INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy or "mirror" a tag value  (Read 735 times)

corbendallas

• Recent member
Copy or "mirror" a tag value
« on: February 07, 2020, 01:38:16 pm »

I use JRiver to watch Movies and create a library of them and I love it! Great software.

As you all know, most movies nowadays gets sequels and not seldom quite a few of them. As a collector you tend to get most of them. When I look in my library for a movie to watch, I would like to have all movies in a series listed together. I have solved this by using the Series field and then sort the date (release). Looks great, except for the fact that I now have a view with all my movies in a series, and another view for those which are not. As you can imagine I'd like to combine these views and unless I'm wrong I need to fill in the series field on all the movies with this field not filled in. This is quite a bit of work and I'm looking for shortcuts  ;)

Is there a way to "mirror" a value from another field? In Excel you can do "=A1" and the cell will be filled with the value from cell A1. It would be fantastic if something similar could be done in JRiver.
If this would work, I would want to "mirror" the Name field and make the field Series match it.

Any suggestions appreciated  :)

Thanks

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Copy or "mirror" a tag value
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:23:39 pm »

In the series field for your selected files enter =[Name] and that will copy the name field into series field on all of the selected files.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:46:57 pm »

You can copy tags from one file to another. 

Select a file.  Ctrl-C copies

Select destination files.  Ctrl Shift V pastes.

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:20:36 pm »

In the series field for your selected files enter =[Name] and that will copy the name field into series field on all of the selected files.

Yes! That works like a charm! Great tip. You will save me a bunch of time with this. Thanks!

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 05:21:57 pm »

You can copy tags from one file to another. 

Select a file.  Ctrl-C copies

Select destination files.  Ctrl Shift V pastes.
Interesting! But that will copy all the tags, correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 05:33:33 pm »

Just try it.  You'll see.  Do a file at a time until you understand it.

Back up first.

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »

Just try it.  You'll see.  Do a file at a time until you understand it.

Back up first.
Thanks for the tip! I found the same command when right clicking and then choosing Edit commands. In there I can chose what tags I want to paste. Nifty!
However, in my case I need to copy the tag "=[Name]" rather than the actual Name, and I'm not sure how to do that, if possible.

corbendallas

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »

Yay! All done!
It was quite a bit of work and I looked into some easy automation to get copy the value "=[name]" into the Series cell of each post, but wasn't successful.
I did however find a method that sped up the process significantly.

At first, I would click the Series-cell of the post I was to edit, press F2 to make it editable and then go on with CTRL+V to paste in the value and then hit enter and go for the next row.
You can greatly speed this up by starting the same way, with clicking and then F2 and then go on with CTRL+V, but after this, you press Arrow down. This will make the next posts Series-cell editable, and you can go on with CTRL+V directly! And if you go Arrow down again you can paste yet again on the next post. With this method you can really hammer the keyboard and you get a lot more post done in the same amount of time.
It's still work, but the time you save can be cut by the factor of 20, or probably a lot more. Depending on how quick you are with your fingers  :)

Thanks everyone again for the tips. I hope my little tip can come in handy for anyone wanting to do the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up