INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote (iOS) 3.34  (Read 10955 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
JRemote (iOS) 3.34
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:32:49 pm »

JRemote (iOS) 3.34 has been released.

Changes in this build:

Built with a launch storyboard.
    Local video playback to the iPhone/iPad implements the new Media Center 27 video playback method.

Issues still to be addressed:

Themes and dark mode don't always play together nice.
    Initial display of the scroll area should be top justified and appears to be centered. (Change in iOS 11)
    Quick jump on lists when article sorting is enabled.
    Rotation of the playing now screen on 4.7" iPhones (where rotation is supposed to be disabled).

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote (iOS) 3.34
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:12:25 am »

Display problem.   On my iphone 10 the top and bottom of the JRemote screen overshoots the physical limits of the apple screen so some of the text is obscured.   

jdindc

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 09:28:10 am »

I am experiencing the same display problem as mstan on my iPhone 10.  When browsing music while other music is playing, the "now playing" information at the bottom of the phone is partially obscured -- the information field is so far down that it's hard to press it to return to the "now playing" screen."

Even worse, on the "now playing" screen, the information at the top of the screen (Artist/Album/Track) is almost entirely obscured.

HaWi

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:00:41 am »

I am experiencing the same display problem as mstan on my iPhone 10.  When browsing music while other music is playing, the "now playing" information at the bottom of the phone is partially obscured -- the information field is so far down that it's hard to press it to return to the "now playing" screen."

Even worse, on the "now playing" screen, the information at the top of the screen (Artist/Album/Track) is almost entirely obscured.
Yup, same here, iPhoneX.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 01:52:15 pm »

Same here on my iPhone X and the latest iPad Pro without Touch ID which Needs more room on bottom of iPad.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Richee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 02:18:52 pm »

Same problems on IPhone 12. On playing now,
including all tracks playing screen, artist info in
the IPhone cut out area at top.
On any other page the bottom of page is in the
IPhone black Home bar area.
All else seems to work great.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:35:52 pm »

There shouldn't be any visible UI changes from version 3.33. Please confirm that these items you are reporting didn't occur on version 3.33.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 03:15:54 pm »

I was excited to see the iOS update for my iPhone X showing full screen. But it’s clearly not right with the aspect ratio. Please see screenshot. Hopefully not a tough fix for the developers. We’ve been waiting for this for awhile now. Please provide ETA. And thanks in advance!

Spence

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 03:17:51 pm »

Definitely new behavior on the iPhone 11 Pro Bob.

The display is larger - which does look great btw - however does go beyond the screen as indicated in this thread.

Most of the issues don't show up in a screenshot, as they ignore the areas in question.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 03:24:23 pm »

This is weird as the screenshot should show it cutting off at the top. See attachment again to show what I actually see in JR.

Thanks,
Spence

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 04:06:24 pm »

There shouldn't be any visible UI changes from version 3.33. Please confirm that these items you are reporting didn't occur on version 3.33.
I only saw these problems when version 3.34 was just auto updated on my phone.  So presumably 3.33 has been running since its June release and I have seen no issues until 3.34.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 04:10:48 pm »

The previous version of JR wasn’t full screen on iPhone X and newer models. They just need to fix the aspect ratio for newer devices.

Thanks.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 12:01:33 am »

3.33 was definitely not full screen like 3.34 is on my iPhone X and iPad Pro. See attached screenshot of bottom of iPad that needs more room.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Grga-Ri

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 01:58:00 am »

Here also same display problem on iPhone X...

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 04:21:55 am »

Yes indeed, also on iPad Pro 2020. It’s not possible anymore to cue a track with the slider. It gets in conflict with the white line below.

Grga-Ri

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 04:36:34 am »

I confirm that reported UI issues did not existed in 3.33.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 04:48:42 am »

I also confirm

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 06:44:01 am »

And yet here, as attached, on my 11 Pro Max, it's ok.

