INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A remote upgrade - but there is still an issue with access key  (Read 1414 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen

I used to use EOS - Worked great for my purpose of streaming music and video when I was on the road.  That was canned.
Then switched to Gizmo on my devices..  It seems lately that gizmo is unable to connect as my IP has updated (I get this from my DynDNS which updates on the minute)

Then now a 3rd purchase could be the new JRiver Remote2 but i'm not sure it solves my issue of my access key not upgrading.
Does it support dynamic IP or just access-key ?  If just Ak then I may be the in the same situation..

Is there any method to use a quick updating Dyndyns service?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A remote upgrade - but there is still an issue with access key
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 06:48:17 am »

I use dyndns and it works.  If the Access Key doesn't work, then maybe you have more than one outside address.  Or something is blocking it. 

In MC settings for Media Network, there is a test.

The wiki has a topic called Network Access.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 12:39:44 am »

Hi Jim,

Within Gizmo the only thing I can enter is my access key.  No place to enter a dynamic DNS address.?

The access key does work but it seems to take too long to update.   It seems my address changes often when I am using Gizmo. Maybe my ISP forces it. 

When I do the test, it says my port isn't open yet yet if I test it from outside using my IP with port x.x.x.x:yyyy  it works just fine as does my other port forwarded applications.     As I said, it works,  then just stops when my IP changes..  I've also excluded the VMware IP's that are on the box.

Do I need to uninstall these other 2 apps and buy this new app to get it working properly again?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 05:46:46 am »

The access key does work but it seems to take too long to update.

How often does your Public IP Address change? Surely it isn't too often. Usually, the Access Key information is updated pretty regularly, and definitely when MC is started.

You can check what IP Addresses the MC Access Key has stored using the URL http://webplay.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup?id={Your Access Key}.

If your IP Address changes less than once a day, set up a Scheduled Task in MC or Windows to restart MC overnight. If it changes more often you might need to set up a process on your MC Server to detect the change and start MC to force an update to the Access Key information.

Also, JRemote2 does seem to accept a URL to connect to, so you can use it with a Dynamic DNS service.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 06:34:58 am »

Cheers RoderickGI..

I'm not sure how often it changes but it seems to happy often when I'm on the road and eager to hear some music or the kids watching some of their movies.

It would be great if JRiver had a mechanism to check if the IP has changed or just update it every 5 minutes. 

Can you share more about the process monitor you mentioned? Did you mean a powershell script?
Else, I may just have to use the DNS option.

Thanks for the help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:25:55 am »

I'm not sure how often it changes but it seems to happy often when I'm on the road and eager to hear some music or the kids watching some of their movies.

It would be great if JRiver had a mechanism to check if the IP has changed or just update it every 5 minutes. 
It does check and report changes to our server.  I'm not sure of the interval, but it's not too long.  You might have to restart the app you're using.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:01:10 pm »

Thanks JimH.  I've stopped and started the app and I can see the IP in the "retry #" that it's the incorrect one.  I've also tried on another client.  Rather than continuously reporting it's IP to the JRiver service, could check's be done locally?  Like reach out to "whatismyip.com" and parse the return value to compare with what it knows?  It seems from my side that it's not updating fast enough. Or my ISP is changing it when in use. Dunno.  Maybe i'll just have to use my VPN first, then stream within.

I'm eager to hear more about RoderickGI's customization
"If it changes more often you might need to set up a process on your MC Server to detect the change and start MC to force an update to the Access Key information."

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 10:28:54 pm »

You may have two connections to the outside world.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:40:32 pm »

I'm afraid you will have to research an actual solution to what I suggested. I haven't done it, so don't have a canned solution.

Yes, it could be a Powershell Script. There may be utilities already available to monitor your Public IP Address and launch a process if it changes, which in this case would be a restart command to MC. All except the last part would be outside MC.

Time to do some Googling to find a solution.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 07:59:32 am »

You may have two connections to the outside world.

No, I have default route, one firewall and one ISP.

As I mentioned, it does work.  eg. right now, I tested it and the port forward worked.    The only thing that changes is my WAN ip so not sure why that would affected anything on the inside of the network.  My other systems that use DynDNS are ok. But gizmo doesn't use DynDNS so my music streaming breaks when this happens.

Is there a way to change the refresh time with JRiver? Or know what it is ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »

Is there a way to change the refresh time with JRiver?

Not that I know of, or have seen mentioned anywhere. It really is quite frequent though. I've been surprised by how quickly it has updated in the past, as in less than five minutes on my HTPC which was running when my IP Address changed by rebooting my router.

Or know what it is ?

Only by monitoring what it currently is, and when it changes after you force an IP Address change, perhaps by rebooting your router while MC is running on the LAN, as I'm fairly sure a restart or startup of MC will do the update the Access Key data. (Confirmed)

You can check what IP Addresses the MC Access Key has stored using the URL http://webplay.jriver.com/libraryserver/lookup?id={Your Access Key}.

Just replace the {Your Access Key} with your six character Access Key and refresh the page until you see a change.

Or if you are good at using Wireshark and can work out how MC checks the Public IP Address, you may be able to monitor that activity. Hmmm, maybe look for when MC checks the webplay.jriver.com site.
I had a quick look and the request to update the Access Key is obvious when MC is restarted, but I don't see regular checks to see if the Public IP Address has changed. So you would have to look for something other than packets being sent to the IP Address of the webplay.jriver.com site. I'll leave further investigation to you.

Gizmo is a great App, which is why I kept using it for a long time, and still use it a bit now. But I have a network issue myself because of a bad router, and Gizmo doesn't work well with that issue. Completely different to your issue. So I updated to JRemote2. It is a once-off purchase and doesn't cost a lot, and it sounds like it would get around your issue by using a Dynamic DNS service.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 09:30:14 am »

I've downloaded wireshark and read up how to use it. Did a capture filter after I got the IP of JRiver.

I can see the outbound requests every hour to update the IP. (see attached)

I need mine to fast than that, or maybe some sort of detection.  May have to look into a script of sorts.  SEems like a lot of user work.

Actually, with the update string from the http request, I support I could just write my own wget script and call it say every X minutes, right?

Edit: This time with real attachment
Pages: [1]   Go Up