INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio track missing during DVD Playback  (Read 1196 times)

kewe65

• World Citizen
Audio track missing during DVD Playback
« on: November 16, 2020, 03:29:48 pm »

I have a DVD that has a version of the film with audio commentary - there are actually two versions with two different commentaries.  When I try to play one of these (from the DVD menu), all I get is the film without the commentary.

I highly doubt its an issue with the DVD - brand new.   I ripped the DVD but the same thing happens whether I play it from the DVD drive in the PC or from the ripped files.

My assumption here is that there is an audio setting change I need to make.  While playing, in the Audio Path it says input is "48kh 32bit 1ch from source format ac3"
That in itself would not seem to be correct either but I'm not sure.

I'm using a Topping D10 USB DAC which should be perfectly capable of playback of multiple channels.  But it seems odd there's one input channel

Any suggestions on settings?   I don't have a separate DVD player connected to the TV to check the disk.

thanks

wrat

Re: Audio track missing during DVD Playback
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 04:22:42 am »

try playback WITHOUT the dac

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 10:20:21 am »

The DAC acts as the audio interface between the PC and the receiver.  It is essentially the audio card for the computer where I chose not to use up a PCIe slot for.

Also, all the other featurettes and the main film on the DVD work fine.   I bought a standard blu-ray/DVD player to see if it works there.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 01:46:58 pm »

What do you mean you get "the film without the commentary"?

Do you mean it plays with the main audio track, instead of the commentary track you want? Or do you mean the video plays with no audio at all?

And what do you mean "from the DVD menu"?  Do you mean the graphical interactive menu from the DVD that shows pretty background images, the same as you would see on the DVD player? Or do you mean the right-click menu available in MC during playback?

If you mean the actual graphical interactive menu from the disc, that doesn't always work. JRiver knows, but I have not heard of the issue being fixed yet.  See this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127088.msg881705.html#msg881705

Please download the mediainfo program (google it) and run it against your ripped file, and paste all the results into a post here, so we can see what's actually in your movie file.

It would also be good to see screenshots of your MC audio settings, and of the output format module from DSP Studio.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 07:00:47 pm »

I bought the relatively new 2 DVD set of Citizen Kane.  One of the DVDs has the full original film, plus two additional versions of the full film with commentary track.  The film plays and there's commentary while the film is going by the individual, one of them being Roger Ebert.

So when running MC to view the DVD either directly from the DVD drive (relatively new that came with a HP Workstation) or from the version ripped by MC, everything about the DVD works.  The graphical interface menu that you normally see on a DVD player comes up and I can see and select the different versions.  However the two versions with commentary do not play the commentary audio track that is supposed to be there while the movie plays.

That thread appears to be likely what is happening.  I've added a mediainfo file for what I think is the commentary file.

Now I have new problem.  When I try to play either ripped files or the DVD directly, MC freezes immediately and then crashes.  The 'safe mode' restart doesnt help

wer

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 07:26:10 pm »

Do you mean it plays with the main audio track, instead of the commentary track you want? Or do you mean the video plays with no audio at all?
You gave me a lot of description, but you still didn't answer the above question, and I don't see any screenshots I asked for.  So I can't help further without that info.

You can try using MC's language selection menu to select the right audio track if you ripped it correctly, via a right click as the movie is playing, as described in that thread.  Or try ripping the disk with MakeMKV (google if unfamiliar) to a single MKV file.

Oh, and the VOB you analyzed is only 21 minutes long, so I don't think it's the Citizen Kane movie. It has 3 audio tracks, 2 stereo and 1 mono. Might be a fragment.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 11:36:20 pm »

I did answer the questions.
- I said I was using the graphical menu seen dvd player layer
Later i tried the MC menu. Same problem.
I said I have new problem in that the app crashes. That kinda prevents me from taking screenshots so figured you would get why there are no screenshots.
I tried all four of the large video files on the DVD and all of them show the same duration.
I ripped from MC.  I ripped the DVD again and get the same result.  What does ripped correctly mean? 

But at this point the crashing of the software when trying to play the DVD even from the drive makes these other tests moot.  Now I have solve that problem first.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No change.

wer

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 01:19:33 am »

Ok... Just to be clear: I'm not a JRiver employee, I'm just another user, and I'm trying to help you for basically no reason other than to be nice.  So I'm not obligated to be here, and I'm trying not to lose my patience. So please, if you want help, read this post carefully.

