INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Listening solutions for hearing impaired  (Read 542 times)

• Recent member
Listening solutions for hearing impaired
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:28:03 pm »

Hello, I am looking for some equipment and suggestions for my application from those who know what results said equipment can actually provide.  It might provide a fun distraction if your up to it. 

So, my brother in law is a great guy, but he is becoming hard of hearing.  My sister sounds like she's yelling at him all the time.  He has cancer so now spends alot of time at home in the living room, playing poker on the computer and watching TV at the same time.  The TV volume is turned up real loud so I can see why she's annoyed sometimes.  My idea is to bring a little sanity into their lives.  As you can guess, hearing aides are a very expensive solution, plus I would bet that they're not great sound for tv.  My objective is to 1.  Turn the TV down.  2.  Find a way to make talking to him easier without yelling.

My first idea was to hook up my cheap little Logitech USB mic to his laptop, set it to "listen" and put some headphones on him.  But there was alot of noise coming from the mic, and a clicking from it's electronics.  The sound was also delayed by about a half a second.  It was promising in that he could hear better, but he also started hearing the noise in the mic, which is of course unacceptable.

So I've been looking into mics and mixers, and see on Amazon there are some mixers with wireless mics available, also identified as Karaoke devices.  What I'm thinking of is a mixer connected to the tv, maybe his laptop too, and a wireless mic she can use to talk to him without yelling and repeating herself.  It would need to have a headphone port, and headroom for him to turn the sound up.  It would be great if there were R/L balance controls, input gains, and a master volume.  Affordable comfortable headphones would be needed also, the more sensitive the better I suppose.

These units seem promising, but I'm concerned that at 5v, they wont have enough power for the headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Town-Microphone-Bluetooth-SWM15-PRO/dp/B07MVXXW72/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=karaoke+mixer+mics&qid=1585868607&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Bluetooth-Audio-Mixer-Professional/dp/B015NBUVE0/ref=sr_1_55?dchild=1&keywords=karaoke+mixer+mics&qid=1585868724&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-55

I also considered an Amazons Basics USB mic with headphone monitor but I'm not sure how well it would amplify the tv and room sounds combined.  This would be the cheapest option.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazonbasics-Desktop-Mini-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B07TGPSSMZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I don't have any experience with this gear at all, and am looking for suggestions from those who do, if it would work well for what I'm describing.
I also need to figure out how to get sound off the TV without loosing sound to the speakers, there's a receiver there, but I'm not sure what output options it has.  I want to make sure I have this part figured out before making a purchase.

If this sparks any thoughts or ideas, let me know.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up