INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomerun Changes in MC27  (Read 1672 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
HDHomerun Changes in MC27
« on: September 10, 2020, 06:49:00 pm »

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDHomerun Changes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 07:44:44 pm »

So I've now got 2 versions of all my TV Stations (HDHomeRun). 
- Original is: Type=DVB-T with data like
Code: [Select]
Type: DVB-T
Database key: 8651601
XMLTV Identifier: 2

Attributes:
    Not a member of a group

Network ID: 12817
Service ID: 545
TSID: 545
Frequency: 226500
Bandwidth: 7
ONID: 4112
Audio PID: 650
Audio format: MPEG-1 Audio
Video PID: 512
Video format: MPEG-2 Video
Is DVB2: False
- New is: Type=Tuner Stream with data like
Type: Tuner Stream
Database key: 8806625
XMLTV Identifier:

Attributes:
    Not a member of a group

Device: HDHomeRun DMS 12305581 (HDHomeRun CONNECT)
URL: http://192.168.1.xxx:5004/auto/v2
Channel: ABC

Which method should we use?
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 08:07:37 pm »

The original version is currently better supported. The DMS (Tuner Stream) channels can be played live but time-shifting and recording are to be implemented.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 08:12:14 pm »

OK - I can answer this one.  Use the traditional DVB-T Stream as it:
- Plays like local media
- Uses MC's Red October
- Used MC Audio Path

The newer "Tuner Stream"
- plays like an external video URL
- No Red October
- No MC Audio Path

Also in a quick look, I get the "Green Band of Corruption" on SD Channels (HD is Fine)

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 08:14:55 pm »

The original version currently better supported. The DMS (Tuner Stream) channels can be played live but time-shifting and recording are to be implemented.

Also - It may cause confusion to some existing users when they get all these "duplicate" DMS channels appearing.  Is there a simple way to suppress them, or should I just hide them all, one by one?
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 08:48:46 pm »

Hiding them is currently the better solution.  You don’t have to do it one by one. In Manage Channels, you can click the Type column header to sort channels by type, then select multiple channels by holding down Shift key. Right-click and choose Hide.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:53:31 pm »

Can you look in the log file and find a line like this:

0021047: 27336: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun EXTEND, Model number HDTC-2US, firmware name hdhomeruntc_atsc

I am using firmware name hdhomeruntc_atsc to identify the device being an ATSC tuner and thus I can avoid creating Tuner Stream channels if ATSC channels are already there.  If we can find a sure identifier for DVB-T tuners, I can try doing the same.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 05:48:14 am »

Can you look in the log file and find a line like this:

0021047: 27336: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun EXTEND, Model number HDTC-2US, firmware name hdhomeruntc_atsc

I am using firmware name hdhomeruntc_atsc to identify the device being an ATSC tuner and thus I can avoid creating Tuner Stream channels if ATSC channels are already there.  If we can find a sure identifier for DVB-T tuners, I can try doing the same.
Sounds like a good idea, it is:

0011656: 35168: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun CONNECT, Model number HDHR4-2DT, firmware name hdhomerun4_dvbt

So I'm guessing (as they have a few models) you would want to skip on:
*_atsc and
*_dvbt
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 10:03:50 am »

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 01:59:55 pm »

Also - It may cause confusion to some existing users when they get all these "duplicate" DMS channels appearing.  Is there a simple way to suppress them, or should I just hide them all, one by one?

Hiding them is currently the better solution.  You don’t have to do it one by one. In Manage Channels, you can click the Type column header to sort channels by type, then select multiple channels by holding down Shift key. Right-click and choose Hide.

I forgot to mention that you can also disable the DMS devices in "Manage Devices".  Once all DMS devices are disabled, MC will not try to automatically create channels for that type.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 04:57:42 pm »

@Yaobing, Yeah I'm a bit torn between the two different options as I think they have potentially different uses (if what I'm thinking is correct)...
1) Traditional Tuners:  (Currently) best for MC based Clients (all the goodies work and have for years) = best quality and flexibility, but you have to setup
2) New DMS Tuners:  Easy to setup and as they are a stream direct from the HDHomeRun it should work on all clients (web, remotes, etc and regardless of OS) without MC needing to transcode anything.  I presume you just hand off this stream to the clients?  Downside is there is (currently) no processing done on MC (Video / Audio etc) so all the goodies from MC are not applied.  Also that Green Corruption on SD Channels looks like an old bug from years ago.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 05:08:15 pm »

@Yaboing.  Got another one.  Hiding the DMS Channels work (and is easy enough) and in Std View they don't appear in the Channel List or the EPG.  But in TheaterView, they appear in the EPG (so I've the double channels)
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »

@Yaboing.  Got another one.  Hiding the DMS Channels work (and is easy enough) and in Std View they don't appear in the Channel List or the EPG.  But in TheaterView, they appear in the EPG (so I've the double channels)

Check your Theater View settings (Tools > Options > Theater View) and see if you have this rule for Guide:

-[=TVInfo(ChannelKeywords)&DataType=[List]]=[Hidden]

If you have been keeping your customized Theater View settings from years ago, you might not have this one.  If not, you can add it manually.

Read Step 1 of this wiki on Theater View Guide setup

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDHomerun Changes in MC27
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 07:38:05 pm »

Thanks - that fixed it.
JRiver CEO Elect

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 11:45:30 am »

The same issues and considerations for ATSC. I hid 150 or so duplicate "TunerStream" channels this morning.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 12:08:14 pm »

The same issues and considerations for ATSC. I hid 150 or so duplicate "TunerStream" channels this morning.

I made a change to compare firmware name with "*_atsc" instead of "hdhomeruntc_atsc" which might fix the issue for you in the next build.  Which device are you using?  Start MC, wait for DMS tuners to be discovered, go to Television view, then open Logging.  Search for a line that looks like the following:

0066797: 20484: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun EXTEND, Model number HDTC-2US, firmware name hdhomeruntc_atsc

If you find one, what is the firmware name?

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 04:51:43 pm »

I made a change to compare firmware name with "*_atsc" instead of "hdhomeruntc_atsc" which might fix the issue for you in the next build.  Which device are you using?  Start MC, wait for DMS tuners to be discovered, go to Television view, then open Logging.  Search for a line that looks like the following:

0066797: 20484: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun EXTEND, Model number HDTC-2US, firmware name hdhomeruntc_atsc

If you find one, what is the firmware name?
I didn't find one. Not sure if it is because I need to do something different - a couple of days ago I just updated the HDHomerun devices firmware and windows driver, then updated MC to 27.12. Then a day later or so the guide had all the tunerstream channels show up on the server but not on clients. I hid them on the server and all is well.  Here is my logfile, please let me know how I can provide better info. My tuners are model HDHR5-4US.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 06:46:38 pm »

I didn't find one.

My guess is you did not re-start MC.  Restart MC, wait for it to discover DLNA devices.  The device(s) will show up in Playing Now.  Expand "Playing from Main Library", you should see "HDHomeRun DMS xxxxxxx", where xxxxxxx is an ID number consists of numerals and letters.  Once you see the device showing up, click Television in the tree to go to TV view.  After a few seconds you should check the log and search for "Friendly name"

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 01:32:03 pm »

Got it, here is the relevant line and logfile:
0084219: 8880: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO, Model number HDHR5-4US, firmware name hdhomerun5_atsc

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 05:57:58 pm »

Got it, here is the relevant line and logfile:
0084219: 8880: TV: : Friendly name HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO, Model number HDHR5-4US, firmware name hdhomerun5_atsc

Thanks.  The next build will be better on this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up