Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touch  (Read 968 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Touch
« on: May 12, 2020, 12:53:18 am »

I know that windows is still in a weird place with its touch support, but I use a surface pro and increasingly turn to touch input as my primary way to use the device. Its great to have media center in its full desktop glory on there but kind of annoying to have to use the trackpad for it. Are there any plans to improve its interface for touch use? Perhaps another view mode that is a hybrid of standard view and theater view?

I tried using theater view, and it works fine for browsing and playback, but the fact that it runs full screen means I can't switch apps.
I don't really want to use panel given that I have the ability to run real media center with its dsp and easy tagging abilities.

Id like to see an optimized standard view with
  • the tree items being a bit fatter
  • touch scrolling ability in the file lists
  • long press touch to toggle a multiple select/actions interface
  • a touch tag action window with my favourite fields in it at touch friendly size, perhaps with a modal overlay rather than in place dropdown menus for selecting values

fvl13

Re: Touch
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 09:05:04 am »

👍👍👍👍 Hear, hear. Pls.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 03:36:12 am »

Even if there is a touch pad, there is a possibility that the user will use the touch screen. Because the scroll bars are so small, you are tempted to scroll through the lists by dragging. However, this is treated as drag and drop and can result in data being changed. Annoying questions pop up.
So it would be very helpful to have a pure viewer operation, which only scrolls instead of drag and drop.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 07:41:38 am »

Even if there is a touch pad, there is a possibility that the user will use the touch screen. Because the scroll bars are so small, you are tempted to scroll through the lists by dragging. However, this is treated as drag and drop and can result in data being changed. Annoying questions pop up.
So it would be very helpful to have a pure viewer operation, which only scrolls instead of drag and drop.
I think that this is a problem with timing (how quickly you begin the move once you've touched the screen).  If you can suggest a change to the timing, we could probably adjust it.

It's possible that OS settings for the mouse might be a factor.

You can adjust the scroll bar width in MC's options.

Theater View has a  skin that is tuned for Touch.  Obsidian Touch.

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 09:30:49 am »

SOLVED:
The keyboard handling in Theater View is very good. I'll build a minimalistic USB Keyboard with only cursors and enter key. I think an arcade Joystick will do a good job here. This gives a faster and more precise handling than fiddling with touch surfaces.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 02:51:00 am »

Sorry to drag this one back up after so long. I am really hoping that the dev team are looking at this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/winui/winui3/

Would be great to get all the benefits of Media Center's current backend with all the benefits of the modern windows ui.
Pages: [1]   Go Up