INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV tuner in the Media Center 9.xxx  (Read 2879 times)

othonk

• nothing more to say...
TV tuner in the Media Center 9.xxx
« on: March 13, 2003, 03:05:50 pm »

I have just installed the latest version of Media Center and I have already obtain the licence for it, but I can't setup the TV tuner, because my country - Greece -, is missing from the corresponding catalog of the supported countries. Why?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV tuner in the Media Center 9.xxx
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 05:32:00 am »

According to Microsoft documentation, Greece's TV standard is SECAM_B, and country code is 30.

Do you see any of the following countries in the list?

Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Mauritania, Mauritius, Equatorial Guinea, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Iran

These countries also use SECAM_B standard. If you see any of these, try selecting one of them and see what happens. However I believe if you do not see Greece, you would not see these countries either.

What are the brand and model of your TV card? What is the version of drivers?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

othonk

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 11:17:02 am »

It seems that Microsoft's documentation is at least very obsolete!
Greece's country code is actually 30, but its TV standard is PAL_G (it used to be SEKAM until the end of '80s).
I don't see any of the countries you mention for, but you gave me the idea to try to setup TV putting in the corresponding field another country that actually has PAL_G as TV standard, so I put "Germany" and it worked. Everything is OK now, but the bug is still bug and must be corrected soon!
My TV card is Pinnacle PCTV Pro, and I use the latest drivers for it (5.11).
Anyway, I thank you very much for your response.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 01:03:33 pm »

Thanks for the info.

This should be easy to fix.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 01:04:05 am »

Hi othonk,

may I ask a question: You say that you run MC9 with Pinnacle PCTV Pro and the latest drivers from Pinnacle 5.11. And you say it works with MC9?

Can you be a little bit more specific!

The latest time I tried that out it did not work! According to J River and Yaobing the Pinnacle cards are not supported directly, but only through the BT_WDM driver.  And this only worked if I deinstalled the vendor supplied drivers.

The drawback of running the BT-WDM driver is that you do not get the names of the TV channels automatically nor is the best available channel automatically selected like the vendor supplied drivers!

But you say that you can run MC9 with vendor supplied drivers from Pinnacle! Correct?

FYI I did the testing about a year ago with version 4 of the Pinnacle software! As Pinnacle charges quite some money for the upgrade to version 5 I would really like to know more about it. Thank you!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 04:07:49 am »

Jaggu,

The best thing to do is to try it out. If Pinnacle systems new driver is WDM, then there is a good chance it will work. But when I asked them several months ago, I was told they did not plan to release WDM driver for PCTV PRO because they would not continue this line of product.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 04:23:26 am »

I did a quick browse of Pinnacle Systems web site. It appears that they do not have WDM drivers for PCTVs in the United States, but they do have them in Europe.

Benjamin0

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 05:13:38 am »

hi,

i have the same problem with France, where the system is Secam.
Is someone ca help me to chose the best configuration?

thanks for your help

Benjamin

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 06:38:00 am »

Benjamin,

SECAM_L is the TV standard in France, right? And France is the only country using that standard. The Country code is 33.

There are a whole host of countries using SECAM_D (Russia, Ukraine, etc.) SECAM_K (Gambia, Guinea, French Guiana, French Polynesia, etc.), and SECAM_B (Egypt, Morocco, etc.).

What TV card do you have? What is the driver version? Does the program supplied by card manufacturer work correctly?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2003, 03:36:50 am »

Yaobing,

received the new Pinnacle PCTV 5.11 software package this morning and installed it right away.

The BT_WDM drivers were neatly replaced by the Pinnacle WDM drivers and everything works great. I can now even use both products, MC9 and Pinnacle TV without problem, which was not the case before.

The Pinnacle WDM give a much better TV experience on MC9. There is only one item that causes problems:

Scanning for TV channels returns only 32 channels between 41-48 and 107-341, while with the BT_WDM channels I had all channels from 3 to 341.
I can add channels by hand between 49 and 106 and they are there, they are just not found by autoscan (like all the Swiss TV channels)!
Any clue?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2003, 04:00:30 am »

Scanning for TV channels returns only 32 channels between 41-48 and 107-341, while with the BT_WDM channels I had all channels from 3 to 341.
I can add channels by hand between 49 and 106 and they are there, they are just not found by autoscan (like all the Swiss TV channels)!
Any clue?

