INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver DSD Playback with Topping DX7 Pro  (Read 1307 times)

DSDArmy

JRiver DSD Playback with Topping DX7 Pro
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:44:00 pm »

I'd like to play DSD on my DX 7 Pro DAC but it (JRiver) converts DSD to either 352 kHz or 702 kHz PCM before it sends out. 

My settings are:

Output encoding: none
Bitstream: off
Driver: DX7 Pro [WASAPI]

When I enabled DSD bitstreaming and DSP-in-DoP format I get an empty scratchy noise (PCM). 

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRiver DSD Playback with Topping DX7 Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:29:18 pm »

Doesn't that DAC support native DSD (and not DOP)

If that's the case, then you should have bitstream ON for DSD because you're trying to send the native DSD stream to the DAC for decoding.   Also, DSD in DOP format should be turned off . 

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 09:51:09 pm »

With bitstreaming off, MC is converting DSD to PCM. If you want DSD without conversion to PCM you need to have bitstreaming ON for DSD.

With WASAPI, the DSP will be converted to DoP (DSD over PCM) which is just a way to send DSD in a PCM wrapper. That will give you either a 176 KHz or a 352 KHz PCM format, which the DAC converts back to DSD.

To send a native DSD signal you need an ASIO driver which Topping should provide.  That will send the signal at 2.8 MHz or 5.6 MHz. Again, you need bitstreaming enabled for DSD.  And you need to turn off DoP within the ASIO driver.

I would try to find the ASIO driver. It should support DoP or native sample rate DSD.

You should be using USB.

DSDArmy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:31:06 pm »

Followed your instructions and it worked. It's now playing 5.6 MHz or 11 MHz (basically plays all DSD). Thank you for rescuing me from this nightmare. One thing: the DSD is way way louder than my FLAC. Is that normal? Even on my phone the DSD is loud. That's normal, right?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:17:24 pm »

Glad it is working!

Normally DSD is softer than PCM. Not sure why you are seeing it the other way around.   Are you using volume leveling on the PCM?
Pages: [1]   Go Up