INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Control + Scrolling Motion using Apple Magic Mouse  (Read 3313 times)

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
Volume Control + Scrolling Motion using Apple Magic Mouse
« on: April 18, 2020, 11:29:12 pm »

Yes, I'm bringing this up again in a last effort before walk away from MC completely.

Volume control attached to mouse scroll motion needs to be optional or not at all. 
Moving the mouse/ cursor anywhere on the MC window that does not have a scroll and the scroll movement goes to volume control. 
ie, moving cursor up to minimize the window, if your finger touches your mouse ANYWHERE, the volume shoots up.  Moving the mouse/cursor in the tree side and theres not enough dropdowns open to utilize scroll, finger touches mouse, volume shoots up.  Why the hell does scroll need to be attached top volume at all?  Every app Ive ever used that connects the two is useless.  Because if your setting for scroll speedo is fast, then the volume shoots up or down too low.  But either way, any other app requires you cursor to be hovering over the volume.  On MC there are many locations that seems to default to volume control.

It occurs to me at least 6-10 times a week, some times late at night, kids asleep, BAM. EVERYONE UP!  Dinner party playing mellow tunes, everyone having a nice chill time, go to minimize the MC window, BAM, BUZZKILL!

As it should with any app that controls speaker volume, internal or external, it should be explicitly clear if and when the user is currently effecting the volume level.  I do not know if the different skins effect this, but that should not matter either. a brush of ones finger should not be able to make such a major ands possibly costly jump in the volume.  Volume control activated or not.  It just seems like a no brainer.  If my cursor isn't on the volume graphic, I shouldn't be effecting it.

Even when clicking on an item on a top located tool bar, the volume bumps up just a tad every time.  Even without any scroll motion applied on the mouse, the volume goes up slightly.

I've used the app for a few years now.  On multiple occasions, I've discontinued use due to this issue. But I like the features and sound quality over using the player built into my amps.  But this simple thing makes the experience a complete study in frustration.  No one should experience fear while using a media player app nor change ones hardware just to avoid the volume unexpectedly shooting up.

Thanks for listening,
J

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume Control + Scrolling Motion using Apple Magic Mouse
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:08:05 am »

I don't have a Magic Mouse, so I'll be of limited help to you.

But a little bit of research reveals scores of users like you, expressing the exact same complaint about the exact same mouse, against countless different applications.  Audio applications adjusting volume, video editing applications scrolling the editing timeline, browsers scrolling all over. And they all ask the application to adapt to ignore the Magic Mouse's behavior.  Basically the Magic Mouse is the terror of people and applications everywhere.  It's a common, widespread problem, and you're not alone.

I don't know why people don't blame the mouse or the people that made the software that controls it.  I thought it was a bad design the first time I saw it, but that's just me.  I think physical controls are a good thing and trying to replace them all with gestures is misguided.  But to each his own.

No one else has ever found a solution to the problem of the Magic Mouse, except for drastic ones.  I wanted to try and help you, but the only thing I could find, you might not like... You can disable the feature entirely. You'll find the details here:
https://osxdaily.com/2017/08/17/disable-multitouch-magic-mouse-mac/

(And if you're still on Mojave, you can use MagicPrefs.  But Apple broke that app in Catalina, and it will not be fixed.)

Apple has decided that you cannot do this per application, only globally, so that must be for the best...  ::)

Incidentally, I use the Logitech MX Revolution and MX Master mice.  They're awesome and the software lets you configure all the settings on a per application basis.

Good luck.  I hope you find a solution to your problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:30:34 am »

I also no longer have a Mac, and am mainly a Windows user these days. But in addition to Wer's comments:

Moving the mouse/ cursor anywhere on the MC window that does not have a scroll and the scroll movement goes to volume control.

This is not true in the Windows version of MC. The scroll wheel only effects the volume setting in MC if the cursor is in the Display area at the top of the MC window, or above, plus when hovering over the Volume control. If that is different in the Mac, then maybe something can be done to fix it.

Also, do you have "Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Protection" turned on?

I have a Logitech G700 mouse which allows me to turn off the normal click click click rotation of the scroll wheel and just leave it free spinning. I can spin it and have it keep going for four seconds, so a massive scroll. With Volume Protection off I can spin it and have the volume jump from 0 to 100%. With Volume Protection turned on the best I can get is 0 to 40%. Still a big change, but a significant improvement.

The other option is to turn off MC Volume Control altogether, by setting the "Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Mode" to "Disabled Volume" and using an external volume control. But that is a bit drastic.

I think Wer's main point is pretty valid though. JRiver can't make allowance for every other hardware and software bad player that you may be using on your computer. You, as the user, and the suppliers of your equipment, need to take responsibility for your computing environment.

J, I see you have raised this issue once before, and it has certainly been discussed on several occasions by others:
Further investigation reveals that the volume slider responds to the scroll wheel anywhere inside "mainframe_top_border", even when over the File, Edit etc. top toolbar items...

So maybe JRiver will consider making the volume control only activate if the cursor is over the volume control.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 06:11:24 am »

Volume control attached to mouse scroll motion needs to be optional or not at all. 

ie, moving cursor up to minimize the window, if your finger touches your mouse ANYWHERE, the volume shoots up. 
That has to be a mouse driver problem.  Try an Apple mouse.

wer

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »

The Magic Mouse is an Apple mouse.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:45:15 pm »

Try another mouse.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 05:29:25 pm »

1.  Scroll wheel for volume control is a weird idea.  It should be defeatable.  How about making it an option?
2.  With my logitech mouse, connected to my iMac, a "full scroll" of my finger on the wheel moves the volume about 5 db.  Not a dramatic change.  Clearly the Magic Mouse has some kind of extra sensitive scroll area.
3.  Software only volume control is dangerous.  Many people disagree, but look what's happening to our friend here.  He's routinely blowing the volume up so loud that he disturbs his guests and wakes up his family.  I always advocate having a real hardware volume control.  Volume knobs are friendly, fast, intuitive to use, and hard to screw up.  They are the perfect interface for the intended use.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »

1.  Scroll wheel for volume control is a weird idea.  It should be defeatable.  How about making it an option?
2.  With my logitech mouse, connected to my iMac, a "full scroll" of my finger on the wheel moves the volume about 5 db.  Not a dramatic change.  Clearly the Magic Mouse has some kind of extra sensitive scroll area.
3.  Software only volume control is dangerous.  Many people disagree, but look what's happening to our friend here.  He's routinely blowing the volume up so loud that he disturbs his guests and wakes up his family.  I always advocate having a real hardware volume control.  Volume knobs are friendly, fast, intuitive to use, and hard to screw up.  They are the perfect interface for the intended use.

Brian.
I find it annoying as well with the same mouse. I'll see if I can find a way to disable it. I think it's coming from SPMediaKey.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 05:52:32 pm »

Disabled in build 26.0.66 at the top of this forum.

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 08:25:23 pm »

Good Lord, Thank You.

Pages: [1]   Go Up