INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to cause space bar to NOT start and stop player  (Read 519 times)

sking29

• Recent member

If so, how?  Thanks !!!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it possible to cause space bar to NOT start and stop player
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:26:25 pm »

Yes. I think.

Research "Resource.xml" and how to use it.

Although there is a lot of functionality around the humble Spacebar that may have been coded separately into the program. Try it and see.

Hint:     <Entry Key="Space" Command="10000" Param="-1" TranslateFlags="401" />

Also, why? I find hitting the spacebar to Pause/Play something very useful. Lots of other programs use the same functionality, like YouTube videos for example.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:58 am »

If so, how? 
What a great question. I have no wish to cease playing my music, yet far too often the spacebar gets knocked by accident and I wonder why its all gone quiet. Sometimes I can be using another program and touching the spacebar interrupts my music. Grrhh.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

sking29

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:13:19 am »

yet far too often the spacebar gets knocked by accident

Exactly what happens to me. 

Roderick or others, thanks for the hints.  Can you go a little further?  How would the header of the file be formatted, etc.  Is there an example I can follow?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 06:44:17 pm »

Okay, the simple answer, assuming that you are using the 64bit version of MC26.

Close MC and MC Media Server, if they are running.
Navigate to "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 26\Data\Default Resources" using Windows Explorer.
Find the file "Resource.xml" and make a copy of it. Leave the copy in the same directory as above, just in case you have problems or want to revert later.
Edit the "Resource.xml" file with Notepad or similar.
Find the <Entry Key="Space" Command="10000" Param="-1" TranslateFlags="401" /> line in the file.
Edit that line and change it to;
<!-- <Entry Key="Space" Command="10000" Param="-1" TranslateFlags="401" /> -->
The above comments out that line.
Save the change and restart MC.

Test whether the Spacebar still Pauses and Plays media. It shouldn't, but I haven't tested. The TranslateFlags="401" may mean more needs to be done, because 401 is achieved by 256+128+16+1 (refer to green test in "Resource.xml" file), which should mean that spacebar doesn't work in Theatre View. But it does.  ?  This is why I suspect some Spacebar functionality is hard codes, rather than controlled by the "Resource.xml" file.

Slightly longer version.
Instead of editing the original "Resource.xml" file you can create a new directory "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 26\Data\Custom Resources".
Then copy the original "Resource.xml" to the new "Custom Resources", and edit that copy.

MC should use the "Custom Resources" version of the "Resource.xml" file, and hence the Spacebar should no longer Pause and Play media.
Using the "Custom Resources" directory means that future updates won't overwrite the standard (original) "Resource.xml" file, so your fix remains in place. While updates are covered, future upgrades to new major versions will require you to copy the "Custom Resources" directory into the new location for the new MC version. i.e.  "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 27\Data\Custom Resources".

A search of the forum for "Resource.xml" will find lots of information. A search for "Resource.xml Custom" will narrow the search.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up