INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Hangs [Solved]  (Read 2945 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Random Hangs [Solved]
« on: August 18, 2020, 05:19:34 pm »

Random crashes.

Random refusal to accept keyboard input.

Soft reboot of Windows 10 temporarily fixes these.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Random Crashes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 05:34:05 pm »

Please work through this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126493.0.html

Is it a freeze or a crash?  Program unresponsive or gone?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 05:42:43 pm »

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:38:12 pm »

Thanks, JimH. The issues I refer to here are beyond the bug report on the 106 thread. Reading your diagnostics post, I should call the unfavorable outcomes "hanging" instead of "crashing."

What version of MC are you using? 26.0.106 (also happened with .103)

Have you configured Windows Defender? Yes, I established "Exceptions" for the JRiver program folder, the Roaming AppData, and all file types that are media I play.

Are you using any other antivirus.  If so, uninstall it, just to test.   N/A

Does it behave the same way on another machine?  Other machine not updated yet to this version, so no it doesn't happen on it.

Is the media on a local library?  Or is it on a NAS or USB drive?  Media is both local machine and NAS (Synology, with "Mapped Network Drives," so it's configured as if local to the machine.

What type of files?  TV recordings, and blu-ray movies in MKV containers

What OS?  Is it up to date?  Windows 10 x64, Version 20H2

Are your drivers up to date?  As far as I know.

Try turning off auto-import in the Tools menu.  Ok.

What are you playing to?   How is it connected?  Test playback to another device.  Switch among audio via ASIO, HDMI, and Direct Sound.  Computer output via HDMI to Marantz AVR7013 to LG OLED TV

I downloaded version 26.0.98 and installed it over. Problems have not re-occurred thus far.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Random Hangs
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:40:32 pm »

Still could be Windows Defender.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 09:52:08 pm »

Try local files, not from the Synology NAS.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 10:50:56 am »

Thanks, JimH.
With local files on the computer running JRiver, the same behavior happens as when the files were on NAS.

I note that you advised the hangs could still be due to Windows Defender. I would like to troubleshoot and understand that. I have already gone through the excellent and detailed tutorial on adding Exceptions. What other Windows Defender anomalies should I be searching for?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 11:14:21 am »

Did you follow the directions there?

Any other antivirus running?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 12:05:04 pm »

Did you follow the directions there?
Yes, I did. I added exceptions for all of the programs in Program Files/JRiver/  and in .../AppData/Roaming/JRiver
I also added exceptions for each type of media files (.flac, .mp4, etcetera)

Any other antivirus running?
No, I have no other antivirus nor firewall nor malware programs on this computer. I did verify that the firewall in Windows Defender is letting Media Center through.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 12:15:23 pm »

Look at your auto-import settings.  Any drives that aren't connected?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 12:29:03 pm »

Thanks for the troubleshooting step on Auto-Import, JimH.
During times that the hangs have happened, all directories have been online (or attached, or internal).

Ironically, there have been times I have run Media Center during which a location that is in Auto-Import had been unattached. During those times, movies or shows that were "offline" had a red icon to indicate that. That didn't cause hangs.

I can report based on my troubleshooting that these hangs happen in version 26.0.103 and 26.0.106, but not on 26.0.98 or prior. Having re-installed .98, I've temporarily worked around this. I've also pre-ordered the license for 27, of course, so hopefully the glitch is not something that will continue to affect this setup. I am willing to try other troubleshooting steps that may help both myself and JRiver.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 01:44:32 pm »

I am also experiencing the crashing problem.  I'm currently blaming it on Microsoft Outlook 365.  Seems odd to blame it on a program but until very recently, I didn't work from home and only used my desktop for MC and light home office use (it's a pretty powerful Intel desktop).

I did work from home for the last four weeks and installed many of the Office 365 programs on my desktop.  That's when the crashing started.  I shut down the programs one at a time and the MC crashing went away when I shut down outlook.  I get it, insufficient data and clearly anecdotal but that's my experience.

What version of MC are you using? Latest stable version

Have you configured Windows Defender? Yes, as I have for the last 5 or 6 years of MC installs.

