INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M2V and M1V Movie Files  (Read 1533 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
M2V and M1V Movie Files
« on: April 05, 2003, 05:36:10 pm »

Does MC9 play them? I can't get mine to work. I get "Please select files to play". Whazzup?

Media Center Registered 9.0.143 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 533 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 98 MB
Resource Info: System - 16 %, GDI - 52 %, User - 16 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeSynch   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G:          40X12X48 CD-RW     Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
That's right.
I'm cool.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: M2V and MiV Movie Files
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 06:05:57 pm »

Don't know what they are.  Try renaming them.  mpg?  or mpeg?  Mov? Try a google search to see what they are.

nila

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 12:49:33 pm »

They're mpeg 2 movie files and it does play them.
I use MJ to play mine.

What I had to do though was this to get them to work properly:

Went into explorer and right clicked and chose: open with, then selected WMP and chose: Always use this program.' That associated my m2v files withWindows Media Player.

MJ then played and got the info for them correctly.
Before I did this it was trying to tell me they were audio files.
Also, after you send your files to the playing now window, if it's giving you that error, double click on the file in the playing now window. This makes them start playing - MJ's still having problems with some of it's video playback.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 06:27:08 pm »

I got WMP9 and installed it. It doesn't recognise M2V files, either. A "Browse" in Open File doesn't list m2v as an option. I even tried to force it to play it but it says it's "not a recognized file type". It does, however, play M1V files quite well. A rename to M1V doesn't fool it either.

The only player I've found that plays M2V files is NVidia and that's sort of expensive.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

nila

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2003, 06:34:00 am »

Char - It does play them.
I had a bit of a hassle with it too.

This is trying to remember and I could be slightly wrong but you'll have to play to find out:
Right click on the file and choose 'open with' then select WMP and choose 'always use'
It gave me some stupid error then about not suporting it but I told it to play it anyway and it worked fine.

To open it from within WMP, click on file, then open, then I did one of the two following things - cant remember which:
either chose 'show all files' and then opened it
or if it didn't have that option
for the filename I typed in * then hit enter so the filter disappears and it shows all files, I then selected an m2v file and opened it.

It was a bit tricky definitely but once I'd got it set up it worked fine and played them fine. Once I'd got WMP playing them then MC played them too.

Other than that, I used to use PowerDVD which seems to be able to play everything and plays it all extremely smoothly and well. Their playback engine is great. :)

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 09:27:29 am »

Nila,
It must be a difference between Win98 and XP (which I am assuming you have -- you know how that goes) versions of WMP9 but I tried all that just that way and it still won't play them. It actively refuses to play them even after I direct it to play them anyway.
I finally did get MC9 to recognize that the file was even there but got the same error message after "Play Anyway?".

JimH,
The file type is listed under Options>File Associations with MPEG type files but it's hidden off the right edge. You have to scroll through the total list of associations chosen at the top to see it.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

nila

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 12:17:41 am »

Ah,
It could be to do with Win98 - You have my sympathies for having to run it :)

It could be that the problem is caused by MC not telling WMP to play it after it says 'no, I dont want to play this, I'm going to sulk'. I know it does even though unwillingly as I've forced it to on mine unless it does install totally seperate versions of WMP on Win98 and WinXP.

PowerDVD otherwise is a great player that can play almost any format I've come accross and has a VERY good playback engine.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 05:54:41 pm »

Nila,
Thanks for the tip on PowerDVD. It works much better than NVidia. No jumpiness in the video and many more sound choices.

JRiver,
Check it out. It's the best one I've seen. Of course, at $69.95 it might make MC9 way out of range. Maybe an option for an external video player, too. AND with the added bonus of a big raspberry to Microsoft Media Player.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

wickesy

Re: M2V and M1V Movie Files
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 10:44:52 am »

Nila:

I have just upgraded to build 149 and after re-importing my .m2v files MC now recognises them as video files.  The only remaining problem is that it shows the duration as 0:00.

Have you managed to get MC to pick up the duration of .m2v files?
Pages: [1]   Go Up