INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Madvr HDR looks great but the TV won't leave HDR mode...  (Read 3701 times)

Manhole

• Recent member
Madvr HDR looks great but the TV won't leave HDR mode...
« on: August 19, 2020, 03:04:47 am »

I just upgraded my htpc so that I could enjoy my 4k content on a 4k display (previously had only been watching SDR 1080p content via htpc).  I'm using:
  • Intel core i5
  • Nvidia GTX 1060 with latest drivers
  • windows 10 fresh install (and up to date)
  • fresh JRiver 26 install
  • sony xbr 85x900F
  • denon AVR- X2300W

After a great deal of researching and solving various issues (cable bandwidth, turning off windows HDR, setting RGB full in madvr, etc), I am now at a point where I have Madvr configured the way I would want it to with tonemapping with pixelshaders on, and output hdr format.  For HDR content, this triggers my TV to go into HDR mode, which maxes brightness among other things and looks great/correct.

The issue is that it also does two things:  It turns Windows HDR setting to ON and it also makes my TV stuck on HDR mode until I turn off the windows setting AND restart the computer or power cycle the TV.

I read in some other thread that pressing stop vs back will have an effect on leaving HDR mode.  I am using the Stop function (using a mouse while testing) if it matters. 

IF I do all the tone mapping in Madvr (without outputting HDR checked), the TV never engages the HDR mode, which would be fine except that even if I manually make the brightness Max on the TV, it is still noticeably darker than if the TV HDR mode is on (so there's obviously something else going on with the TV when that mode is engaged).

I should also note that if I do HDR passthrough, the same problem happens (triggers tv HDR mode, and it won't leave, etc).

I will still be using my SDR content fairly consistently, so if possible I'd like to preserve the non-HDR settings on the tv for that content, and pop into HDR mode when the content supports it.  Right now it's not a sustainable setup due to the repetitious manual changing of settings every time I want to watch a movie.

I searched a few terms but didn't see anyone with this particular issue.  Is there a known issue (and hopefully solution) surrounding this behavior? Thanks in advance

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Madvr HDR looks great but the TV won't leave HDR mode...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:02 am »

Good morning sir. the issuses is with the latest nvidia drivers in that it dont switch madvr passthrough nvidia in there wisdom has made it switch windows 10 hdr on. the fix is to downgrade the nvidia drivers, head over to here the info is all you need  https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013

goto the nvidia section it tell what nvidia drivers are good ..

happy veiwing

Manhole

• Recent member
Re: Madvr HDR looks great but the TV won't leave HDR mode...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:05:29 pm »

That was indeed helpful, but quite a lot of info to sift through.  In case others run across this topic I settled on nvidia studio drivers 442.92 at the time of this post. 

I'll do more reading and maybe test some others later, but so far this driver solved my previous issue of the windows setting and tv being stuck in hdr mode!
Pages: [1]   Go Up