INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems connecting to remote app on iPhone  (Read 1520 times)

baldo

• World Citizen
Problems connecting to remote app on iPhone
« on: March 02, 2020, 07:29:39 am »

I am having difficulty in connecting to MC on all of my m machines.

I use the same library and make the appropriate changes to reflect the file locations.  MC works fine on all my machines but now I just cant connect the remote control app.

I tried to connect by adding a new Server and enter the access Key from the previous connection but that is not working. It says that it fails to connect.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Many thanks in advance. I am sure we will fix this.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems connecting to remote app on iPhone
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 08:56:56 am »

Are you attempting to connect on the same network as Media Center?  What does the error say on the phone?  JRemote for example will let you know what the response was and that can help determine if this is a blocked port (firewall) issue.

--

Assuming you are using either JRemote or Panel, but Media Center listens on two different ports (SSL and non-SSL).  Both of those ports need to be accessible through your firewall.  the default ports are set in Media Center and can be found (and changed) in Tools->Options->Media Network, then click on "Advanced".  You'll see "TCP" and "SSL" ports.  Make certain those ports are not blocked by a firewall to the IP address of the machine you are running Media Center on.

Note that you might need to configure the Windows Firewall (assuming you are using Windows to run Media Center) and your router as well likely has a built in firewall and you may need to configure port forwarding there to your Media Center host(s).  Try a google search or forum search as this topic has been covered many times and those threads likely have very detailed and specific instructions.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 03:38:43 pm »

I use the same library and make the appropriate changes to reflect the file locations.  MC works fine on all my machines but now I just cant connect the remote control app.

This sounds like you are copying your Library from one PC and Restoring it to other PCs, which then point to your media location on a server or NAS. Is that what you are doing?

If so, that really isn't a good idea, and while people do it, it isn't a directly supported configuration. For example, if you are just changing File Locations in Options, that isn't enough to have the Library work on a different PC. You would have to change the Path for the files in each Library, unless you are using network URIs instead of paths, or paths from all PCs to your media files are the same. i.e. You are using the same network mapped drive letters.

Anyway, if you just can't get a remote to connect to your PCs, and you have just copied your Library to each PC, you need to get new JRiver Access Keys for each non-original PC. Otherwise the remote will see multiple PCs with the same Access Key, which will mean connection fails. You could just use the IP Addresses of the PCs instead of the Access Key method, but it still wouldn't be a good idea to have multiple copies of MC running on multiple PCs with the same Access Key on them all.

Also, if you are copying your Library from the original PC to all other PCs, you should consider using the MC Client/Server configuration.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 06:58:25 am »

Thanks for the responses.

Ok, this is my set up. (I have licenses for ALL of my machines!!)

1  - Master library on Windows 7 machine. Audio files kept on HDD1 called drive A:

2 - Windows10 laptop. Audio files on usb HDD called drive L:

3 - MacBook. Audio files on usb HDD called drive X:  (I know that OSX does not really see drive letters etc)

I want to keep it as this setup. There is no central NAS drive and I dont want one. I want to keep all the audio files duplicated on those 3 different drives.

What I do every so often is to backup the library on the Master Machine and then copy it over to 2 and 3. Then I do a search replace so that the library points to the right location in order to access the audio files.

This has worked wonderfully for me for the way I use the system. 

JRemote app has been able to control each of these in the past perfectly.  I suppose the reason is because I never use MC on 2 machines at the same time.  I am only ever running one version of MC at a time.

Is there a better way than doing what I am doing and if so can you point me the relevant place please.  What I do not want is to install a NAS drive. I have my reasons and am happy with the work around for, now. Of course that might change in the future.

Can you remind me how I set up the JRemote please because I cant seem to be able to find the place to do it in MC any more. Sorry.

Many thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 07:06:47 am »

A better way might be to use Library Server on your main machine, and connect to it from the others.

I've  moved this to the Remotes board where you can find instructions.

Read about Access Key on the wiki.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:12:26 pm »

The thing about using the library server is that would mean that my main machine has to be on in order to access the files on the HDD. I dont want to do that because I dont want to have a machine that is always running that I am not using.  I like to be a friend of the Earth!!!

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 01:18:53 pm »

I've gone to the Wiki to and looked at the Access Key.

But on my machine I can't find Media Network in Options.  Where is it?

I now cant connect to ANY of my machines via JRemote. Perhaps I need to complete reinstall of that app. So I will certainly need to figure the access key stuff.

Many thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 02:31:20 pm »

But on my machine I can't find Media Network in Options.  Where is it?
What OS?  What version of MC?

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 04:11:56 pm »

The main machine is Windows 7.
However, I also have MC on Windows 10 and on Mac OS

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 04:29:47 pm »

What verson of MC?

Tools > Options > Media Network.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 04:45:11 pm »

I cant see anything that says >Media Network...

Ignore that. I had disabled that via the General> Features section. That might be why I could not see it.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »

I think the problem might be the fact that I disabled Media Network.  Will re-enable on my Mac and see if that fixes the issue.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 05:49:43 pm »

I cant see anything that says >Media Network...

Ignore that. I had disabled that via the General> Features section. That might be why I could not see it.

Well, that would do it.  ;D

If you ever run any two of your computers, this would be a problem. It may prevent JRemote from connecting, or may just result in unexpected behaviour.

Anyway, if you just can't get a remote to connect to your PCs, and you have just copied your Library to each PC, you need to get new JRiver Access Keys for each non-original PC. Otherwise the remote will see multiple PCs with the same Access Key, which will mean connection fails. You could just use the IP Addresses of the PCs instead of the Access Key method, but it still wouldn't be a good idea to have multiple copies of MC running on multiple PCs with the same Access Key on them all.

Best practice to use your current solution would be to:

1. Change the drive naming on your Windows 7 PC and Window 10 laptop so that they use the same drive letter. i.e. Change them both to M: (for music  8) ), and on the PC do a Find & Repalce to point to the new M: drive. Then future copying of the library from the Windows 7 PC to the laptop wouldn't require any Find & Replace to point to the correct location. Google will tell you how to change drive letter designations.

2. Then set up Portable Library rules in the Windows 7 PC (source) Library so that when you copy from the PC to the Macbook you also do not need to do any Find & Replace. This functionality was added in MC25.0.100 on Windows.
Quote from: Windows
25.0.100 (9/13/2019)
1. NEW: Added a dialog "Portable Library" to allow setting up the filename conversions needed between Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Quote from: Mac
25.0.101 (9/16/2019)
1. NEW: Added a dialog "Portable Library" to allow setting up the filename conversions needed between Windows, Mac, and Linux.

See NEW: Portable Library

You will still potentially need to deal with the Access Key issue, but if you don't Restore settings from the Windows 7 PC to the laptop and Macbook, then maybe they would keep their own Access Key when you Restore the Library. I'm not sure. Don't have the hardware to test that for a Mac these days. Of course, if you don't Restore settings you may need to do some updates/tweaking on the target computer. But you probably shouldn't Restore settings from a Windows PC to a Mac PC anyway...

NOTE: You might be able to use Portable Library rules to map between the Windows 7 PC drive A: and the Windows 10 laptop drive L:, rather than changing the drive letter designations. I'm not sure. But it would be easier and more logical to use a common drive letter designation between the two, I think.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up