INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can JRiver run off two EHDs?  (Read 2193 times)

crisp

• World Citizen
Can JRiver run off two EHDs?
« on: October 29, 2020, 02:29:47 pm »

I'm running out of space on my 3TB EHD. Rather than buy one new EHD for all my files, I'd like to move the video files to a separate EHD so I can keep the original EHD for audio and have an additional EHD for video. Would JRiver be able to handle this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can JRiver run off two EHDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:30:56 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:49:44 pm »

Thanks. So to confirm, I can use that procedure to move files from one EHD to another? If so, that's excellent. Then I can have 2 EHDs connected to my computer and JRiver will simultaneously read them both?

HaWi

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:00:50 am »

Thanks. So to confirm, I can use that procedure to move files from one EHD to another? If so, that's excellent. Then I can have 2 EHDs connected to my computer and JRiver will simultaneously read them both?
There is more than one way to achieve this.
  • You can attach three eHDs and if MC points correctly to the media files on the first two eHDs you can transfer all media files to the third eHD in pretty much one click once you have set up MC to the correct desired file location. This works well but you have to be absolutely sure all is set up correctly.
  • Personally, I would move all the media files into a single structure (e.g. media/music/{album artist}/{album}/{track}.xxx) using the OS file browser (e.g. Windows Explorer or MacOS Finder). Then just point MC in the correct direction.

Using MC to move files on a global scale makes me nervous so I usually do it only at the album/track scale but not any wider.
Whatever you do, I'd strongly recommend to plan this out, experimenting with a mock set up with just a few albums and a test MC library and make sure you have solid back-ups of your library and your media files.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 3830
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 9468
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 06:36:47 am »

Thanks. The video files I want to move amount to 90GB of data. Maybe I could just drag and drop them from one eHD to the other then reimport into JRiver. Or would that not work?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 06:47:54 am »

Try the Rename, Move and Copy tool on a few files.  It's reliable and will preserve any metadata.

Make sure you're using USB 3.0 ports on all drives.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 07:15:21 am »

OK will do. Thanks.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 03:22:52 pm »

That process worked perfectly -- much easier than I feared. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up