My only moan would be that the album and track info is obscured by the notch. Would be better if that empty space beneath the artwork could be used to bump that info down from behind the notch.

marko.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 08:49:13 am »

Since we didn’t change anything with regards to the UI from 3.33 the difference is probably related to using a newer version of the development environment.
We’ll see what can be done to fix it.

Since none of the beta testers reported this issue, any of you that are having the issue and would like to get beta’s in the future should send me a PM so I can add you to the beta testers list.
Thanks.

xeroian

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 11:59:28 am »

Bob & all, apologies for not beta testing 3.34 but the TestFlight description only said “video playback” and I don’t do video. It wasn’t until release I found it also uses unique MC27 features (which I don’t have) and is “built with a launch storyboard” whatever that means. I will be more diligent next time. As an ex-developer I should know better. More fulsome TestFlight descriptions might help too.

Cheers, Ian

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 12:19:56 am »

Bob & all, apologies for not beta testing 3.34 but the TestFlight description only said “video playback” and I don’t do video. It wasn’t until release I found it also uses unique MC27 features (which I don’t have) and is “built with a launch storyboard” whatever that means. I will be more diligent next time. As an ex-developer I should know better. More fulsome TestFlight descriptions might help too.

Cheers, Ian
Hey Ian, not a problem, that’s why we like to have several beta testers.
I had no idea the development environment had changed enough to cause this. 
That’s always a peril when developing for Apple (and I’m a pretty avid Apple user).
I’ve got an iPhone 12 device to test with now and the issue is obvious.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 10:06:40 am »

My problem is not solved so far with the beta. The cueing bar is still too close to the white line and the end of the screen to be able to be used. In all views/screens.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 11:30:54 am »

The existing beta is equivalent to the release version.
There won't be a new one before next week at the earliest.

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 07:34:18 am »

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!
I had been running JRemote (purchased way back in 2014) on my iPad (purchased last year). A few months ago, after touching the icon, the app would open and then disappear right away. I am just getting around to the Forum this morning to make this post. V3.34 shows up in my AppStore account but the app does not appear in Settings along with all the other apps. Suggestions for resolving this problem?
Thanks,
Paul

MikeO

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 03:40:34 am »

While your at it have you noticed the very first splash screen has changed, not an issue just looks odd

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 05:31:42 pm »

Just to report back, the cropping is also wrong on my iPhone X and iPhone 11 Pro. I suspect something like this is why it is happening to you on some aspect ratios (and not others): https://leekahseng.medium.com/how-to-solve-the-most-common-interface-problems-when-adapting-apps-ui-for-iphone-x-44c0f3c80d84

JRemote also has long-had the second issue listed in that article, it is worth mentioning.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 08:51:46 am »

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!
I had been running JRemote (purchased way back in 2014) on my iPad (purchased last year). A few months ago, after touching the icon, the app would open and then disappear right away. I am just getting around to the Forum this morning to make this post. V3.34 shows up in my AppStore account but the app does not appear in Settings along with all the other apps. Suggestions for resolving this problem?
Thanks,
Paul
If you delete JRemote and re-install it you will clear the database and that should fix the open/disappear issue.
JRemote has it's own settings which ar per-server. It only has the stock apple permissions under your iDevice settings.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 08:53:34 am »

Just to report back, the cropping is also wrong on my iPhone X and iPhone 11 Pro. I suspect something like this is why it is happening to you on some aspect ratios (and not others): https://leekahseng.medium.com/how-to-solve-the-most-common-interface-problems-when-adapting-apps-ui-for-iphone-x-44c0f3c80d84

JRemote also has long-had the second issue listed in that article, it is worth mentioning.
IIRC I've seen that article before.
The issues are outlined but the fixes don't apply.
JRemote is not made with Xcode and doesn't use interface builder.

