INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id - swapping ssd to sshd  (Read 1820 times)

Dantos

• World Citizen
Id - swapping ssd to sshd
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:32:39 pm »

Hi
I recently bought an Id with internal 240GB SSD. In hindsight I should have gone for the 2TB internal drive option.

Can I simply buy a 2TB disk and swap them?

Is it a 7mm height SATA disk? Are SSHDs compatible?

Do I need to reconfigure anything to have it recognized as the "Internal Media" as seen on my network (please note I am a complete Linux newbie)

TIA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Id - swapping ssd to sshd
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:37:08 pm »

You could add an external USB drive.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 08:20:54 pm »

You could add an external USB drive.

I'm trying to avoid an external USB Drive. With over 1 TB of music to transfer it takes days (over a week) using usb and constant I/O errors with Allways sync. Even cloning/imaging program (Paragon and casper) 'drop out' and choke. I need a reliable and fast way to copy or clone large amounts of music files to an internally connected disk on my main pc, then physically reinstall that disk in the ID.

So, replace the ssd with a 7mm high 2.5" 2TB sshd and any OS re-configuring is automatic?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 09:58:00 pm »

I'm trying to avoid an external USB Drive. With over 1 TB of music to transfer it takes days (over a week) using usb and constant I/O errors with Allways sync.
I think that's way off. It should be a couple of hours or less with USB 3.0.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 12:24:54 am »

I think that's way off. It should be a couple of hours or less with USB 3.0.

Thanks for reply Jim

I can't argue with the maths. USB 3.0 (USB 3.2 Gen 1) on a good day has a speed of 5 Gigabits/sec or 0.625 GB/s so 1TB would take 1600 seconds or about half an hour. If a HDD can write at say 1 Gbps, that's 2 to 3 hours ! Trouble is I never seem to get remotely close to this (on any machine and various external drives).

Putting aside you have thousands of smaller files and latencies for each read/write .....it just goes way faster on internally connected sataIII drives. Allways sync shows I/O errors for external usb and this is with a brand new usb 3 external drive.

Do you or others actually transfer TBs of music files in a couple of hours over usb 3 ? Any advice appreciated

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:44:25 am »

I've not done a TB, but I have done 100's of GB's.  USB 3.0 is fast.  It wouldn't be fast if it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port or if the network is involved.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 08:58:45 am »

A USB 3.0 external drive would only transfer at USB 3.0 speeds max (5 Gbps) even if plugged into a 3.1 (Gen2, 10Gbps) or 3.2 port (Gen 2 x2 @ 20 Gbps), No ?.

One option is to try with an internal drive which I can swap between machines to do large transfers (using internal SATA III ports). Although SATA III is only 6 Gbps it's throughput seems to go a lot faster IME due to apparent lack of other bottlenecks when compared to using external drives

I would have to buy a suitable internal drive and thus wanted to confirm the form factor in my OP and if it was 'plug and play' easy to do. Also, hybrid discs (sshd) are said to have high write speeds but not as expensive as SSDs so considering that as a potential way to go

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 09:37:09 am »

Should have said 2.0.  Corrected above.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 09:39:07 am »

You can't change the internal drive on an Id.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 03:00:45 pm »

You can't change the internal drive on an Id.

Oh, wow, I am glad I asked the question in the OP but would you mind elaborating a little. Its just an internal drive, I don't understand why it cannot be changed. What if the drive fails?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 03:35:24 pm »

We ship it fully configured.  You could always reformat it and use it for something else.

If you want a bigger drive, we could swap it for the difference in price plus shipping.  You'd need to ship the computer to us.

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 04:05:50 pm »

We ship it fully configured.  You could always reformat it and use it for something else.

If you want a bigger drive, we could swap it for the difference in price plus shipping.  You'd need to ship the computer to us.

Okay, I understand. One of the great things about the Id is its pre-configured simplicity.

For me, it means i will stick with an external drive to place the media.

For those that may be experiencing similar slow USB multi-TB transfer speeds using standard external drives I will likely look at external drive enclosures where I can remove the disk and plug it into my main pc.Then reinstall into the enclosure after media has been placed. Obviously network drives are another option for media. Hopefully newer and currently expensive options like large SSD/NVMe  drives and thunderbolt /PCI solutions will get cheaper

Jim, Merry and safe Christmas to you and yours and the JRiver community. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up