INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain question.  (Read 589 times)

Screwdriver

• Junior Woodchuck
Gain question.
« on: May 09, 2020, 04:47:04 pm »

This is not a "I am blaming JRiver" post, just a why.

Lately I noticed that the gain is less than another music player I use, Audirvana. I have no idea when this started or if it is Audirvana that got louder, but playing the same file will be louder in Audirvana then it is in JRiver...Using WASAPI and 100% volume in Win 10, both bitperfect mode.

I mean, it is not that big of a deal....just curious why it would be like that.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gain question.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »

Take a look at audio path and see what is says.  It will tell you if it's adjusting volume (if you have volume leveling turned on) or anything else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bitperfect mode."  There's no such mode in MC, but there is a collection of different settings that when all set a particular way will produce bitperfect output.

There's also an option in MC "Maximize device volume during playback" that you may or may not have set.  As I said, there are quite a few options that go into "bit-perfect" output.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:45:56 pm »

Volume Leveling?

Screwdriver

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:32:21 pm »

Take a look at audio path and see what is says.  It will tell you if it's adjusting volume (if you have volume leveling turned on) or anything else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bitperfect mode."  There's no such mode in MC, but there is a collection of different settings that when all set a particular way will produce bitperfect output.

There's also an option in MC "Maximize device volume during playback" that you may or may not have set.  As I said, there are quite a few options that go into "bit-perfect" output.

When I hover over the gear it shows nothing is in the path, which is how I think bitperfect works in JRiver. No effects, plug-ins, resampling....nothing. And volume is locked at 100% because of WASAPI exclusive.

wer

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 08:01:03 pm »

WASAPI Exclusive mode does not lock volume.

You can set volume to disabled, to get that effect.

Did you check the other setting I mentioned, Maximize device volume during playback?  Check it.  And you can try disabling volume, and check the other volume settings in MC.

If audio path is empty as you say, and you disable volume and set the option I mentioned earlier, MC will output without attenuation.  If your other app then still sounds louder, it may be doing something to boost its volume, or your sound driver settings might need adjustment.

Screwdriver

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 10:50:42 am »

WASAPI Exclusive mode does not lock volume.

You can set volume to disabled, to get that effect.

Did you check the other setting I mentioned, Maximize device volume during playback?  Check it.  And you can try disabling volume, and check the other volume settings in MC.

If audio path is empty as you say, and you disable volume and set the option I mentioned earlier, MC will output without attenuation.  If your other app then still sounds louder, it may be doing something to boost its volume, or your sound driver settings might need adjustment.

I have volume disabled, max volume at 100%. Been using JRiver and Audirvana for a few years and set both for bitperfect as described here and in the Audirvana forums etc....never changed setting and volume was always the same from app to app.  Oh, well no biggie.

Pages: [1]   Go Up