INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sampling Rate problem with audio programs  (Read 1409 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Sampling Rate problem with audio programs
« on: October 25, 2020, 01:55:45 am »

For a long time now I have a problem between MC and my other audio programs (WaveLab Pro 10, iZotope RX 7 and AudioHijack). If I edit an audio file with 96 kHz in WaveLab and then play an audio file  b in MC, the audio file in MC plays at half the speed and pitch - like on a tape recorder at different speeds.
This doesn't happen with iTunes or between the other audio programs.
Frank

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sampling Rate problem with audio programs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 01:09:19 pm »

What's your audio device?

MC simply asks the system for the supported rates for the selected device and picks the one that matches.
You can see the process clearly in the log file.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 06:25:26 am »

Different audio devices: FX Audio, audioengine D1 for the MAC and headphones, a Musical Fidelity and a Mark Levinson D/A Converter for my stereo system.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 11:17:17 am »

What are your audio settings in MC?
Device
Exclusive access
Integer mode

Post a log when you are seeing that problem in MC. Thanks.

wer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 12:43:00 pm »

Post a log when you are seeing that problem in MC. Thanks.

Even better, provide a link to one of your edited files that you say MC plays back incorrectly.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 01:51:14 am »

I just reproduced the problem:
I played a 24/96 file in WaveLab and subsequently a 16/44 in MC (newest build). MC plays no music but Mickey Mouse (much too high and too fast).

Frank

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 01:54:33 am »

And here are the audio settings as a screenshot

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 01:58:02 am »

I wanted to post screenshots of the WavLab and MC, too, while playing the files but got the rolling message:
Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 01:59:28 am »

I'll try to post the screenshots as single files. Perhaps that works.
Here is WaveLab playing:

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 02:04:41 am »

... and here MC

wer

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 02:17:59 am »

Are you saying that this misbehavior only happens in MC immediately after you've edited any file in Wavelab at 96KHz, or that an edited then saved 96KHz file that plays correctly in Wavelab always plays incorrectly in MC?  If the latter, post the file as I said before.

If the former, have you tried selecting something other than Core Audio, and enabling exclusive mode?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 02:27:33 am »

This misbehavior only happens in MC immediately after I have edited any file in Wavelab at 96KHz and then play a file in MC in a different rate. Same happens with 44 - 48, 32 - 44 ...... and with any other audio editing program (like iZotope RX). And connecting the audio device via USB instead of bluetooth makes no difference.

wer

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 02:42:49 am »

If the former, have you tried selecting something other than Core Audio, and enabling exclusive mode?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 08:01:26 am »

Something other than core audio shows the same result. Exclusive access solves the problem for MC but makes it impossible for all other programs to play in a different rate. I often use them parallel when digitising material from a tape deck, LP or shared from friends to control the pitch.

wer

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »

Thanks for the tutorial link but that doesn't solve the problem.
Yes the exclusive access mode is the one for optimal sound and normally I am using just that. But there are - as already described - many moments where I need to disable that option. And yes: I can work with different audio programs on the Mac when the exclusive mode option is unchecked. But the switch doesn't really work and that only happens with MC and no other audio program whether editor or media player (as - sadly still though better in the meantime - special characters and window mapping on the Mac. In some respects it's still a Windows program not fully transferred to the Mac.
Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 01:27:05 pm »

Take a look at Zones and Zoneswitch on the wiki.  You can have two different configurations and switch automatically or manually between them.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 12:52:42 am »

Thanks for all the advise but that doesn't really heip.
If I disable the exclusive access I can use my audio programs parallel.
But the problem remains:
If I play a 96 kHz file in WaveLab and then a 44 kHz file in MC, MC doesn't change the rate to these 44 kHz but in that of WaveLab. The MC file plays with an absurdly wrong pitch and speed.
Does that only happen on my Mac? At least it only happens with MC (newest build)
Frank

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 09:14:53 am »

The audio device opening in MC Mac is very straightforward. It simply asks the Mac for all of the formats it supports for the chosen device and then chooses the one with the correct sample rate, bits, etc.

I can't think of any way this can fail other than perhaps something changing the formats on the fly.

I don't know what the exact sequence of your actions are but you might try turning off gapless track transitions (use standard) to force MC to re-open the device on every track or when you get an error in the playback rate hit stop a couple of times and MC and then play again to see if anything changes.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 01:00:11 am »

The only possibility for me to work parallel with MC and an audio editor is to use the same sampling rate on both programs. Or simply to use iTunes.

wer

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 01:27:05 am »

The audio hardware can only physically operate at one sample rate at a time. For simultaneous operation on two files of different sampling rates, one must be resampled for playback. This does happen, even if you are not aware of it.

The reason I pointed you at that article was so you could understand the point of exclusive mode: it's not about some generic notion of "optimal sound", it's so MC can take control of the audio hardware, to change the sampling rate to whatever is required. Only one application can lock the audio chip for exclusive access at a time.

If you want to be able to process two different sampling rates at the same time, add a second audio adapter that supports exclusive mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up