimized to near-zero. For example, I wouldn't want JRiver to casually substitute album art for whatever reason. And that goes double for audio content; I have various mix/mastering/format duplicates in the library, among other unique content (see my usage in the first post). iTunes does that kind of substitution as a default, one of many reasons I've ditched them.

MC is generally very safe to use with your media files.  I have had nearly zero issues with it over several years and 5 major versions.  Given what you've said, I recommend the following settings in your auto import Tasks area:

get cover art: uncheck
ignore files previously removed from library:  uncheck
update for external changes: uncheck
fix broken links:  NO

I also recommend that you *do* set up at least one directory for auto import.  But I would turn off "run auto import in background".  If you do NOT have auto import set up, you will have to manually point MC to each and every new album or song you put on your disk.  I keep my music in several top level folders, and I put new stuff where it goes.  Most of my music goes into a folder called "FLAC" and below that there are Artist and Album folders (named for each artist and within those, named for each album by that artist).  So, when I rip new CDs (for example), they get put in the right place.  Then I just press the auto import button the MC interface and it searches my FLAC folder and finds the new stuff.

This has the side benefit of making sure that EVERYTHING in that folder has been seen by MC.  So I don't have any orphaned files or folders.  Everything is where it should be and MC knows about all of it.  This helps me become the master of my own collection.  I am my own Digital Librarian.  MC is a very powerful tool that helps me do that.

Everything I want JRiver to access resides in an external hard drive, and it's all hardwired. Unless I misunderstand how JRiver works (very possible!), there should be no need for an online connection to use it.

So you are asking about running MC on a computer that does not have Internet?  If that's right, then yes, you can do that.  The only reason to connect to the Internet with MC is for a few file types, the codecs are not present in the installation files.  Instead, when you play those file types for the first time, the CODEC gets downloaded into MC and then it's there for good.  If you don't have any trouble playing any file types, then you should be fine with an "offline" computer with MC on it.

Brian.

gd0

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:02:09 pm »

Hey Brian

MC terminology can sometimes be confusing...

Ya think?... ha ha.

I recommend the following settings in your auto import Tasks area:
get cover art: uncheck
ignore files previously removed from library:  uncheck
update for external changes: uncheck
fix broken links:  NO

Done, thanks. I also disabled Get movie & TV info.

I also recommend that you *do* set up at least one directory for auto import.  But I would turn off "run auto import in background".  If you do NOT have auto import set up, you will have to manually point MC to each and every new album or song you put on your disk...
This has the side benefit of making sure that EVERYTHING in that folder has been seen by MC.  So I don't have any orphaned files or folders.

Acknowledged. But I'm thorough about tagging, nothing ever gets lost. Even when I import a download that needs tags, it's not hard to correct in Recent Albums. And I don't buy a great deal of music anymore; adding manually is no chore. I browse mostly by Panes ("Album Artist").

I'm more interested in avoiding programming. Just to embarrass myself, and I know it's Computer 101, I still don't know exactly what a Directory is.

So you are asking about running MC on a computer that does not have Internet?  If that's right, then yes, you can do that.  The only reason to connect to the Internet with MC is for a few file types, the codecs are not present in the installation files.  Instead, when you play those file types for the first time, the CODEC gets downloaded into MC and then it's there for good.

Thanks! That's information that I would never find on my own here. The iMac is online of course; I'd just like MC to ignore it. Not a criticism - and I don't mind learning how to use MC - but it's not always clear. Not to mention loaded with features I'll never use. Powerful stuff.

Like you, I have virtually no misfires with JRiver. I won't be surprised to find that the vanishing issue, uhh, vanishes, with the settings changes.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up