INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files  (Read 417 times)

jmbailey2000

• Recent member
Moving Files
« on: June 04, 2020, 01:02:17 pm »

Long ago, when you Renamed files in JRiver, if the file already existed in the destination location, you got a notification and a screen that let you overwrite, rename, etc. The last several versions don't do this anymore and just automatically rename files if there is already a file with that name in the destination. And to top it off, you get ZERO notice of this.

Is this every going to be fixed or are we just at the mercy of mega duplicates of files because JRiver isn't smart enough to tell the user there is a file that already exists with that name?

Just curious. Pretty much a huge reason I rarely upgrade the software. Hoping after 3 or 4 years, something might have changed, but not seeing it in v26.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving Files
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 01:08:02 pm »

I haven't run into this issue, but I don't keep a bunch of duplicate files.  If you have "mega duplicates" it sounds like you're bumping up against this all the time.

Have you considered not keeping duplicate files, or perhaps organizing them differently?  What benefit are all these duplicate files providing?  Are they files that happen to have the same name, but are not really duplicates?

jmbailey2000

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:53:01 am »

I don't want duplicate files. I've been working to consolidate huge libraries from the family. Most had no idea how to tag properly etc. Trying to get them all in to some type of consistent means many times, the exact same file exists. When performing the rename/move, JRiver used to warn and allow you to overwrite, keep with different name or cancel. Now, it automatically renames the file causing duplicates and doesn't tell you. You are right, that under normal circumstances this wouldn't be a problem. but when it is and you literally have no warning, it is a huge hassle. After merging/cleaning my one sister's library in with mine, I eventually found 10GB worth of dupes (so far) and never once did JRiver bat an eye. Using Microsoft's "assumption" model (we assume this is how you want to do it so we'll do it for you and not tell you) is NOT a good approach.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 11:21:41 am »

Long ago, when you Renamed files in JRiver, if the file already existed in the destination location, you got a notification and a screen that let you overwrite, rename, etc. The last several versions don't do this anymore and just automatically rename files if there is already a file with that name in the destination. And to top it off, you get ZERO notice of this.

Is this every going to be fixed or are we just at the mercy of mega duplicates of files because JRiver isn't smart enough to tell the user there is a file that already exists with that name?

Just curious. Pretty much a huge reason I rarely upgrade the software. Hoping after 3 or 4 years, something might have changed, but not seeing it in v26.

I think what has changed is how Windows handles the file transfer, not MC.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:13 pm »

Personally I like the current behavior. It doesn't bother me during the transfer asking thousands of times if it's ok to overwrite or not, and I can easily set up a view to show me files with (1) in the filename. MC's views offer much more power and flexibility in determining duplicate file status than the Windows file copy/move dialog box does. Especially when taking in files from other people I have no idea if an identical filename actually means an identical file or not. Or if one file has some manually entered metadata that the other does not. You can't see any of that in the Windows file copy/move dialog so I prefer to do some manual inspection to make sure a duplicate filename actually means a duplicate file and it lets me make a better decision on which to keep and which to discard if they do prove to be duplicates.

I've also found it beneficial to keep the dirty laundry away from the clean. Files have a staging area and don't get moved into their proper homes until after I've done the minimum necessary tagging and insured it's not a duplicate of an existing file.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 12:42:13 pm »

Next build will ask for confirmation if you rename files to an existing name.  It will allow you to continue and rename or cancel.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 02:06:04 pm »

Next build will ask for confirmation if you rename files to an existing name.  It will allow you to continue and rename or cancel.

Explorer also has an option to ignore future conflicts during the current session. That would be useful for people who are making a large number of changes and want the files overwritten. But, you probably already thought of that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up