INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need networking help in Grand Rapids  (Read 715 times)

lohmantl

Need networking help in Grand Rapids
« on: March 10, 2020, 03:19:30 pm »

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Willing to pay someone in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area to get my iPhone 8 with JRemote to connect with MC26 running on a Windows 10 laptop. I have already made the connection when both devices are running on my Home network. Works great. Trying to get the two to talk when trying to accesss the laptop from the iPhone over the internet has not been successful. I have gone through the networking information on the forum and attempted Port Forwarding on a ATT BGW210 modem/gateway. I am not a computer power user so muddling through trial and error for an extended period of time is frustrating. I would continue with the trial and error method but I had emergency triple bypass open heart surgery recently and just don't have the willpower to continue wrestling with the iPhone8 (running JRemote) remote connection to MC26 (running on a Windows 10 laptop).

Again, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need tech support in Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:45:44 pm »

You just need someone good at networking.  You could try the Geek Squad at Best Buy.  Your Internet provider might also be able to give you a name.

Good luck with your recovery.

lohmantl

Re: Need networking help in Grand Rapids
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 07:34:57 am »

That is helpful.

Thanks JimH!

lohmantl

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:27:40 pm »

FYI: I have the free version of Windows 10 and found out that Wake-On-Lan (WoL) is not available. A Windows 10 upgrade is needed to have access to the WoL feature. Still deciding whether I really need access to JRiver26 on my home PC from JRemote on my iPhone 8 at a remote location.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 06:10:00 pm »

I have the free version of Windows 10 and found out that Wake-On-Lan (WoL) is not available.

I don't believe that is true. Even though you may have received a free upgrade from say Windows 7 to Windows 10, you would still have either the Home or Pro editions, and they support WOL. The education edition may have some restriction, but I doubt you have that.

The normal issue with waking a PC from the internet is the capability of your router to forward Magic Packets (the things that wake the PC) from the internet to the PC. Many routers won't do that for security reasons. You will need the help of a network person to work out if your router can do that.

An alternative is just to leave the laptop turned on all the time. Just allow the hard drive and screen to go to sleep, but not the whole laptop. Then your Port Forwarding will work, and you will be able to connect to MC from the internet.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rec head

Re: Need tech support in Grand Rapids, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 07:32:57 pm »

You just need someone good at networking.  You could try the Geek Squad at Best Buy.  Your Internet provider might also be able to give you a name.

Good luck with your recovery.

Just adding on. If you are just using the gear provided by the internet service provider then their customer service should be able to walk you through it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up