INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stopping towards the end of a song  (Read 2562 times)

Tromstar

Playback stopping towards the end of a song
« on: September 25, 2020, 02:13:40 pm »

Since installing Media Center 27 I often find that playback stops before the end of a song, and a message comes up saying that 'Playback cannot continue'. I still have Media Center 26 installed on the same PC and this version always plays the entire song. When installing MC27 I restored all settings over from MC26 so there shouldn't be any differences in settings.

Does anyone else have this issue?   

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback stopping towards the end of a song
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 07:44:09 pm »

Does anyone else have this issue?   

Well, not me.

What do you have set in "Options > Audio > Track Change". All settings there, such as Silence.
What is your audio device, and its settings? Connection method, USB, DLNA, Toslink, analogue, other?
Any other components or software in the audio chain? i.e. Music Cast, JPlay, VST plugins?
Does it happen when you are playing just one Track, or a number of Tracks? Every Track, last Track only, on Album change, on file format change, etc.?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Tromstar

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 02:00:23 pm »

Thanks RoderickGI,

Since my previous post I have had more time to experiment, and have found that songs only sometimes stop playing, so this is intermittent and I think that it may be a coincidence that the 3 or 4 times that I noticed this happening it was always near the end of a song. This happened during album playback (immediately replaying the failed track always seems to be successful).   

I am running Windows 10.0.18362 with MC 27.0.15 (64bit) in audio only mode, my Track settings are set to 'Gapless', I am not using Media Network or any of the cloud services. I do have VST's installed but they are not active. I nearly always listen to complete albums via an Oppo DAC connected via USB2 using the Oppo ASIO driver. I have 'Memory Playback' enabled in the settings.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 06:08:56 pm »

Hmmm. Are you still sure MC26 always works, and MC27 has this problem?

'Playback cannot continue' is a pretty specific message. My first thought is that communication to the DAC has been interrupted for some reason.

You could try connecting using a different USB port on the PC. Preferably a USB 2 port, and preferably on a different controller to the current port. You will need to check your Motherboard manual to see if that is possible. If you are playing high resolution files, it should be compatible with USB Audio Class 2.

Maybe buffers could be an issue. Check that the MC27 buffer settings are the same as MC26. Sometimes during an upgrade some settings can be changed, set to default, because functionality has changed. I noticed my audio device buffer was changed a couple of days ago when I was testing stuff. So check.

Otherwise, run a MC log and see if there is anything obvious in there. Search for a track that has had a stop event, and follow the playback thread for it. There may be a relevant message.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Tromstar

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 06:42:48 am »

Thanks RoderrickGI for your suggestions.

I think I have narrowed down the cause to the (USB3) hard disk that I have my music stored on, sometimes taking a little too long to become available to MC27, interestingly I still can't replicate the issue on MC26.

I found that changing 'Load full file (not decoded) into memory' to 'Load full album (not decoded) into memory' solved the problem for me. I wonder if MC27 could be a little more sensitive to IO interrupts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 07:01:26 am »

Is the drive on a USB3 port?  Try another port.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 04:09:15 pm »

I think there were some changes to the timing of following Tracks being loaded, to avoid interference with playback. Though from memory all those would have been in MC26. You could have a look in the Release Notes.

Otherwise, I don't know why MC26 would work fine and MC27 wouldn't, unless you haven't tamed your antivirus software for MC27 and it is still scanning the files as they are loaded, which would add delay. That combined with spinup time of the USB Drive could mean MC doesn't get the new track in time, and can't continue. If that is the case then you are likely to see the problem at Album change.

You could change the spin-down time on the USB Drive, and trying a different USB port is always worth trying. I've just reshuffled the USB connections on my Workstation just because some devices work better on some ports. USB is still a bit finicky, although in my case it could just be my old PC and peripherals.

LeafThief

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 08:27:21 pm »

MC 27 worked well for me initially, but I now have a similar issue of songs pausing near the very end of the track.  This was seemingly random as to which track would / would not pause.  I too changed my setting to 'Load full album (not decoded) into memory' and so far this seems to have resolved my issue.  I am running MC 27.0.85 (64 bit) on Windows 10, build 19043.1237.
Pages: [1]   Go Up