INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Hard Drive Swap Help  (Read 617 times)

samaritan

• Recent member
File Hard Drive Swap Help
« on: April 22, 2020, 08:51:11 pm »

I have my audio files stored on a dual drive NAS. The NAS has USB ports for expansion drives, where I have 2 additional portable drives connected. I need to swap out one of the external portable USB drives for a larger one. The files will be exactly the same on the new drive as they were on the old drive. MC is running on a laptop in another area of the house. Since the path will be the same, do I need to do anything with MC or will everything still work once I make the swap?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: File Hard Drive Swap Help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:30:03 pm »

You won't need to do anything permanent to MC.  As long as you maintain the same folder structure, and the same mount-point (either the UNC name or Drive Letter the PC running MC uses to access) MC will not know anything has happened.  But you do need to do certain things to prepare for the swap.

You should take four precautions, in case you make a mistake:
1. Make a library backup beforehand
2. Make sure "Run Auto-import in background" is disabled
3. In Configure Auto-import, make sure Fix Broken Links = NO
4. Close MC and any media server instance until you have completed your swap and the files are back online

Once these things are done, perform your maintenance.

Once you are done, you can restart MC, and make sure the links to all your files are still valid and working.  Only after you have done that should you re-enable auto-import or allow the Fix Broken Links setting to be anything other than NO.  If you fail to heed #2 & #3, it could all end in tears.  That's what the backup is for.

In case you don't know how to do any of 1-3, googling them will provide the answer.

Good luck...

samaritan

• Recent member
Re: File Hard Drive Swap Help
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 10:55:29 pm »

Thanks for the tips! I always have those settings disabled and "no" anyway, but I'll double check just in case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up