INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Files From A Web Based Library  (Read 1444 times)

cshl

• Recent member
Importing Files From A Web Based Library
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:05:36 am »

Hello To All:

My external hard drive failed and consequently I lost 1.8TB of music. No backup. My research tells me that external hard drives life expectancy may be about 5 years. I swear that I will never stored my music files on an external hard drive.

I would like to know if my JRiver Media Player would be able to import my music files if they are stored on the web. I know that I can stream, however that takes away from what I want. I need to play my files through the JRiver Media Player.

Also if there are any other suggestions, I would appreciate to hear from you all.

Just to let you all know that I am 70 year old, so please use layman language so I can understand your reply.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Thanking you in advance

stefano_mbp

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Importing Files From A Web Based Library
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:00:07 am »

Very sorry for your incident...
... but, frankly speaking, you have now learned that a backup is a must.
With hdd the question is always “when” they’ll break and not “if”
My suggestion is to buy two (three is better) hard disks and manage with absolute rigor your backups.
The first hdd should be the “work” copy, the second should be the “master” copy and the third a second “master” copy, and keep these last two copies in a safe place.
There are many software to easily manage backups, they have the option of “incremental” copy instead of full copy, that is to say that the first time there will be done a full copy and the next only the changes/additions will be copied.
The one I use, and it is free, is FreeFileSync, it is available for Windows and macOS.
After the first copy it will cost you few minutes only to keep your copies synchronized and your files will be safe from this kind of issues.
Hope this can help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »

It might be possible to recover some or most of your music.  There are utilities for that purpose.  Try a Google search.  Don't try to use the drive until you find something.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 01:26:21 pm »

Thanks for your response

I am in the process of doing this with Stellar Data Recovery
Pages: [1]   Go Up