You've said you answered the questions. But you have not answered all of them. One you have repeatedly ignored.

Read this quote. I have asked you twice:
What do you mean you get "the film without the commentary"?

I am asking for the third and last time. I need an answer to this question. It matters.

You have said "all I get is the film without the commentary" and "However the two versions with commentary do not play the commentary audio track".  You've also said "same problem". Those are not answers to my question.

I know the audio commentary does not play. You said that at the beginning, and I am paying attention to what you say. So what I am asking is Do you hear SILENCE, or do you hear the REGULAR AUDIO TRACK?  Do you understand the difference?  They indicate different problems.

You said you can't do screenshots because MC crashes when you try and play the DVD.  If MC doesn't crash when you DON'T try to play the DVD, then you CAN take the screenshots I asked for. I thought you would get that.  Or did you really mean that MC crashes immediately every time you try and run MC? That's not what you said, but that would prevent you from doing screenshots. It would also prevent you trying this next step:

With regard to your crashing, if MC works normally when doing things OTHER than playing your Citizen Kane video, meaning if you just start MC by clicking its icon then MC runs and you get the interface and it doesn't crash, then take those screenshots (there's nothing stopping you), and they let's try to fix the problem that it crashes when playing Citizen Kane (the ripped file, not from the DVD-Drive) by deleting the contents of the following two tags from the Citizen Kane movie:
Bookmark
Playback Info

Then try playing it again, and hopefully it will play.  If you don't know how to delete the contents of those tags, read this:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Edit_Properties_with_the_Action_Window

If clearing those tags allows the movie to play again (without the commentary, because that problem isn't fixed yet) then also take a screenshot of the right click menu you get when the movie is playing. Play the movie, right click on it, the menu will pop up, and immediately hit Alt-PrintScr   and that should get the menu contents into your clipboard. It will be helpful to see that menu.

If on the other hand MC crashes immediately every time you run MC, you probably have a corrupted library or registry. Try rebooting the PC. If that doesn't fix the crashing, one of the developers might be able to comment on the best next step in that case.

As for the problem of crashing when playing from the drive, you said rebooting doesn't help. I will leave that particular problem for the JRiver developers. They might want a log file. If you do a google search for "jriver dvd play crash" you will see several other threads that give you tips to try. Many of the threads refer to Windows DVD playback being broken by Windows updates, which are then fixed by more Windows updates.  If you want to pursue your broken dvd drive playback before responding on anything else, that's fine. Good luck.

As for what I mean by "rip properly": there are a lot of things that can go wrong or be done wrong during a rip. I do not know if the ripped file actually has all the contents you think it has, and without the full file, I can't be sure there's nothing wrong with it.  Additionally, there can be problems with playback of IFO images, as you saw in the other thread. The only real reason to have the IFO is to maintain the use of the interactive graphical DVD menu. Some people love that and think it's really important. Personally, I think it's a toy, and gets in the way.  If you don't feel you can't live without the menus, MakeMKV is a program that does an outstanding job of ripping a disk losslessly, preserving all desired soundtracks and subtitle tracks from the movie, and puts it all in one file that is highly compatible with many playback applications, without forced trailers and advertisements, FBI warnings, or other nonsense. You almost certainly would not be having this problem if you ripped the disk to an MKV. It is also easy to validate the integrity of an MKV file using mkvalidator.  So in my opinion, ripping to MKV is preferable in most cases.

So we're trying to fix your problems with this rip, but you also have the option to rip to a different format and avoid these types of problems.

Hopefully this is all clear, and will get us back on the right track.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 02:42:39 pm »

Hi - I'm at a loss here.  You say you're asking me for a 3rd and final time "Do you mean it plays with the main audio track, instead of the commentary track you want? Or do you mean the video plays with no audio at all?"

And then this: "I know the audio commentary does not play. You said that at the beginning, and I am paying attention to what you say. So what I am asking is Do you hear SILENCE, or do you hear the REGULAR AUDIO TRACK?  Do you understand the difference?  They indicate different problems."

Just butt out.  I don't care for your condescension so it's pointless to continue this conversation with you.  Your attempt to help is not help at all.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 02:59:44 pm »

Oh well.

Closing this now.

kewe, feel free to start a new one.

wer

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 03:07:07 pm »

Your attitude and your refusal to cooperate when you're asking for help are very counterproductive, and they insult and waste the time of people trying to assist you. Maybe you'll find someone more tolerant of that sort of behavior. Good luck to you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up