INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Superimpose text on images in TheaterView Season/Episode Views  (Read 404 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe

My brother recently started using JRiver and has been asking me for lots of help getting his TheaterView views tweaked the way he would like.  Today, he asked me if it's possible to display the number of episodes associated with a TV show on the page that lists the series and then the number of episodes for a given season on the season sub view.  So I showed up how to use GroupCount to add the count to the text under the Series or Season image.

His next question was if it's possible to superimpose the numbers on the Series & Season images or just above or below the images in the free space that's available.  And the answer, of course, is no, at least not with the standard skin.  I'm not sure if this is even possible with a custom skin.  He got this idea from how NextPVR displays this info on their iOS app and it actually looks pretty sharp.

So, I'm putting out a request to add support to add an expression to display at a corner of the Series and Season images - perhaps allow support for a row of text at the top and bottom of the image with support for left/center/right justification options.  A configurable row of text just above and below the image would be good alternatives.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

This is a good idea.

An extension of the Thumbnail Text with the controls to do what you want would be good. i.e. Use the "Expression to Display" field to define what is overlaid on the image, maybe with an HTML-like code to define position (Top/middle/bottom) or the number of lines to shift above the top line of the first line of Thumbnail Text, font size, font colour, justification, background colour, maybe even line break and similar functions that work in tooltip and file info panel settings.

I just set the "Expression to Display" for Series and Seasson to include the GroupCount and a line break, so that the number of episodes is shown on the second line. That works great for single line Series and Season names, but doesn't work with multiple line names.

TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) <br> GroupCount()
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

If you actually want to superimpose text on the image files themselves (which would be permanent, not dynamic) then this is easily done with ImageMagick.  There's a script that comes with MCRatings that performs the same function, and will serve as an example if you're not familiar with ImageMagick.

greynolds

If you actually want to superimpose text on the image files themselves (which would be permanent, not dynamic) then this is easily done with ImageMagick.  There's a script that comes with MCRatings that performs the same function, and will serve as an example if you're not familiar with ImageMagick.
Yeah, I'm looking for something dynamic as it would be used with things like TV shows that are currently airing.  It could also be used to display counts for movie series, such as the Marvel series and while that wouldn't be changing every week, it's still dynamic over time.

greynolds

This is a good idea.
Thanks. :)

An extension of the Thumbnail Text with the controls to do what you want would be good. i.e. Use the "Expression to Display" field to define what is overlaid on the image, maybe with an HTML-like code to define position (Top/middle/bottom) or the number of lines to shift above the top line of the first line of Thumbnail Text, font size, font colour, justification, background colour, maybe even line break and similar functions that work in tooltip and file info panel settings.
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

I just set the "Expression to Display" for Series and Seasson to include the GroupCount and a line break, so that the number of episodes is shown on the second line. That works great for single line Series and Season names, but doesn't work with multiple line names.

TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) <br> GroupCount()
We're currently putting the GroupCount result at the start of the display expression so that the count will display even for shows that have really long names.  We're also giving it a smaller font size and different color so it is distinct from the name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up