INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate files on import  (Read 2437 times)

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
Duplicate files on import
« on: December 15, 2020, 08:25:37 am »

So, I only just realized I've got a problem with my library.  I'm running 26.0.56 from shiomax/jrivermc26 Docker on my unraid server.  For the most part it works fine, but after ripping some CDs today from my desktop (using MC and a standalone library) to the unraid location where my music is, I ended up with all the new files triplicated in my library.  All I did was run the auto-import after the riping was done.

Looking at the "Possible Duplicates" I see I've got tons of duplicates, all with the same pattern, the exact same path (which exists) imported multiple times.  I even went in and tried to delete the duplicates manually but they don't seem to go away.

Any thoughts?  One more bit of background, this library was originally from my Windows install, which I backed up and restored in the Docker instance, and then find/replaced the Windows path the Docker path.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Duplicate files on import
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:09:18 am »

Did you by chance export and reimport your library over from a previous windows-based library?  I only ask because the slashes in your file path are backwards (in the windows style), which isn't normal in MC for Linux.  When I last moved a windows library over to Linux I had a similar issue to you (duplicate imports and backwards file paths).  All the files that were duplcated for me had special characters in them as well (apostrophes, ampersands, or dollar signs, etc.)

Can you post the content of your ~/.jriver/Media Center 27/Library/Platform.jmd file?  If it's anything other than "Linux" that would be a good sign that you're seeing something similar to what I saw.  For me fixing the platform.jmd and then deleting and reentering all of my auto-import rules (which had the wrong path structure) fixed the duplicate imports, but I had to do some manual clean up of duplicates afterwards.

There have been a few longer threads about this also:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117593
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123748.0.html

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:36:27 am »

What do you know, it does say:
Code: [Select]
[Platform]=Windows
I think I've already got my import rules fixed, but I'll change the platform and clean up and see what happens.

Thanks!

-edit

Well that worked pretty well, here's what I did:
  • Fixed the platform.jmd to say Linux
  • Did a rename (update) of "\" with "/"
  • Ran an auto-import with fix links set to "Yes"

After that I had only a handful of duplicates which were easily fixed manually.  On top of that the auto import didn't find any new files (unlike previous runs, where it kept finding lots of "new" files).

So I think we're good, thanks again!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 01:23:14 pm »

Awesome!  I love it when I guess right the first time  ;D

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 01:59:28 pm »

Me too  8)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 02:32:26 pm »

And I love it when somebody has had the same problem as me before, so I can search and find the solution!  ;D So thanks!

Well, almost a solution. Because I had a problem with some (but not all, for some reason) files being imported without the album name. I got a window saying "Something went wrong with playback. Details: The file could not be found. Check that the filename in the library matches the filename on disk." I saw that the file name in the library was messed up.

My structure is like this (on an USB disk): /media/pi/MP3/Album/"Genre"/"Artist" - "Album"/ "Track number" - "Filename.mp3"
But for a random selection of files it got like this:/media/pi/MP3/Album/"Genre"/"Artist" -/ "Track number" - "Filename.mp3"

I say random because if I import the same genre folder twice the files that were wrong would differ.  But finally, on deleting the library and importing all again I think I have it working. ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 06:47:59 pm »

Thanks, Tor.  That's a nice clue.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 01:56:28 am »

I hope you can find something out from it. I have stuff in my Windows library that isn't in any tags and that I would like to get over to the Pi library, only the basic stuff is in tags, like artist, album, genre. But it works now, I have ran the import three times, and on the two last it didn't find any new files.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 05:17:42 pm »

What do you know, it does say:
Code: [Select]
[Platform]=Windows
I think I've already got my import rules fixed, but I'll change the platform and clean up and see what happens.

Thanks!

-edit

Well that worked pretty well, here's what I did:
  • Fixed the platform.jmd to say Linux
  • Did a rename (update) of "\" with "/"
  • Ran an auto-import with fix links set to "Yes"

After that I had only a handful of duplicates which were easily fixed manually.  On top of that the auto import didn't find any new files (unlike previous runs, where it kept finding lots of "new" files).

So I think we're good, thanks again!
I've done step 1, I hope steps 2 and 3 fix it for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up