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 05:13:03 pm »

Yes, I deleted the app, downloaded, and it works fine! Thanks and have a great day.

gulp

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 05:39:47 pm »

Is there something one can do against the fact that cover art within views is never completely visible as always single covers seem not to be cached and visible? As soon as I switch to another server and back to the original, all the cover art in the one view shown before is complete.

HeweyBoy

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2020, 01:50:46 pm »

Hi,

Have just upgraded to MC27. Have been using MC and JRemote for years and use it almost daily.

Do we have any idea how long it will take for the display errors to be corrected as regards iPhone?

In the now playing screen the artist and track information cannot be read due to the iPhone screen “notch”. The display layout is wong in the latest release.

I appreciate that this is only cosmetic but it is rather annoying.

Any idea on timeframe?

Many thanks 🙏

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2020, 04:10:30 pm »

Bob is aware of the display issues and is currently working on a fix.

Cheers

aladar

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 08:56:08 am »

Hi everybody, is it possible to view the images or pdf inside the folder of each album from this app ?
It would be nice to view multiple cover or booklet.
Thanks

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2020, 11:55:30 am »

Hi everybody, is it possible to view the images or pdf inside the folder of each album from this app ?
It would be nice to view multiple cover or booklet.
Thanks
Yes, works great.  Shows up as a paperclip.  Select the paperclip from the album view and it will take you to the pdf.  A great feature IMO.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2020, 05:29:53 pm »

Any update on the display issue?? I had been looking forward to the display finally fitting my iPhone 11. The latest update made it so much worse than the smaller version for older iPhones. It’s my favorite app and I’m surprised it was pushed live with the obvious issue.
Hope for a fix soon. Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2020, 05:34:51 pm »

Any update on the display issue?? I had been looking forward to the display finally fitting my iPhone 11. The latest update made it so much worse than the smaller version for older iPhones. It’s my favorite app and I’m surprised it was pushed live with the obvious issue.
Hope for a fix soon. Thanks.
There is a beta in process. It's slow going but the issue on the bottom of the screen seems to be fixed. Don't expect anything before the New Year.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2020, 07:02:10 pm »

Can I try out the beta?

aladar

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2020, 11:23:12 am »

Yes, works great.  Shows up as a paperclip.  Select the paperclip from the album view and it will take you to the pdf.  A great feature IMO.
Hi again, I’m on the album view but I don’t see any paperclip. Maybe is there any option that I need to activate to show that paperclip? I’m using an iPad with last OS.
Thank you

HeweyBoy

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2020, 04:07:21 pm »

Can I try out the beta?

I am unsure how these app updates work, but if the process is slow going to implement, can you perhaps roll back to the previous version in the meantime?

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 08:46:52 pm »

I would love to roll back. The new IOS app display issue makes it very difficult to use at times. Can’t click settings, can’t see name I’m searching for, can’t see song title when listening.
I really hope this is fixed soon.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2020, 09:13:12 am »

Hey, thanks JRiver. I was sent an invite to load a new beta version. See attached pic.
I loaded the app and I’m not seeing any difference with the display issues on my iPhone 11.
Still can’t see the search box populating when searching artist, album, etc. And, the top copy  in the now playing screen showing song title is also still cutting off.
I appreciate the beta version and I’m happy to continue testing as any new versions become available.

Thanks guys and good luck!
Spence

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2020, 09:31:07 am »

Hey, thanks JRiver. I was sent an invite to load a new beta version. See attached pic.
I loaded the app and I’m not seeing any difference with the display issues on my iPhone 11.
Still can’t see the search box populating when searching artist, album, etc. And, the top copy  in the now playing screen showing song title is also still cutting off.
I appreciate the beta version and I’m happy to continue testing as any new versions become available.

Thanks guys and good luck!
Spence
You're welcome.
The issues with the bottom of the screen is the only thing that's been fixed so far (see the beta release notes).
More coming after new years.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2020, 10:14:50 am »

Okay. Thanks. The bottom screen does look better.

