INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE: NUC ID music dropouts with 128 files  (Read 1305 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
UPDATE: NUC ID music dropouts with 128 files
« on: June 18, 2020, 09:05:47 am »

Folks--  (This is an update on a post I issued several days ago...)
I am running a JRiver 26 system with a W-10 desktop computer and NAS drive in my main listening area.  Both 64 and 128 files run without any issues on that system.

However, in a secondary room in my house I have a JRiver Media Center NUC ID receiving music files via WIFI from the main system through my router (Strong signal).  No music files are stored on the NUC ID. The NUC ID does NOT use its DAC; as I understand it, it uses a USB cable to pass the signal through to an OPPO HA-1 headphone amp that uses a higher quality DAC.  In this second room I am experiencing frequent dropouts in the 128 Jazz at the Pawnshop album; However, I have two 64 quality files that -- despite a longer delay in bringing them up through my JRiver Remote2 (tablet) --  seem to play perfectly.

Can you help me please?  Could this have anything to do with a lack of ID capacity?  The (version?) numbers I see at the bottom right of the NUC home page are:   "ID 20.0.100"  and  "MC 20.0.138"

Much appreciate your help.  THX

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: UPDATE: NUC ID music dropouts with 128 files
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 02:01:59 pm »

You could try updating the Id to the latest firmware.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:21:24 pm »

Brad --  Thanks for your response.  Do you know if there might be a difference in performance (re: playback of 128 files) between my ancient version and the current version? 
I thought that might a be a possibility -- I understand that I need to upgrade to a version 22 license of the software in order to then use that license to upgrade to the current version.  Is that correct?  This morning I dent for that license to "superid@jriver.com," but haven't heard anything yet.  Is that the correct procedure?

THANKS.

BradATIMA

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 04:43:27 pm »

There have been a lot of changes since Media Center 20. I don't know if it will fix the problem, but it's a free upgrade.

Yes, you need a version 22 license. Send an e-mail to deanna at jriver. Say that you're requesting your Media Center Id 22 license. You might need to provide your NUC serial number, which should be printed on the bottom.

Once you have the license, you just need to complete the upgrade, which is explained here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110326.msg762788.html#msg762788

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:10:42 am »

Brad -- Thank you again.

I now have a universal license from Deanna, and I don't have any media files in my ID.  Is it possible to short cut all of the details (e.g., RUFUS, thumb drive download etc.) and go directly to a download scenario throufg the ID?

Thanks

w.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:31:18 am »

No.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 08:35:26 am »

Jim --

Thank you for jumping in on this.  The only reason I was entertaining the thought of upgrading my ID is that I have begun to use Hi-Res files and in playing my first 128 album file, my main listening room (using the DAC in an OPPO 105 disc player, W-10 PC, NAS drive, MC 26) plays the file perfectly. But when I order up the album file (via WIFI using JRemote2) to the ID I am getting multiple one second audio drop outs.  So -- is it possible/likely that the problem is either with the ID software or capacity, OR the Wifi transmission?  (I was trying to eliminate the cause of the problem by upgrading the ID software.)  Hi-Res 64 files seem to play on the ID without drop outs.

BTW -- I read the directions, which seem to be well-written, but I am fairly certain that in my case, the multi-step technical terminology and process will generate numerous questions and roadblocks -- and I wanted to avoid tying up any forum space with time-consuming and naïve questions!  (If absolutely necessary, I can send my ID in for the update.)

Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 08:59:48 am »

It's probably the limit of wifi.  Try a long cable as a test.  Or move the Id closer to your wifi source.

The instructions may look daunting but it isn't difficult.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Re: UPDATE: NUC ID music dropouts with 128 files tug
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 03:31:13 pm »

Jim,

I will test as recommended.

When I switch from wifi to wire input on the ID is there a setting I have to manually change or will the ID automatically recognize when the cable is inserted and vfc then removed?

Thanks.
W.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 03:33:34 pm »

Use the text menu window to change network settings.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 08:45:19 am »

Good morning Jim,

I moved the ID close to my router and still got the same drop outs.  I then brought up the Id Network Manager screen and set the screen to under Wired Netwroks to " 0    abc vvv." at the top, and  "CONNECTED TO WIRED NETWORK" at the bottom.  (I did not then hit the "QUIT" button.)

...Played regular albums -- perfect.  Then played 128 Pawnshop album -- same drop outs.

So assuming my test was valid, and DAC in my OPPO headphone amplifier is not a problem, where do I go from here?  I never asked whether my NUC ID is capable of playing back a typical album in 128 or higher format?

It sounded from previous responses to my question about upgrading MC software on the ID that that newer versions of the software would have no relevance to this problem.

Thanks for staying with this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up