INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Noise? [Solved]  (Read 1301 times)

Norman Neil

• Recent member
White Noise? [Solved]
« on: November 08, 2020, 10:26:50 pm »

So, all of a sudden, whenever I try to listen to JRiver MC26, all I get is white noise?

My system: Asus VivoPC (mini) -> USB -> Singxer SU-1 DDC -> IIS -> Gustard DAC-x20 Pro -> Preamp -> monoblocks -> speakers. I have a 50" 4K screen as my monitor.

It just starting doing this without me changing or messing with anything?

The weird thing, is when I watch Netflix, the sound comes through fine?

I'm using the Singxer USB driver.

I've checked (rechecked) all my cabling.

Any thoughts?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: White Noise?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 11:49:40 pm »

Cut everything out of the chain between the PC and the DAC and see if that fixes the issue.

Norman Neil

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 08:15:47 pm »

When I connect the PC directly to the DAC via Toslink, JRiver works fine.

What's weird is that I can listen to YouTube, Windows Media Player and Netflix just fine through the DDC -> 6" IIS cable -> DAC combo?

Just not JRiver.

Update: When I set Bitstreaming to None (from DSD) and set output encoding to None in JRiver, I can play files. However, DSD256 files are showing as being played at PCM 176.4 KHz in my DAC.

I'm now left wondering if this change occurred when I upgrade from JRiver 25 to 26?

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »

JRiver is capable of outputting in different formats than those programs; they all use DirectSound. So you might check how MC is configured, and look at Audio Path during playback, while connected to the Singxer. Perhaps the Singxer cannot digest what MC is outputting. Your DAC isn't showing you what MC is sending, it's showing you what the Singxer is sending.

The problem may be in the JRiver audio config for the Singxer device, or in the config of the Singxer driver, or in the config of the device itself.  It is evident that the problem lies in that part of the chain.

But what are you trying to achieve by having the Singxer between your PC and the DAC? Do you think it is somehow improving things?

You have a good quality DAC, that is capable of accepting the USB data directly from MC.  Letting MC talk directly to your Gustard DAC via USB will produce the best results of which your system is capable.

In fact, your exact device has been tested over at AudioScienceReview, while hooked up to a Gustard DAC. The conclusion was that the Singxer made zero improvement when connected between the PC and the Gustard DAC. Take a look:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-singxer-su-1-usb-to-s-pdif.7095/

There's also an analysis of the Singxer's performance over the I2S interface:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i%C2%B2s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/

I understand there are various "mods" available for that DAC, each of which of course "takes it to a whole new level". Perhaps that's the avenue you're pursuing with the Singxer.

Good luck...

Norman Neil

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 10:48:58 pm »

I've had this exact setup since 2017. Prior to upgrading to MC 26 (or a recent Windows 10 update?), this setup had worked just fine .

I bought the Gustard without a USB module as I was always planning on running the USB signal into the Singxer, and then IIS into the Gustard.

The Singxer has had its power supply upgraded (SBooster Ultra 4.5V power supply).

As for the Audio Science Review article, I'm a musician (I play trumpet in an Orchestra). I rely on my ears to listen to the music, not measurements.

But thanks for the reply.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 07:54:42 am »

Cut everything out of the chain between the PC and the DAC and see if that fixes the issue.

I agree.  As you found, it works when you do that.  Something in between is causing trouble.

You've said that it did work before and nothing has changed.  Is it possible that something did change?  The power supply in the Singxer, for example?

There is a topic linked in my signature called Weird Problems.  You could take a look there for more ideas.

Norman Neil

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:50:58 pm »

I'll try uninstalling MC26 and reinstalling MC25.

[Edit]: So I tried uninstalling MC26 and re-installed MC25.  Now, when I set Bitstreaming to None (from DSD) and set output encoding to None in JRiver, DSD files sound awful. At least in MC26 they sounded fine.

So I'm now starting to think that the DSD decoder module in the Singxer has failed.

Norman Neil

• Recent member
Re: White Noise? - Fixed!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 08:01:40 am »

So an update for anyone following this thread.

I've solved (or resolved) the problem.

I think a recent Windows 10 update somehow corrupted the Singxer USB driver? Once I deleted it and re-installed it, I can now play DSD files without any issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up