Appreciate the hard work. Happy New Year and please send along any beta versions when they become available.

Thanks!

HeweyBoy

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2020, 02:31:35 am »

If possible, can I please try out the beta?
Many thanks 🙏

yenibahar

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2021, 03:38:10 pm »

Hi! I unfortunately have the "Audio streaming error" problem.

Until recently I always used iTunes to rip my CDs into ALAC, discarding iTunes' cover art and instead appending manually one cover art in the 900x900 pix dimensions. JRemote never had a problem reading these ALAC files when streaming from my PC Media Center server.

However, I recently switched to a bit-perfect ripping solution EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to improve the quality of my rips. Now for the first time ever JRemote is not playing my ALAC files that have been ripped with EAC software that uses FFMpeg (Version: 2020-12-27-git-bff6fbead8-essentials_build) as external encoder for ALAC. After the ripping/ALAC conversion, I embed the cover art manually into the music files using iTunes, in a 900X900 size (typically ~300-350kb). The files play perfectly fine on my PC in JRiver Media Center (and any other PC audio app) as well as PlexAmp on my iPhone but JRemote on iPhone Xs gives the audio streaming error. I even tried to reduce the size of the embedded cover art into 600x600pix. No change. It's a pity. Unless there is a fix for JRemote, I will have to retire JRemote and switch to PlexAmp for streaming onto my iPhone... :-(

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 05:02:28 pm »

Hi! I unfortunately have the "Audio streaming error" problem.

Until recently I always used iTunes to rip my CDs into ALAC, discarding iTunes' cover art and instead appending manually one cover art in the 900x900 pix dimensions. JRemote never had a problem reading these ALAC files when streaming from my PC Media Center server.

However, I recently switched to a bit-perfect ripping solution EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to improve the quality of my rips. Now for the first time ever JRemote is not playing my ALAC files that have been ripped with EAC software that uses FFMpeg (Version: 2020-12-27-git-bff6fbead8-essentials_build) as external encoder for ALAC. After the ripping/ALAC conversion, I embed the cover art manually into the music files using iTunes, in a 900X900 size (typically ~300-350kb). The files play perfectly fine on my PC in JRiver Media Center (and any other PC audio app) as well as PlexAmp on my iPhone but JRemote on iPhone Xs gives the audio streaming error. I even tried to reduce the size of the embedded cover art into 600x600pix. No change. It's a pity. Unless there is a fix for JRemote, I will have to retire JRemote and switch to PlexAmp for streaming onto my iPhone... :-(
After a exchange of emails we discovered this know issue with HDTracks (and now I assume EAC with ALAC output) files.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128155.0.html

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2021, 11:58:04 am »

Unsure if this is intentional or a bug, but albums with the same name gets merged even though there is multiple artists and year of release. Both iPad and iPhone. If not a bug, is it possible to seperate it somehow?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2021, 01:29:05 pm »

Look at the tags for Artist, Album, and Album Artist.   The wiki explains what they are.

sdmarquart

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2021, 06:23:48 pm »

Received an email from JRiver today about exciting new things happening within the program. And then I read this:

“JRemote for iOS
A lot of work has been done recently to improve display on different models of iPhones.  Most problems should be fixed now.”

Um, it is most definitely not fixed. You can’t see the search bar, when adding text, and you can’t see the song title name at the top in now playing mode. Basically, since the last updat the ratio display is way off and I’m not holding my breath on a fix. It’s just disappointing cause it is a great app and my most used.

But most problems are not fixed.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2021, 03:59:46 am »

Um, it is most definitely not fixed. You can’t see the search bar, when adding text, and you can’t see the song title name at the top in now playing mode. Basically, since the last updat the ratio display is way off and I’m not holding my breath on a fix. It’s just disappointing cause it is a great app and my most used.

Most issues implies there's issues still remaining, with that one (if I recall correctly) being one of them. There's a list of some of the known issues in the first post of this topic which are being worked on by Bob.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up