INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to delete a custom library field?  (Read 5893 times)

Bert

• Recent member
How to delete a custom library field?
« on: February 07, 2020, 02:26:37 am »

Gents,
In MC24 I added a custom library field "mood" and later found out that somehow that field was already there, or by mistake I added it a second time. Anyway, today I have for each track two "mood" fields. I made sure that one field contained all the tag data, and the other one is empty.

How can I DELETE/REMOVE that empty library field in MC24? I can't figure it out, sorry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to delete a custom library field?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 06:32:48 am »

I don't know how to delete it, but you could rename it.   Then change your views by clicking on the title bar and unchecking the tag you don't want.

Here's where you can look:
Tools > Options > Library and Folder > Manage Library Fields.

Back up your Library before making any changes.  File > Library.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:58:05 pm »

You shouldn't have been able to create a field with a duplicate name. But the [Mood] field was added as a User Field by JRiver at some time, so I guess an update could have added a duplicate field after you had added your field. That would be bad. I just checked the [Mood] field, and then tried to add another one. MC automatically changed the name of the new field to [Mood (1)], as it should. So I don't really know how you ended up with two [Mood] fields.

Deleting a User Field is easy. Just go to "Options > Library & Folders >Manage Library Fields" and select the field in the list. If the Delete Button becomes active, it is a User Field and can be deleted. If the Delete Button doesn't become active, it isn't a User Field, and you can't delete it. See the yellow highlights in the attached image.

As the JRiver created field, and your field, are both User Fields, you should be able to delete both, so be careful in selecting which one to delete. I advise changing the Display name for one of the fields and then checking if that field is the one that contains data. See the green highlights in the attached image, which shows a field name for one of my User Fields of [Favourite TV], with a Display name of "FTV".

You don't want to delete the field that contains data, as you will lose all the data. So as Jim suggests, backup your Library before making changes. If you find that there is data in both fields, come back and ask for more help, if you need to.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bert

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:42:02 am »

Dear Roderick,
Thanks for your very useful advice. The menu was easy to find, and both "Mood" fields appeared to be removable.
I checked carefully and found that only the second one was filled with data. Assuming that the sequence of fields is identical in all field lists, I deleted the first of the two "mood" fields (of course after making a full back-up).
And yes, success! The other "mood" containing the data remained in the library.

Easy as a breeze, many thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up