INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: linux mediacenter hangs UbuntuStudio 18 xfce, mouse unreponsive must reboot  (Read 1882 times)

jimays

Hello.  I am running UbuntuStudio 18.04 with the xfce desktop
and am having problems where mediacenter causes the machine
to lock up such that the mouse is unresponsive and I must reboot.

I have tried many combinations, most recently
MediaCenter 26.0.107 with the UbuntuStudio 4.15.0-112-lowlatency kernel.

It was also locking with 26.0.106, and I also went back and tried MediaCenter 25.0.114.

I also went back to 4.15.0-96 of the kernel and the machine was still locking up.

I tried playing through the USB and also through the 1/8" jack, so more than one driver.
I tried both with and without the option of loading the music to memory.

My most recent run hung within 3 minutes, although I have seen it last a lot longer than that.

Other players such as Roon play for many hours continuously on this same machine,
so I know that the hardware itself is ok.  Motherboard is an AsRock Q1900B-ITX.

I enabled logging as per the Wiki and have attached the log file started right before my most recent attempt.

Gratitude for your assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Re: linux mediacenter hangs UbuntuStudio 18 xfce, mouse unreponsive must reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 05:19:06 pm »

Did you try a different desktop?

jimays

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 05:27:45 pm »

I have not tried a different desktop as this system is highly attached to xfce in that it is a special music-oriented server that I deliver to clients with many custom menus all created using xfce.
Our clients often purchase a JRiver license to use with our server and our special DAC.
In fact, the only player our current client wants to use is JRiver, which is the only player which is not working...

We did try just playing through the 1/8th inch jack to make sure it wasn't our USB drivers,
and the system still got stuck.

This particular machine uses a different motherboard than what we have used before.
However, we have used half a dozen different motherboards that have been fine, and I am having a hard time imagining what would cause JRiver to hang on this board when other players such as Roon, HQPlayer, and RhythmBox all play overnight just fine.

I was hoping you might see something I missed in the log.

After seeing your post, I infer you think it may have to do with the display, so I tried disabling the slideshow and still the same thing.  Plays for a few minutes and then everything hangs.

Is there a developer build or something else you can think to try to give us some more information?  Gratitude

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:38:58 am »

Not seeing anything interesting in your log.

You might try turning off Media Network if you don't need it in case there is a malfunctioning device on your network (I did see some info from a LG device in the log).

The only other thing I can think of is some conflict with your kernel choice.
Perhaps remove the /etc/security/limits.d/mediacenter26.conf file and reboot to disable MC's use of realtime priorities.

jimays

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 11:12:15 am »

Hello,
We switched to a different motherboard and everything is now ok.
Gratitude for helping to track this issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up