I have no clue at the moment. I did not even know there could be this many channels  :D

Markus

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 07:25:04 am »

I also have a Pinnacle PCTV and it runs ok with the included software (pctv-vision). But MC9.134 just brings up the Message:

Information
! Failed to Play TV. (unknown error)
                                                         |OK|

It comes up when clicking on the "Advanced"- or the "Scan"-Button in the TV-Tuner Settings. I freshly installed DirectX9a and the newest Pinnacle drivers and it works great with the included tools.
   I remember that some time ago when I tried to make TV run under MC there was the possibility to change the Tunerfilter or something like that somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.  There were two choices. One was a "real" name (PCTV or something?) and the other was a filename (xxxxxx.dll?). Maybe this is somehow related to the problem.
   Has anyone had similar experiences? Can anyone help?

Markus

System info:

Media Center Registered 9.0.134 -- C:\Programme\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1532 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 2:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:44  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2003, 09:11:32 am »

Markus,

pctvcap.dll is a vfw driver and it does not work. What is worse is that it can not be uninstalled cleanly. So it still appears in the list of video devices. If you happened to have selected it in the past, it would give you the trouble as you described.

As it is now, since you can not successfully initialize TV, you are not able to access the option that changes the video capture device. To get around this problem, delete the TV Settings registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\TV Settings

(or if you do not want to lose any custom settings, delete only the "VideoDeviceDisplayName" and "VideoDevice" values under that key).

Now start TV, and you will be asked to select a video device. Make sure you do not select pctvcap.dll.

Markus

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 04:36:12 pm »

Thanks a lot - that solved it!

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2003, 12:16:07 am »

Yaobing,

right now you seem to sort channels by their number... and I can't see any other option..
Any chance you can add an option to sort them by name or even a user configurable (drag&drop) sorting?

I know, I can work around this using playlists, but it still doesn't work too good...

Ingo

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2003, 11:07:09 am »

It is actually sorted by name on the Channels window.

I have, for example

ABC 7
Channel 2
Channel 5
etc.

On Options you can sort it by number or by name.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2003, 02:38:17 pm »

Yaobing,

you're right, but look at playing now. it's sorted by channel number, not name. using the left/right-button in the middle of the lower bar in the tv-window follows the same scheme.... not the channel names.

Ingo

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2003, 05:08:30 pm »

Actually, in the Channels window it is not strictly sorted by name. It looks more like a name/number combination.

In Playing Now, on the other hand, you can click on the Name heading to sort by name (truly), like

Channel 11
Channel 16
Channel 2
Channel 5
etc.

It seems that we need some consistency. I will let Matt know. He does this part.  :)

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2003, 11:40:16 pm »

Actually, in the Channels window it is not strictly sorted by name. It looks more like a name/number combination.

In Playing Now, on the other hand, you can click on the Name heading to sort by name (truly), like

Channel 11
Channel 16
Channel 2
Channel 5
etc.

true... but I have to click on it.... and I have to update the playback order ... thats three clicks each time I start tv (plus the one to get to playing now)
and still, using the left/right buttons on the lower middle unsorts them all again....

I have my channels named
01 ard
02 zdf
03 br
04 3sat
05 orf2

(these are German/Bavarian/Austrian channels)

It seems that we need some consistency. I will let Matt know. He does this part.  :)

great.... please tell him to sort it by name ;-)
(or add a track number to each channel... and sort by that one (plus allow direct channel change from a remote (directly jump to "03 BR" even when I'm at  "16 MTV2")))

Ingo

p.s.: the best would probably be to completly get rid of that 'special' tv stuff... put all configuration stuff in the regular options dialog, add a new view scheme that only shows media=TV and treat tv channels just like any other media type....
just a thought for 9.1/10

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2003, 02:21:37 pm »

bumb.

even though channels are listed in alphabetical order in the tv-node, once tv viewing is started the order isn't preserved in playing now.

one more thing: using a channel name that has a "/" in it seems to confuse MC even more.

Ingo
Pages: [1]   Go Up