INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver is convinced every CD is Avengers' "Died For Your Sins" [Solved]  (Read 1202 times)

jshowalter

• Recent member

I bought a bunch of CDs from Amazon and was working through them, until I ripped Avengers "Died For Your Sins".

After that, every CD I put in the tray comes up as Avengers "Died For Your Sins".

I have tried:

1) Deleting the files on disk and all mention of them in the media catalog.

2) Rebooting JRiver.

3) Rebooting the machine.

At this point I'm completely dead in the water.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? If so, what's the fix? And how can I ever rip that Avengers CD without the problem recurring?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver is convinced every CD is Avengers' "Died For Your Sins"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:09:28 pm »

That could be some copy protection scheme.  Did you try a Google search?

What is the record label and the date?

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 08:25:42 pm »

I tried a Google search.

It's just a regular CD: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004W52B/.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 08:40:54 pm »

Date and label?

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 08:45:52 pm »

Barcode sticker has:

LK217CD

Rest of the paper has:

lookout! records
P.O. Box 11347
Berkeley, CA 94712-2374

copyright 1999

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 10:29:23 am »

Is there some other location for metadata that I need to delete?

There is no indication from JRiver that it has any knowledge of that CD, and the files are not on disk, but the moment I put any CD in the tray, it thinks the CD is Avengers' "Died For Your Sins".

Doesn't matter what CD I use.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 10:45:55 am »

try clearing your browser history...all of them, then shut down PC    a reboot is not sufficient

rip it with different software while MC is shutdown and then import into MC...I have a older version of MC with no library I use to rip with, I have no problems with that. but I don't have that CD

just a thought
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 12:06:42 pm »

This used to happen to me occasionally (JRiver would get "stuck" on one CD's metadata).  It usually happened when I had another program open that accessed the CD drive at the same time as MC did (in my case dBPoweramp).  Sometimes I could shake it loose by manually refreshing the metadata in the JRiver Ripping section (before ripping the CD).  If that didn't work rebooting and making sure that only JRiver was open would always work, but it sounds like that isn't working for you? 

Are you running any other software that might be grabbing/interfering with JRiver's ability to see the CD Drive?

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 08:47:13 pm »

I have no other software running that interacts with the drive.

I'll see if there's some cheapo ripping software.

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 09:10:51 pm »

Why does browser history have anything to do with JRiver?

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 12:43:46 am »

I used Windows Media Player to rip the Avengers CD, and that worked fine.

Imported the result into JRiver, and that worked fine.

Used JRiver to rip a different CD than the one that was always mistaken for Avengers "Died For Your Sins" (Lana Del Ray "NFR!"), and that also worked fine.

However, when I try to rip Lana Del Ray "NFR!", JRiver still, still persists in insisting that that particular CD is Avengers "Died For Your Sins".

Could a developer who implements JRiver please, please, chime in here? I write software for a living, and I know there has to be some dangling little bit of flawed metadata somewhere that JRiver is holding onto, and I'd really like to know how to get rid of it, because otherwise I probably have to reinstall JRiver.

I can make a video of this nutty problem and push it to "the cloud" if that would help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 01:17:18 am »

There have been quite a few similar threads in the past, and while some people just gave up, I think a few found the solution.
I'm pretty sure there was even mention of where the data was coming from, when it got repeated from the previous CD.
Some users just bought a new optical drive.
There was mention recently of Upper and Lower CD Drivers that some software wraps around the Windows drivers that affected ripping. Here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125794.msg871760.html#msg871760
Have you been trying to "Update from Online Database" when MC gets the CD metadata wrong? That should refresh the data.

Maybe a thorough search would find more information.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 07:03:15 am »

I had this problem a few years ago. I never did find a solution. I spend hours trying to discern a pattern but never did.  But it only happened on one CD drive on one system. I always thought it was related to some buffer or temporary file that was not getting cleared.  But it was only on one specific drive, a LG portable usb drive.  I just switched to using an internal drive and have not had the problem since.

As Rod says, it happens to people from time to time and nobody has found a simple solution. Probably time to try a different drive.

jshowalter

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 10:30:13 am »

Using Windows Media Player, I was able to rip both the Avengers CD, and the Lana Del Ray CD that JRiver kept thinking was the Avengers CD.

Then I was able to import both of those into JRiver, and resume ripping with other CDs, without the problem showing up.

I'll try update from database if it happens again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up