INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Help with TV Recording  (Read 1959 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Help with TV Recording
« on: April 18, 2003, 06:54:17 am »

1) Is there any documentation comparing the different video encoding formats?

We are still working on the documentation. Regarding this particular question, it may be easier for you just to do a search on the internet on the subject.

2) I am using a Hauppage WinTV PCI card.  Is it better to use the older WHQL drivers, or the newer non-WHQL drivers?

I tried both and could not tell much difference.

3) When I am recording TV it doesn't allow me to watch the video.  I receive a popup stating "Cannot display video to screen while recording.  Do you want to continue recording without showing the video?"  Is this how it is supposed to be?

This seems to be a hardware limitation. You need to record in lower video resolution. The default recording profile - "640 x 240 JRiver Video Codec Timeshift, WMV recording" - uses  640 x 320 for time-shifting, and 640 x 480 for recording in WMV. You need to do one or both of the following:

1. Recording at 640 x 240 or 320 x 240. To do this, you need to create a custom recording profile, or pick the existing one that says "320 x 240 JRiver Codec 29.97fps". You may be able to get by with "640 x 320 JRiver Codec 29.97fps". The bottom line is recording needs to be done at a resolution lower than 640 x 480.

2. Reduce the preview resolution to 320 x 240 or lower. To do this, go to TV Options property pages and select "Advanced Properties". Double-click the item "Video Preview Pin...", and change the video size there.

4) When playing time-shifted TV, I have no audio.  Audio is fine when not in time-shifted mode.

Did you configure the audio? On the first page of TV Options dialog, make sure you have checked the "There is a physical audio connection from my TV tuner card to my sound card" checkbox, and selected the correct audio device and audio line from the drop-down lists below it.
It also takes several seconds for TV Recording sessions to start and stop.

That does not sound right. It is true that initialization would take a few seconds, but recording session should start in less than a second.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 08:04:44 am »

Quote:4) When playing time-shifted TV, I have no audio.  Audio is fine when not in time-shifted mode.  

Did you configure the audio? On the first page of TV Options dialog, make sure you have checked the "There is a physical audio connection from my TV tuner card to my sound card" checkbox, and selected the correct audio device and audio line from the drop-down lists below it.

Yes, the audio is configured correctly as I am hearing everything fine when watching the TV live.  But as soon as I enter time-shift mode the audio stops.

Quote:It also takes several seconds for TV Recording sessions to start and stop.  

That does not sound right. It is true that initialization would take a few seconds, but recording session should start in less than a second.

Oh yeah, it is REALLY slow.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 10:47:50 am »

Yes, the audio is configured correctly as I am hearing everything fine when watching the TV live.

When you say you configured it correctly, I should trust you on that. But being able to hear the sound during normal viewing is not an indication that it is configured correctly  :D.

I am at a loss here. My WinTV card works just fine.

Try the following:

Go to TV Options, and click "Advanced Properties" tab. Double-click "Second Crossbar..." if it exists, otherwise double-click "Video Crossbar...". In the resulting dialog, choose "Audio Decoder Out..." from the list in the "Output" portion, and check what appears in the drop-down list in the "Input" portion. If it is blank, try select "Audio Tuner In..." from the list, and click Apply or OK.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 10:51:57 am »

Are you using the latest version of MC? or at least a version released during the last couple of weeks.

Using the latest version, you should not need to do this, but just in case, please check that you have selected "Line-In" for sound recording, assuming that your TV card is connected to your sound card via Line-In.

barthold

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 03:30:14 pm »

I had the same problem, no sound during time-shifting (9.0.154). I fixed it by plugging the audio from my TV tuner card (ATI TV Wonder VE) into my microphone input of my soundcard instead of the line in.... Not sure why this did the trick.

Barthold

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 05:11:57 pm »

I had the same problem, no sound during time-shifting (9.0.154). I fixed it by plugging the audio from my TV tuner card (ATI TV Wonder VE) into my microphone input of my soundcard instead of the line in.... Not sure why this did the trick.

Barthold
That did the trick for me too.  I wonder what is up with that?  Does anyone have an answer for this wierd one?

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 06:48:40 am »

OK, I've been playing with this some more and I think it has to do with the mixer settings for my sound card.

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never fly the "A" model of anything...
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 09:37:30 am »

This isn't a sound problem.

When I set the scheduler to record it starts and then stops immediately with a C++ runtime error on the scheduler. Anybody have any ideas?

Media Center Registered 9.0.155 -- E:\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III 698 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 314 MB
Resource Info: System - 28 %, GDI - 65 %, User - 28 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive K:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive K: SONY     CD-RW  CRX100E     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2003, 11:37:08 am »

You might want to start a new thread on this issue so the developers can give you a hand with this.

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2003, 04:34:41 pm »

Quote:

Barthold
That did the trick for me too.  I wonder what is up with that?  Does anyone have an answer for this wierd one?

My TV is set to record on the Line-In Input, but when I pause the TV it mutes the Line-In input.  Then when I unpause the TV, it leave the Line-In muted so that is why I am not getting the audio in my recording.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2003, 07:00:55 pm »

My TV is set to record on the Line-In Input, but when I pause the TV it mutes the Line-In input.  Then when I unpause the TV, it leave the Line-In muted so that is why I am not getting the audio in my recording.

When you pause, Line-In is muted so you would not hear the live sound. At the same time the program is supposed to record from Line-In. Muting should only mute the Line-In output, and leave Line-In input open.

When you unpause, the program should play recorded audio/video, so live sound should remain muted.

If you open Window's Volume Control while time-shifting is running (either in Paused or Resumed state), you see Line-In muted. Now if you click Options->Properties on the Volume control, and select Recording, you should see Line-In in the list and make sure it is checked. Click OK. Do you see Line In being selected as the source of recording? And the volume is set right in the middle?

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2003, 07:13:13 pm »

When you pause, Line-In is muted so you would not hear the live sound. At the same time the program is supposed to record from Line-In. Muting should only mute the Line-In output, and leave Line-In input open.  

When you unpause, the program should play recorded audio/video, so live sound should remain muted.

If you open Window's Volume Control while time-shifting is running (either in Paused or Resumed state), you see Line-In muted. Now if you click Options->Properties on the Volume control, and select Recording, you should see Line-In in the list and make sure it is checked. Click OK. Do you see Line In being selected as the source of recording? And the volume is set right in the middle?

Everything is exactly as you say, but it is still not working.   When I am paused (or resumed) the line-in playback is muted and the record channel is set to line-in.  The volume on the line-in record is set to about 72%

I also discovered that with the TV audio physically wired to  the line-in input on my audio card and MC setup for audio on Microphone that I get audio out....strange huh?  Plus if I mute line-in on the mixer, it mutes the audio in MC, even though it is set to use the Microphone...strange again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 06:47:24 am »

I also discovered that with the TV audio physically wired to  the line-in input on my audio card and MC setup for audio on Microphone that I get audio out....strange huh?

Not strange. Most TV cards, including yours, use direct audio pass-through to the sound card. It sends the sound to the sound card directly. When you tell MC that the connection is at Microphone, then MC makes sure Microphone is unmuted during normal playing and does not do anything about your Line-In, which is most likely open. That's why you still hear sound. When you do pause/resume, MC mutes Microphone (because you erraneously told it to), and makes sure Microphone recording is open. Again, Line-In remains open. So what you hear is the live sound. Not the recorded sound, which is silent, since MC tries to record from Microphone, but there is no sound there.

Plus if I mute line-in on the mixer, it mutes the audio in MC, even though it is set to use the Microphone...strange again.

Normal again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up