INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with 4K playback  (Read 2395 times)

zimmy

• Recent member
Issues with 4K playback
« on: November 20, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »

I'm trying to playback a 4k blu-ray remux .mkv file using JRiver 27.0.26 on an Intel BXNUC10i7FNK Core i7-10710U 6-Core NUC running Windows 10 Pro.  The sound is going via an 18GB HDMI cable to a Marantz 7015 receiver and on to a 4K display.  I'm using the latest version of the Intel UHD graphics drivers.

The file has DTS-HD MA audio track and video has HDR.  I am trying to play with HDMI bitstream enabled.  When I play the file no sound comes through and the receiver shows Stereo.  When I turn off bitstreaming the audio plays but only in stereo.  I also don't see the HDR indicator on my display.  For video I've tried the Red October Standard and HQ settings.  I've also tried the setting in MadVR that says pass HDR through to the display.   

I also have the Sony UBPX800M2 blu-ray player.  It can access my JRiver DLNA server and the same mkv file.  When played through the blu-ray player everything works.  The receiver shows its receiving the DTS-HD MA and the display shows HDR.

So what could be going wrong playing it on the NUC?  I've gone through every setting I can think of with no luck.  Appreciate any suggestions.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with 4K playback
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:18 am »

When using RO Standard, MC will do HDR tone mapping (so no HDR logo will pop up)

When using RO HQ and tick "passthrough HDR to display", did you also tick "send HDR metadata to display"?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:54:55 pm »

Thanks for the clarification.  I do have the metadata setting ticked.  And I think I have sorted the HDR issue.  I have the OS set to use HDR, so I think when a new source also has HDR the logo doesn't pop up again.  I confirmed this by turning off my tvs HDR capability while playing the file.  When I then turned it back on while playing the logo popped up.

Is there a way to use RO Standard settings but pass through HDR?  The video seems to stutter a bit with the other HQ settings enabled.  Not sure if the graphics on my NUC are powerful enough for all the MadVR settings.

Also still have the issue of bitstreaming the DTS-HD audio.  What could be the issue with that?  I enabled logging, and while the logs were mostly gibberish I could see that JRiver was correctly recognizing the DTS-HD track.  I'm also able to bitstream the two lower resolution commentary tracks.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 07:43:57 pm »

An update.  I was able to track down others with the same problems bitstreaming DTS-HD and the other hi-res formats.  Seems to be a bug with the NUC10 and and NUC8 systems going into HDMI 2.1 receivers.  See the moderators posts on Sept 30 and Nov 3 on this thread:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC10i5-wont-bitstream-audio-to-brand-new-AVR-especially-DTS-X/td-p/1186882/page/3

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 09:32:57 pm »

Thanks for reporting that.

wer

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 12:34:58 am »

When I turn off bitstreaming the audio plays but only in stereo. 

When you turn off bitstreaming, MC will decode the audio, and output it as multichannel PCM, which should be ok.

You do need to go into Output Format and set the number of channels to 7.1 (source # of channels can sometimes cause issues).

I would expect that to fix the stereo only problem when MC does the decoding, since there is no decoding for the receiver to do.  Try it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up