INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center disappears from task manager when playing video  (Read 271 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I've got a laptop with iGPU and Nvidia GPU.  I used Graphics Settings in Windows 10 to pick MC.exe, then picked High performance, which should use the Nvidia card.

I tried to test to be sure it was using the Nvidia card by watching task manager to see what GPU it listed when I played a video, but Media Center 26 actually disappeared from the list when I played a video.  Media Center Service was still in the list of background processes, but no longer in the Apps list.  As soon as I stopped playing the video, it returned to the list.

I'm not sure this is a JRiver issue, but don't know where else to ask about it.

In looking further, I see that my shortcut actually launches Media Center 26.exe (not MC.exe), so I've added that to the list of apps in Graphics Settings also now.

Before adding Media Center.exe to the Graphics Settings, with Red October set to High Quality and Quality set to best, the video was pretty choppy.  After adding it and selecting the Nvidia GPU (GeForce MX250) it plays great, with a dropped frame every 5 seconds or so, which I can live with.

I'm not sure it really matters that it disappears from Task Manager, but I thought it worth reporting.
pretend this is something funny

millst

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center disappears from task manager when playing video
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 07:29:01 pm »

Do you see any madVR processes? That is what is handling video for MC when using Red October.
Pages: [1]   Go Up