Are you using any other antivirus.  If so, uninstall it, just to test.  No other anti virus.

Does it behave the same way on another machine? Only use on a single machine.

Is the media on a local library?  Or is it on a NAS or USB drive?  All media is on a local hard drive.

What type of files?  99% FLAC the rest being DSF

What OS?  Is it up to date? Win 10, up to date

Are your drivers up to date?  I believe so.

Try turning off auto-import in the Tools menu.  I haven't tried this.  All files are local.  I've had auto-import set to the same directory for multiple years of MC.

What are you playing to?   How is it connected?  Test playback to another device.  Switch among audio via ASIO, HDMI, and Direct Sound.  99.8% using DLNA to my PS Audio DSD DAC through a Bridge II

Currently not a big deal but it was for a while.  Even crashed during a listening session recently.  First time in "forever" that has happened.

Thanks!!

andy_0702

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 03:04:51 pm »

i would not blame outlook but last update.... i also have random crashes and i don't use laptop for anything but music..
same story. without outlook and any program running.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 03:10:23 pm »

Please send us a crash dump. See the wiki topic on Logging.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 10:17:38 pm »

I can't replicate the problem in version .98, so I will re-install .106 and try logging tomorrow...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 08:25:00 pm »

I've re-installed .106 and purged the log, then enabled logging again. So far, however, the hanging has not occurred.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 03:09:41 pm »

Got a hang, trying to watch an episode of a television series I backed up from blu-ray box set.

Logic800

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 09:49:31 am »

I too have been experiencing these 'hangs' for the last week. I think the view that it's all due to Windows Defender is a Red Herring, as I have left Defender to do its stuff without intervention for the past 6+ months without any problems.  What I have noticed is that if I force Defender to do a scan before I play music, that MC26 (the latest stable version) will connect to my DAC with a 'spit' just at the finish of the scan, rather than when I first start playing.  Just my observations.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2020, 11:08:49 pm »

I reverted back to .98 again, but MC automatically updated to .106 and resumed hanging frequently. I submitted log to this thread last weekend; hope it will reveal the issue.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2020, 11:31:48 am »

Additional troubleshooting:  I've deleted all podcasts, and disabled podcast download. (I tried this only because one of the things I did recently was subscribe to some new podcasts, and I am trying to find ANY reason for these frequent hangs of MC.)

I will try to test more when I have time, but one action that seems to reliably cause the hang (only in version .103 and .106) is to try to watch live tv when any tv program is already recording.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2020, 11:39:39 am »

Unplug all devices that you can and report what devices are left.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 11:16:11 am »

Device attached:  Internal blu-ray drive and internal storage drives

Independent of that troubleshooting step, I tried one other step as the only change:  I deleted all downloaded podcasts, and unsubscribed to all podcasts, and removed the "Podcast" item from the Theater View.  Result:  The fairly-predictable hang that happens when I try to watch a show while recording ... did not happen. Haven't convinced myself that's a workaround, but maybe...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 09:10:52 pm »

Still no hangs since eradicating Podcasts. Interesting.

amsco15

• World Citizen
Re: Random Hangs [Solved]
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 05:41:31 pm »

Log file that should capture one of many recent crashes.  MC only crashes when I have Outlook 365 loaded.  I shut down Outlook 365 over the weekend (when I am more likely to play music on my system), and MC never crashes.  Just an observation of-course.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 06:26:00 pm »

Thanks, both of you, for reporting the solution.  Something related to networking apparently.

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 04:08:30 am »

let me add my experience regarding this point.

end of last year, I had many hangs/freezes with one of my config

Here is the setup:

MC on Windows  -> ethernet -> wifi PA -> wifi  -> Raspberry (with upmpdcli)-> Hifi Amplifier

I have 3 of these setups (different RP+Amplifier but same MC server)

Only with one them, when playing music, I had regular freeze of MC (several time a day). I even can get MC systematically to freeze if I control/change the volume immediatly after moving to a new track.

At the end, I fixed the problem by moving the wifi AP nearer to the Raspberry.
Since that MC stopped freezing even when controling with the volume

Why the Wifi signal quality at the raspberry level   caused MC on windows to freeze when changing volume, I never found out.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up