INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no i2s device in playback option-audio device  (Read 2681 times)

charlychan

• Recent member
no i2s device in playback option-audio device
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:36:13 am »

Goodday,

For my raspberry pi 4 I have install JRiver on raspberian and try to play i2s signal to my Dac, a DDDAC 1794 kit, on top of the raspberry I use a FiFoPi reclocker
When using Volumio or Moode I have no problem, there I can choose between several devices
however, running JRiver I can't choose any i2s device in playback options like generic i2s or hifiberry dac
What is going wrong ?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: no i2s device in playback option-audio device
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:51:16 am »

Goodday,

For my raspberry pi 4 I have install JRiver on raspberian and try to play i2s signal to my Dac, a DDDAC 1794 kit, on top of the raspberry I use a FiFoPi reclocker
When using Volumio or Moode I have no problem, there I can choose between several devices
however, running JRiver I can't choose any i2s device in playback options like generic i2s or hifiberry dac
What is going wrong ?
Any device that has an ALSA driver will show up just fine, I use a HiFiBerry DAC every day.
Make sure your user is in the Audio group.

charlychan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:12:34 am »

The FiFoPi reclocker is on the raspberry pi and there is no driver for the fifopi
It is a "standalone machine" dddac 1794 - fifopi - raspberry- TVC volumecontrole
operate via remote desktop

thanks

charlychan

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 05:48:55 am »

The FiFoPi reclocker is on the raspberry pi and there is no driver for the fifopi
It is a "standalone machine" dddac 1794 - fifopi - raspberry- TVC volumecontrole
operate via remote desktop

thanks

Solved the problem,
I'm just learning how things to do in linux but what I did is working for me, maybe there are better solutions but I'm glad it worked

cd /boot
sudo nano config.txt

Removed the line, dtparam=audio=on

Add the lines dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus   dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

:P :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:54:27 am »

Thanks for posting the solution.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 01:40:27 pm »

I forgot that we do that by default on the IdPi.
There is a eeprom on the hifiberry (and other devices) that are supposed to eliminate the need for the manually specifying the overlays someday but it appears that's not been implemented on Raspbian yet.

charlychan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 07:08:11 am »

No problem, it doesn't hurt my 2 braincells which are left  ;D
But a few notes, dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus is not necessary
futher, soundwise it is not the same level as volumio, maybe this is because MC 26 is running on raspbian os with all futures and volumio is a standalone os
In my situation when using my machine as an all in one solution ( dac, pre amp, raspi 4 with 4TB hdd) > 2x amps
volumio is best solution soundwise...but to navigate and tagging it is a disaster
I think, as I understand it well, the IdPi is a kind of MC os, I just ordered one and hope it beats the volumio

Grtz

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 02:11:39 pm »

No problem, it doesn't hurt my 2 braincells which are left  ;D
But a few notes, dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus is not necessary
futher, soundwise it is not the same level as volumio, maybe this is because MC 26 is running on raspbian os with all futures and volumio is a standalone os
In my situation when using my machine as an all in one solution ( dac, pre amp, raspi 4 with 4TB hdd) > 2x amps
volumio is best solution soundwise...but to navigate and tagging it is a disaster
I think, as I understand it well, the IdPi is a kind of MC os, I just ordered one and hope it beats the volumio

Grtz
You can use the ALSA system mixer to increase the volume of the HiFiBerry. For some reason it defaults to 1/2 and MC can't can't control the hardware volume for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up